Uconn loses | Syracusefan.com

Uconn loses

While on an emotional level this may be satisfying, in the end, this hurts our conference RPI, and thus negatively impacts our own seeding.

In short, we want Big East teams to win all of their non-conference games. So UConn losing to NMex is not a good thing, all else being equal.

yeah I know. but at this point I loathe uconn to such an extent that I simply can't not cheer when they lose. I'll be cheering quite alot this year, and for several years to come.

uconn

:)

While on an emotional level this may be satisfying, in the end, this hurts our conference RPI, and thus negatively impacts our own seeding.

In short, we want Big East teams to win all of their non-conference games. So UConn losing to NMex is not a good thing, all else being equal.

I know that this is the logical answer, but I don't give a s&?!. I want our enemies to lose and couldn't care less. Actually, that's totally not true: I'm happy they lost.

44cuse

I know that this is the logical answer, but I don't give a s&?!. I want our enemies to lose and couldn't care less. Actually, that's totally not true: I'm happy they lost.

44cuse

Correct. Elite programs don't worry about conference RPIs etc. we are good enough that it doesn't matter how good our conference brethren are. We are going to be a 1 or 2 seed assuming we play up to our expectations. Bubble teams worry about how the rest of their conference performs. .

Why is our recruiting so good?

Because we don't lose to turds like New Mexico.

Correct. Elite programs don't worry about conference RPIs etc. we are good enough that it doesn't matter how good our conference brethren are. We are going to be a 1 or 2 seed assuming we play up to our expectations. Bubble teams worry about how the rest of their conference performs. .
Yeah, what Whitey said.:)

THIS post should be pinned at the top. Does Alabama cheer for LSU cuz it helps them?

To be fair, new Mexico was a 4 point fave last night. But that might be a pretty clear indictment on the state if Uconn that they were 4 point dogs to something called New Mexico

THIS post should be pinned at the top. Does Alabama cheer for LSU cuz it helps them?

I think we as fans got into the habit of looking at RPIS etc during the bubble years of 07-08. I was as guilty as anyone. Now, it couldn't matter less. We are a top 5 program right now.

Hmm .. that ridiculous thread on the bone-yard regarding sour grapes concerning our continued ability to attract top talent (which has since been removed) was so over the top it was hard to take seriously but it seems to have really torqued a few members here. I for one always had tremendous respect for their program and am saddened that this may be the beginning of the demise of a once great program.

New Mexico is a pretty good team and should make the NCAA's.

I follow the RPI closely but it really doesnt matter anymore like Cuseman said. For the teams that play in weaker conferences it matters more but for us it really is a moot point whether we have a 4 rpi or a 24 rpi.

Also in the larger scheme there is the advantage of SU being the elite team in the Northeast. Again, for another year, throughout the whole season. From Boston, through Conn, NYC, down through Philly - the clear best program in the NorthEast is SU.

It is good to see end of the buzz UConn was trying to create. This should put them back into the second tier where they belong. The demise of UConn does have long term advantages for SU, just as the demise of St Johns increased SUs presence.

As you mention, the people concerned with this seasons possible RPI hit seem to have the bubble fear hangover from years ago. With a little confidence these people should be happy with the larger picture of the continued SU dominance of the NorthEast.

NMU is no slouch. Not a terrible loss.

Definitely remember calling out Napier a few years ago as a future stud... hate his attitude, but the kid has highlight-reel level talent. Ridiculous box score, (23 pts on 9-16 [4-7], 4 assts, 3 stls, 3 RBs, 0 turnovers)he carried UConn with a near flawless game and they still lost. Smells like trouble.

Let's not forget before a couple of surprise wins, this was suposed to be a down year for UConn. Still want to see the coach succeed. They gave him such a raw deal.

NMU is no slouch. Not a terrible loss.

Definitely remember calling out Napier a few years ago as a future stud... hate his attitude, but the kid has highlight-reel level talent. Ridiculous box score, (23 pts on 9-16 [4-7], 4 assts, 3 stls, 3 RBs, 0 turnovers)he carried UConn with a near flawless game and they still lost. Smells like trouble.

LOL, they go by UNM. This is like "University of Syracuse".

They are not a bad club, Tony Snell is a really nice player and their point guard who I refer to as "Sunshine" because I can't remember his name is a hustle guy with some sneaky athleticism. Their problem is Alford. The guy, surprisingly, teaches no court discipline whatsoever. JB would stroke out on the sideline in 6 minutes of game action if his team played like they do most of the time. Its like having 5 Paul Harrises (the Pittsburgh version not the Notre Dame version) on the court at all times.

By the way, I couldn't help but notice that jackass was wearing a ring the size a of a softball on the sidelines last night. I wonder where he got that... :bang:

I still want their rings. God why did they have to win? We have been stronger, but haven't won like they have. This could be a year to really catch/catapult them with uconn down and going in a ??? direction.

Yeah, UConn losing this game in the long run is essentially meaningless to our conference RPI.

I still want their rings. God why did they have to win? We have been stronger, but haven't won like they have. This could be a year to really catch/catapult them with uconn down and going in a ??? direction.

That 2011 title still pisses me off. They beat the weakest #2 seed in the sweet 16, then beat a 5, 4, and 8 seed to win the title, geez. That was not a great team, they happened to get hot at the right time then got a dream draw. Similar to duke in 2010. Would be nice if we could catch a couple breaks like that in the tourny, but we never do.

Well if you want to feel even worse, I wasn't talking about UConn people wearing a big ring. I was talking about Alford. Which is much, much, much worse.

Looking forward to their point/counter-point student newspaper article on why this means they could win it all.

That 2011 title still pisses me off. They beat the weakest #2 seed in the sweet 16, then beat a 5, 4, and 8 seed to win the title, geez. That was not a great team, they happened to get hot at the right time then got a dream draw. Similar to duke in 2010. Would be nice if we could catch a couple breaks like that in the tourny, but we never do.
The only real test they had was Arizona and Derrick Williams was in foul trouble about 2 minutes in so he had to sit for most of the 1st half.

But didn't they beat UK in the Final Four? Weren't they like a 2 seed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom