UConn practice report | Syracusefan.com

UConn practice report

People laugh at those who want practice open, but its not about the few fans that go. It's more about the total lack of media coverage which is suppose to be used to interest and excitement from the whole fanbase.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I'm starting to see that I was wrong about practice being closed not being a big issue. We have had minimal new information and everyone on the board is warring about things that should be little, but given the current run of blunders in the program they've become pretty big issues. Hopefully now that basketball is done the AD and the marketing office can start focusing on what they should have been all along, football. The basketball team can sell itself with ease, while the football program couldn't sell a paper bag at this point. It really is time the university invests in the football program, starting with some actual customer service.

I'm starting to see that I was wrong about practice being closed not being a big issue. We have had minimal new information and everyone on the board is warring about things that should be little, but given the current run of blunders in the program they've become pretty big issues. Hopefully now that basketball is done the AD and the marketing office can start focusing on what they should have been all along, football. The basketball team can sell itself with ease, while the football program couldn't sell a paper bag at this point. It really is time the university invests in the football program, starting with some actual customer service.

I've read this a few times now - the idea that the marketing prowess at SU is focused on men's bball. Where is there evidence of that? They don't do anything differently for JB. The difference is the state of that program vs. football. Don't assume the Gross and his marketing people get a pass just because basketball season was happening.

Are you sure of that?
Compared to the basketball team, yes. I'm not one to care about menial things I just want to see the program do well, but what does the football team really have to sell at this point? 44 only gets you so far, our national championship was over fifty years ago, our past decade has been rock bottom, and the customer service sucks. I understand now why many people are upset with the string of recent events.

Compared to the basketball team, yes. I'm not one to care about menial things I just want to see the program do well, but what does the football team really have to sell at this point? 44 only gets you so far, our national championship was over fifty years ago, our past decade has been rock bottom, and the customer service sucks. I understand now why many people are upset with the string of recent events.
I think you missed the intended humor there

Don't assume the Gross and his marketing people get a pass just because basketball season was happening.
There's the evidence right there. What has marketing and the AD's office done for football since the end of the season? Nothing, except cancel nearly every event that was scheduled; there wasn't even a press conference announcing the renovations or introducing the new coaches/recruits...would anything like this happen with the basketball program? No. Even if Marrone is the one that doesn't want to do this stuff there is no excuse. His job is to coach football, while the AD's office and marketing handle public relations. Why could they not have someone be a spokesman on the subject matter, while Marrone focuses on football.

I had a feeling it was humor I should have just listened to the gut :bang:
paperbagorangmen-300x231.jpg

sfb_080917_lml_bagheadfans.jpg

From a bygone era

Even if Marrone is the one that doesn't want to do this stuff there is no excuse. His job is to coach football, while the AD's office and marketing handle public relations. Why could they not have someone be a spokesman on the subject matter, while Marrone focuses on football.

I agree. No reason they can't fake (or make it really happen) Floyd or even Gedney be some type of "spokesperson" for what's going on inside the programs/practices. Though while that something is better than nothing, authenticity is key in today's marketing world. Fans do want to hear from the people making decisions. I get that Marrone was hired to win games, but the reality of the college football business, is that the extra stuff DOES matter, too.

People laugh at those who want practice open, but its not about the few fans that go. It's more about the total lack of media coverage which is suppose to be used to interest and excitement from the whole fanbase.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Nobody is laughing at the desire for practices to be open.

Rather, I at least am deferring to the HC, who apparently feels that it is in the best interests of the program at this point to keep practices closed.

I am looking forward to the spring game. There will be a lot of opportunity in the next few weeks for the press to talk about the program.

Heck, the best source of information, Dave Rahme, is not even assigned to the team right now - he is working is lacrosse beat.

For the past three years spring practice has been open. It has made little difference in Dome attendance.

Winning consistently will make the difference.

Two things.

First, the report on UConn spring practice is hardly the kind of promo that inspires casual fans. It is moderately informative and is pretty much the same stuff we read in CNY and probably every other location where spring football is in session. It is certainly nothing to get excited about.

Second, I love Sun Devil Stadium. It does sit between two buttes and is a truly great college football venue during fall evenings.

Exactly.

I feel like we are all very bothered by the closing of spring practice partially because the end of last season was so unfullfilling. With players like Broyld and Morris coming in this year, I feel like we were really looking forward to turning over a new leaf, and the media blackout feels like pulling teeth

The Honeymoon with HCDM is over...and he knows it. This is his "stuff or get off the pot" season.

If he can lead this team to a bowl game this season, then no hard feelings on the closed practices. But if he lays another 5-7 stinker (or worse)... Well my friend, all bets are off.

The Honeymoon with HCDM is over...and he knows it. This is his "stuff or get off the pot" season.

If he can lead this team to a bowl game this season, then no hard feelings on the closed practices. But if he lays another 5-7 stinker (or worse)... Well my friend, all bets are off.

No it isn't... He will get two more years minimum, jesus we gave the worst coach in college football history 4 years... Yes, 4 years.

say it all you want ib-it aint true

this is already going to be a bad attendance season based on 5 games and a lack of fan support-gross cant afford to lose the whole fan base by not doing anything when another guy he picked is flushing the program down the toilet-

if marrone hasnt started to show some positive change this year it could be his last-

to me what it comes down to -can he find a offense-if we only win 5 but we score points on teams he gets another year-if we still see the lame "dead horse" offense again this year-its time to cut our loss's and move on

I'm not saying he'd get fired after this season or next season for that matter. What I am saying is that if the team lays a stinker in 2012 (which is entirely possible), the clock officially starts ticking.

Let the coach do whatever he needs to do to get this team to play decent ball. If they come out and play like a pack of idiots again then rip away.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

say it all you want ib-it aint true

this is already going to be a bad attendance season based on 5 games and a lack of fan support-gross cant afford to lose the whole fan base by not doing anything when another guy he picked is flushing the program down the toilet-

if marrone hasnt started to show some positive change this year it could be his last-

to me what it comes down to -can he find a offense-if we only win 5 but we score points on teams he gets another year-if we still see the lame "dead horse" offense again this year-its time to cut our loss's and move on

I take it you're a "glass half-empty" kind of guy.