UK is vulnerable. | Syracusefan.com

UK is vulnerable.

SWFLCUSE

All Conference
They are only up by one on Maryland with 9 to play and the terps are 2-15 behind the arc. I don't think Kentucky wins the SEC this season, let alone the NCAA championship.

Put simply: Their players are not as good as those they had last year.

It's also game one. We lost to Memphis first game the year we won the championship. Anyone who doesn't think Kentucky is going to be in the running is kidding themselves, IMO.

I think Maryland came very prepared tonight.

Speaking of these "top teams" I would love to see our front court against the pencil necks of IU.

It's also game one. We lost to Memphis first game the year we won the championship. Anyone who doesn't think Kentucky is going to be in the running is kidding themselves, IMO.

I think Maryland came very prepared tonight.
They won't be.

i love these threads, cuz it tells me who knows nothing about college basketball.

I know one thing, Dicky has FALLEN in love with paypalcal and UK...Praise all throughout the game, makes me sick!!!!

I'd be very worried that they could beat a top 60 team in their 1st game out.

It's going to take them 15 games or so before they even know left from right, and 25 games or so before they start to gel. Of course they'll lose a few games along the way, but reading too much into it would be unwise.

I'd be very worried that they could beat a top 60 team in their 1st game out.

It's going to take them 15 games or so before they even know left from right, and 25 games or so before they start to gel. Of course they'll lose a few games along the way, but reading too much into it would be unwise.
I just don't see it THIS year, sorry coach.

Uh, this is their first game of the season against a quality team, geniuses.

Don't like this thread, there are ZERO super teams this year in college basketball. Kentucky last year or North Carolina from a couple years ago were athletically and more talented than all other teams. This year is completely wide open and I was impressed with UK opening season away from home against solid middle of the road ACC team and beating them. I don't think any team in college basketball will be unbeatable on any given night. Consider me unimpressed with Indiana and Louisville. If those are the two top teams in college basketball the tournament in March will be COMPLETELY wide open.

i love these threads, cuz it tells me who knows nothing about college basketball.

Kentucky will improve throughout the year and if they get the right draw and play well they could have a shot at the final 4 but this is really going to be a sweet 16 team in my opinion. If you think Goodwin is going to be really good and Poythress is going to be a good forward then I will say that's possible. I think they are solid players but outside of Noel I don't think you are going to be amazed by them come February and March. Also please stop with the Maryland is a solid team crap. They looked awful. They were missing option perimeter shots by like 5 miles and they were not moving the ball well in their offense. All their offense was coming off of transition crap they should have never gotten if Kentucky weren't unbalanced on offense. I can't wait to play them next year and beat them by 20 at their place.

Kentucky will improve throughout the year and if they get the right draw and play well they could have a shot at the final 4 but this is really going to be a sweet 16 team in my opinion. If you think Goodwin is going to be really good and Poythress is going to be a good forward then I will say that's possible. I think they are solid players but outside of Noel I don't think you are going to be amazed by them come February and March. Also please stop with the Maryland is a solid team crap. They looked awful. They were missing option perimeter shots by like 5 miles and they were not moving the ball well in their offense. All their offense was coming off of transition crap they should have never gotten if Kentucky weren't unbalanced on offense. I can't wait to play them next year and beat them by 20 at their place.

Nobody said they were great. Probably 5th to 7th in the ACC. FWIW, SI projects them as a 12 seed.

ok, it is early and Kentucky is young with room to grow, no doubt. But the quality of team they can be, is way lower than last years bunch. They can be a contender, but it has to be a down year for basketball.

That was an interesting game. Maryland couldn't have played any worse (shot something like 0-16 from 3 before making a couple, and only shot 30% from the field) but they almost came away with the win anyway.

I'm not willing to make any broad sweeping generalizations about what Kentucky will look like come March. They clearly have talent, and will be a lot better then than now, its impossible to rule out a title this early in the season. But remember this, Kentucky has never won anything with all freshmen. It took an NBA work stoppage that kept Jones and Lamb in college for Kentucky to build a championship level team.

That said, I thought Goodwin and Cauley-Stein looked better than I was expecting and Noel and Poythress looked worse.

I'm not shocked at all the Noel came out and had a bad day offensively, but I am shocked that Len dominated him on the defensive end of the court. That is not a good sign for Kentucky. Noel was suppose to be a finished product defensively.

That was an interesting game. Maryland couldn't have played any worse (shot something like 0-16 from 3 before making a couple, and only shot 30% from the field) but they almost came away with the win anyway.

I'm not willing to make any broad sweeping generalizations about what Kentucky will look like come March. They clearly have talent, and will be a lot better then than now, its impossible to rule out a title this early in the season. But remember this, Kentucky has never won anything with all freshmen. It took an NBA work stoppage that kept Jones and Lamb in college for Kentucky to build a championship level team.

That said, I thought Goodwin and Cauley-Stein looked better than I was expecting and Noel and Poythress looked worse.

I'm not shocked at all the Noel came out and had a bad day offensively, but I am shocked that Len dominated him on the defensive end of the court. That is not a good sign for Kentucky. Noel was suppose to be a finished product defensively.

Agree with you completely. UK will obviously be much better come March after everyone finds their roles and such but in no way should they be compared to what they did last year. The only similarity is that they have a great freshman class, but this year's team has basically 0 returnees to rely on (I guess one w/ Wiltjer). The mix of returning players Jones, Lamb, and Miller were huge for the team and depth last year that they will sorely miss that this year. They will also struggle mightily with outside shooting which hasn't been mentioned. The talent on the team is obviously great which always gives them a chance and they could get a good draw in tourney and make some noise, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lost close to 10 games this year.

Let's remember that last year's Kentucky team was great. They annihilated a (not so great) SEC. I think its likely that no team in the country this year will be as good as the UK team from last year. I didn't get to see the game last night,(was watching the Knicks go 4-0!) so I don't want to comment too much, but considering Calipari's coaching history, I'll take UK to win the SEC regular season over any other team in the league.

The mix of returning players Jones, Lamb, and Miller were huge for the team and depth last year that they will sorely miss that this year.

Yes. I think I said this before; maybe not, but I could see this team being like the 2011 team. They went 10-6 in the SEC (lost a ton of close games), lost 9 games overall, but made a good run in the tournament and were in the final four. I'm not predicting them to make the final four, just saying that while I don't see them being as dominant as last year I think they will be the best team in their conference and one of the 10-12 best in the country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom