Uconn loses | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Uconn loses

The only real test they had was Arizona and Derrick Williams was in foul trouble about 2 minutes in so he had to sit for most of the 1st half.

But didn't they beat UK in the Final Four? Weren't they like a 2 seed?

they did but kentucky was only a 4 seed that year. arizona beat 1 seed duke, and kentucky beat 1 seed ohio st and 2 seed north carolina, so uconn avoided any 1 or 2 seeds from the elite 8 on, huge break for them. and san diego st was an extremely weak 2 seed that they played in sweet 16 (they needed double ot to beat 7 seed temple in 2nd round). plus playing an 8 seed in the championship game which may never happen again. we never get breaks like that. i remember when the bracket came out last year i said the only team im afraid of in the east without fab melo is ohio st. but of course they make it to elite 8 and beat us.

Note about Connecticut and New Mexico.
Perhaps the greatest High School talent to ever come out of Connecticut was a player that didn't opt to go to Uconn. (Super) John Williamson played for Wibur Cross High School in New Haven Ct. Williamson's High School career was legendary and he graduated in 1970. He also led the nation in scoring while in High School. Wilbur Cross played St. Anthony's in DC when it was coached by John Thompson and they whooped Thompson and St. Anthony's and Thompson walked off the floor with his team with 2 minutes left in the game ostensibly to protest poor officiating but it was rumored it was to keep Williamson from scoring 40 on him.

Uconn's program at the time was coached by George Wigdon... I know, who the heck is he right?... Williamson headed out to New Mexico State rather than stay at home in Ct. and play for a pedestrian team which played in the Yankee Conference. I remember incredible players that come out of the City schools in Ct. , none of which stayed in Ct. to play ball. Kervin Lewis, Soup Campbell, even John Pinone opted out of Ct to play for Villanova.

Correct. Elite programs don't worry about conference RPIs etc. we are good enough that it doesn't matter how good our conference brethren are. We are going to be a 1 or 2 seed assuming we play up to our expectations. Bubble teams worry about how the rest of their conference performs. .

Exactly. 100% dead on right. Tired of the "I always pull for our conference brethren unless we are playing for them." Screw that.

44cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom