Uconn Trolls SU and Karma bites them back | Syracusefan.com

Uconn Trolls SU and Karma bites them back

KellySyracuse

Living Legend
"Tyler Wilkinson and Peter Bard ...couldn't resist the opportunity to promote UConn while simultaneously trolling Syracuse fans" so they purchased the domain Syracuse.nyc which "hails the Huskies as "New York's College Team" while flashing photos of UConn's championship team and Kemba Walker,"

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...k-blog-domain-name-how-to-get-nyc-domain-name

What goes around comes around:
"What a world we live in that Duke and the defending national champs need to rely on Groupon to fill a 19,000-seat arena." Groupon "was offering upper-level seats for less than half their $80 pricetag, allowing each fan to buy up to eight tickets. According to Groupon, roughly 80 people purchased tickets for Thursday's game."

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...ets-izod-center-new-york?eadid=SOC/Twi/SNMain

The only thing I have ever seen some Cuse fans concede on the topic of UConn is that 4>>>1. I think the Huskies, when at their best, can compete with us for NYC fans when we are at our best, but when we are both average or slightly above average, we win out in that category. I, personally, don't think it is even close. But that is simply my opinion.

Cheers,
Neil

Nobody in the 5 boroughs gives a blank about UConn. They fill MSG because people from CT take the train in. The only TV viewership they get is from the sliver of the "NY" tv market in Fairfield County.

Nobody in the 5 boroughs gives a blank about UConn. They fill MSG because people from CT take the train in.

It's no surprise they are having an issue filling the IZOD Center. Not a great day and location for this event. It's 8 pm on a Thursday night. If you live in CT, you need to leave right after work to barely get there and then you won't get home until after midnight. I know it's Duke but that's a long day. There are not that many die hard Yukon fans that would make that effort. Put it on a Saturday and I think that place sells out no problem.

why are they playing it there and not at Storrs? Is this like the MetLife deal?

I have seen exactly 1 person wearing anything related to UCONN in New York City.

Madbiker said:
Nobody in the 5 boroughs gives a blank about UConn. They fill MSG because people from CT take the train in. The only TV viewership they get is from the sliver of the "NY" tv market in Fairfield County.

Our fans fill MSG up by largely taking the subway. Theirs takes metro north. I was always shocked by the dearth of UConn fans at the bars around MSG during the BET. The whole row of bars by Blarney and Stout are always packed with SU fans. In 2012 when we played them at noon we packed those bars and 9am on a Thursday. I can't remember a uconn fan.

If nothing else it was stupid money spent by Tyler Wilkinson and Peter Bard. They would have been better off buying tickets to this game and giving them away so at least there would be some fans there. I never understood the UConn shrinking beanbag over SU being New York's college team anyway. We actually do reside in the state of NY for crissakes

If nothing else it was stupid money spent by Tyler Wilkinson and Peter Bard. They would have been better off buying tickets to this game and giving them away so at least there would be some fans there. I never understood the UConn shrinking beanbag over SU being New York's college team anyway. We actually do reside in the state of NY for crissakes
Yeah, you would think UConn would be more focused on being New England's college team first. When I was growing up in Vermont, not a single person gave a rat's arse about UConn.

Some of the fans on here at times remind me of Floyd Mayweather, but I'm too sober to make a thread just now.

It's no surprise they are having an issue filling the IZOD Center. Not a great day and location for this event. It's 8 pm on a Thursday night. If you live in CT, you need to leave right after work to barely get there and then you won't get home until after midnight. I know it's Duke but that's a long day. There are not that many die hard Yukon fans that would make that effort. Put it on a Saturday and I think that place sells out no problem.
IZOD Center is a bizarre location for a UConn game. I live in Fairfield County ... and I hate driving to NJ so much that I did not go to the ND football game there this fall. Most UConn fans live in the Hartford region ... which is more than an hour further from NJ. And there is zero public transportation from CT to NJ... unless you take AMTRAK into Newark. (And once you're in Newark, what do you do then?). Whatever genius at UConn scheduled that game ... has little grasp of reality. But I guess he is traveling with the team, so he doesn't have to worry about getting himself there -- and back home again.

Yeah, you would think UConn would be more focused on being New England's college team first. When I was growing up in Vermont, not a single person gave a rat's arse about UConn.
I remember them as our equal trying to climb the recognition ladder , pre-Corny Thompson. They played the likes of Holy Cross, BC (back then) the basic NE fare. But I remember when the big east formed, I thought "Why them?" They were ok but not a power by any means. I feared Providence more than SH, BC or UConn.

I remember them as our equal trying to climb the recognition ladder , pre-Corny Thompson. They played the likes of Holy Cross, BC (back then) the basic NE fare. But I remember when the big east formed, I thought "Why them?" They were ok but not a power by any means. I feared Providence more than SH, BC or UConn.
Relationships...the UConn AD was friends with Dave Gavitt.

Some of the fans on here at times remind me of Floyd Mayweather, but I'm too sober to make a thread just now.
understood but why does UConn care that SU claims the NY's College team banner? UConn plays in Connecticut and occasionally in NJ. MSG was home to the tournaments and St. John's. UConn fans would better serve themselves to not have such a small coinpurse.

And he was selling long stem roses at an intersection!

I wonder if he was also listening to Leonard Cohen's song, "Everybody Knows?" while doing so? I find the lyrics brilliant and fitting for this and many other relationships. The amateur video wasn't half bad either, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Not P5, doesn't matter.

Keep asking for a game that will never happen.

understood but why does UConn care that SU claims the NY's College team banner? UConn plays in Connecticut and occasionally in NJ. MSG was home to the tournaments and St. John's. UConn fans would better serve themselves to not have such a small coinpurse.

Well the original claim is a thinly(if at all?) veiled insult toward St John's and every other team in NY, and sometimes it's fun to mock those who are mocking others. It's clever and takes a bit of guts, so on that alone I tip my hat to it. I'm obviously not looking for likes on these posts, and even though I for a long time had an avatar of Otto beating down their mascot, I sometimes enjoy defending someone who is getting piled on. I had a large hospital bill once for doing it literally for some stranger who was a victim of what the news later reported was a gang initiation activity called "wilding". It was 2am and folks were coming out of bars, and the last thing I clearly recall for certain was a yuppie couple coming toward me telling me to "run!!!!" as their arms flailed somewhat in the air. I stood my ground and shook my head and tried to live by the Golden Rule. Sure this is a bit different, but at least I don't have to wake up the next day with an IV in my arm and a $3000 bill(the ambulance itself was $900+ and I recall whatever they charged for the hospital meal, even if i had been conscious to eat it, may have been the biggest ripoff of all, proportionately).

I'm not going to look down on folks for mocking UConn, but I hope they can understand where I'm coming from. I enjoyed the rivalry, and can see the pettiness coming from both directions. Even Otto changed his(?) tune.

uconn-syracuse.jpg

Last edited:
Well the original claim is a thinly(if at all?) veiled insult toward St John's and every other team in NY, and sometimes it's fun to mock those who are mocking others. It's clever and takes a bit of guts, so on that alone I tip my hat to it. I'm obviously not looking for likes on these posts, and even though I for a long time had an avatar of Otto beating down their mascot, I sometimes enjoy defending someone who is getting piled on. I had a large hospital bill once for doing it literally for some stranger who was a victim of what the news later reported was a gang initiation activity called "wilding". It was 2am and folks were coming out of bars, and the last thing I clearly recall for certain was a yuppie couple coming toward me telling me to "run!!!!" as their arms flailed somewhat in the air. I stood my ground and shook my head and tried to live by the Golden Rule. Sure this is a bit different, but at least I don't have to wake up the next day with an IV in my arm and a $3000 bill(the ambulance itself was $900+ and I recall whatever they charged for the hospital meal, even if i had been conscious to eat it, may have been the biggest ripoff of all, proportionately).

I'm not going to look down on folks for mocking UConn, but I hope they can understand where I'm coming from. I enjoyed the rivalry, and can see the pettiness coming from both directions.

uconn-syracuse.jpg
yeah, that analogy had nothing to do with the topic. Go read the UConn board and see what they have to say about us. They give more than they get. And they got it up the butt when they didn't get a chair when the music stopped. I don't feel a bit bad for them.

yeah, that analogy had nothing to do with the topic. Go read the UConn board and see what they have to say about us. They give more than they get. And they got it up the butt when they didn't get a chair when the music stopped. I don't feel a bit bad for them.

Dasher, I like your postings. I can tell you speak your mind, and I respect the living heck out of that even at times when we disagree. I just wish I could see some of the fans on each side go head to head rather than giving all their pals a long train of the reacharound. It just gets boring after awhile, you know? I admire their chutzpah and want to pretend for a moment to be an unbiased observer and give them their due. I remember musical chairs in the first grade, and I was so upset when I was eliminated that my teacher told me she'd vote for me if I ever ran for President. I wasn't wearing a title belt at the time though, so I needed more consolation than they do.

Dasher, I like your postings. I can tell you speak your mind, and I respect the living heck out of that even at times when we disagree. I just wish I could see some of the folks on each side go head to head rather than giving all their pals a long train of the reacharound. It just gets boring after awhile, you know? I admire their chutzpah and want to pretend for a moment to be an unbiased observer and give them their due. I remember musical chairs in the first grade, and I was so upset when I was eliminated that my teacher told me she's vote for me if I ever ran for President. I wasn't wearing a title belt at the time though, so I needed more consolation than they do.
hey, one vote for prez in your back pocket. That's a start. And I really enjoy your posts as well. The thing that bothers me most is that we have UConn fans come here and pretend to be nice and go back to their board and speak of us with such vile words. Anyway, maybe it's just me.

Preach! Basically nobody from NYC (for the most part) goes to UCONN. It's a state school filled with people from all over that old time New England territory. They take their 1-2 (sometimes more) hour long ride into Grand Central (either Metronorth or Amtrak!) when they play at MSG and then go back to New England. In no way shape or form is Uconn NYC's team. They've won 4 ships and I can't remember anyone rocking a UCONN Jersey in NYC that wasn't coming off at Grand Central to see them when they are playing at the Garden. Complete non-entity for NYC -- ask the ACC and Big10.

hey, one vote for prez in your back pocket. That's a start. And I really enjoy your posts as well. The thing that bothers me most is that we have UConn fans come here and pretend to be nice and go back to their board and speak of us with such vile words. Anyway, maybe it's just me.

It's not just you. Your feelings are valid(lol that sounds like the stuff I used to laugh at) and I admittedly have never been to the Boneyard(although I love the name!!) other than maybe 3 or 4 years ago when someone posted a link on here and there was mutual love coming from both sides. Does anyone else recall that?