ultimately i dont think this team scores well enough | Syracusefan.com

ultimately i dont think this team scores well enough

orangehomer

All American
to really make a deep run. we play defense, but these games are too close and you can't stay alive in the tournament that way, eventually a crap team makes a few threes and you lose. 50 points against BC in regulation is an offensive failure.

Offensive has been horrid LATELY. But to think we don't have the weapons to score is silly. If a team wants to run we can run with them; look at Cal, Baylor, Duke, Nova, etc.

I think the past 3 weeks has clouded the perception of our offensive ability. very ACC team has tried to slow the game vs. us (and it's worked); Duke tried to push it and we scored 90.

If anything, this team can do what last year's team couldn't offensively; win rock fights and win transition battles.

We need to run more. Like we did to start the second half. We have to stop being content to let the other team dictate tempo.

we have talent, maybe its coaching then. I think we need to play faster. ennis is awesome but he plays slow. I want him to speed up.

Offensive has been horrid LATELY. But to think we don't have the weapons to score is silly. If a team wants to run we can run with them; look at Cal, Baylor, Duke, Nova, etc.

I think the past 3 weeks has clouded the perception of our offensive ability. very ACC team has tried to slow the game vs. us (and it's worked); Duke tried to push it and we scored 90.

If anything, this team can do what last year's team couldn't offensively; win rock fights and win transition battles.
That's the point, though. When a team slows it down and forces us to win a half court game, it's not going to be to our advantage a whole lot in the Tourney. A hot shooting team, like BC tonight, while slowing it down could happen in any round against us.

Tyler Ennis has hit a wall in my opinion . He has not created well since Duke and it seems to be getting worse. Worse yet he hesitates to take the 3 and is missing layups.
Yeah, I agree. He's really been playing poor basketball (comparatively, of course) for most of February. I don't think he's tired, but I think he may be regressing towards the mean a bit. He's had 2+ turnovers in 7 of his last 8 games, something that seemed unheard of earlier in the season. He's missed a ton of easier shots, too.

That's the point, though. When a team slows it down and forces us to win a half court game, it's not going to be to our advantage a whole lot in the Tourney. A hot shooting team, like BC tonight, while slowing it down could happen in any round against us.
While I agree with you, when a team did that to use last year, we were toast. This team can win those mid 50 games.

Not a whole lot of teams are built like BC, most teams in America would rather run. BC has shooters everywhere, they pass it, and penetrate fairly well. Obviously we'd rather see a team that thinks they can run on us; how many teams are gonna be patient enough to pound the ball and pass for 32 seconds against us in the tournament?

Yeah, I agree. He's really been playing poor basketball (comparatively, of course) for most of February. I don't think he's tired, but I think he may be regressing towards the mean a bit. He's had 2+ turnovers in 7 of his last 8 games, something that seemed unheard of earlier in the season. He's missed a ton of easier shots, too.

I think the grind of a long college season is catching up with him a bit, something he isn't accustomed to due to being a frosh. As JB has recently commented, he needs to get stronger, etc. And, possibly why he will return for his sophomore year.

While I agree with you, when a team did that to use last year, we were toast. This team can win those mid 50 games.

Not a whole lot of teams are built like BC, most teams in America would rather run. BC has shooters everywhere, they pass it, and penetrate fairly well. Obviously we'd rather see a team that thinks they can run on us; how many teams are gonna be patient enough to pound the ball and pass for 32 seconds against us in the tournament?

We've seen it for most of ACC play. That's the scouting report on this team.

We won those games in the Tourney last year. Hopefully, we can do the same this year.

Last years team was worse on offense and we still made the final four.

We scored 70+ once this month.

We scored 70+ once in January.

Our offense is not explosive.

CJ has shot 50%+ twice in 2014. He needs to get his mid-range game going again. That will solve some of our problems. Still, we need Ennis to try creating in the lane a bit more earlier in games. It seems like he tends to wait till we NEED a basket to go to the rim.

Feeding the post a bit more is helpful as well - it may open up some threes for Cooney and just keep the offense from continually falling into the rut of having CJ iso'd on one side.

Tyler has been basically flawless all year, no way he (or anyone) could keep up that pace. He has faltered a bit as of late, but he's still making amazing plays down the stretch, I wouldn't use the phrase "hitting a wall"...

Did last year's team score well enough to make a deep run? :noidea:

Probably not--but they made one. There's no question, we need to execute better offensively. But I wouldn't write this team off so quickly.

We've seen it for most of ACC play. That's the scouting report on this team.

We won those games in the Tourney last year. Hopefully, we can do the same this year.
Cal tried to run. Indiana tried to run. Marquette just wasn't that good.

We have seen it most of ACC play, and we've won. Granted, the teams we see in the tourney will be better than Miami, Wake, BC, Va Tech, etc. We're top 10 in points per possession in the country and all year have scored a basket when we needed it; except tonight.

Our offense isn't the best in the country, but I think it's good enough to win in March.

RF2044 said:
Did last year's team score well enough to make a deep run? :noidea: Probably not--but they made one. There's no question, we need to execute better offensively. But I wouldn't write this team off so quickly.

I don't think anyone is writing this team off. I could see this team going to the Final 4 or losing in the second round. This team is pretty fragile right now.

Did last year's team score well enough to make a deep run? :noidea:

Probably not--but they made one. There's no question, we need to execute better offensively. But I wouldn't write this team off so quickly.
well I would hope it is obvious that I am not writing this team off. but they need to play better, that's it.

to really make a deep run. we play defense, but these games are too close and you can't stay alive in the tournament that way, eventually a crap team makes a few threes and you lose. 50 points against BC in regulation is an offensive failure.

Wow, powerful and succinct. No BS. Good post. You may be assailled, but JB said the same thing with different words.

This team is a good offensive team, the best since Pomeroy has been tracking Offensive Efficiency. They may not be the best shooting team, but they take care of ball, get more offensive rebounds and get to the line more often.

I would tend to agree with OP but there are the Duke and Villanova games to demonstrate the team is capable of scoring.
A really confounding team right now.
Sigh.

It comes down to shooting. If you cant run you need to shoot well or do a good job finishing 2nd chance points. The past 2 games we have missed a ton of shots around the rim and have been playing too much 1 on 1.

I think ennis needs to let cooney handle the ball more. Let cooney get going and attack then probe with ennis. Like last year we struggle having one good shooter on the floor. That means we have to be better guarding the 3 ball on defense. Rocs zone d has been exposed the past 2 games which is putting pressure on the wings to be better. We are coming up too high at times and the guards are collapsing on every driver instead of staying home. Lot of correctable things. That and to make a deep run we need 30 pts a night from our backcourt. They are fully capable but CJ plays better as a hot and cold 2nd option with jerami the third.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom