UMass guard comes out | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UMass guard comes out

I respect all you guys who say that this isn't news, because I think you're doing it from a position of tolerance (i.e. who cares if you're gay, if you're a good person it doesn't make a difference).

And to that I say, that's great, but I don't think we're at the point yet where it isn't news. We're still a few years away. College basketball has been around for a century and there has been tens of thousands of players, and Derrick Gordon is the first.

If literally one closeted gay player (could be one of our own, it's a statistical certainty that closeted gay players have played for SU) comes out due to seeing Gordon come out, then this being a national story was a good thing.
Yep, agree. Hopefully, this makes it easier for others to come out, if they want to. And hopefully, declarations such as this do not continue to be news (or that declarations such as this are not even necessary - it's no one else's business).

Very courageous like Michael Sam, but both will deal with very different challenges. The thing about college basketball is you can hear the opposing fans taunts more than any other major sport, especially during free throws. I hope that the A-10 fans they face off against are better people than to bring his sexuality into the picture but I bet they aren't.

NashvilleOrange said:
Very courageous like Michael Sam, but both will deal with very different challenges. The thing about college basketball is you can hear the opposing fans taunts more than any other major sport, especially during free throws. I hope that the A-10 fans they face off against are better people than to bring his s e x uality into the picture but I bet they aren't.

Being at UMass he's at least in a liberal area where he will get support which is the complete opposite to what Britney Griner went through. If he gets any really awful taunts I imagine the media response would be to trash whatever student section did it. Those things say more about the person saying them than it says about the target.

I don't know if I should weigh in on this or not... but it really gets under my skin that the assumption is that anyone who disagrees with homo.sexual lifestyle is "intolerant" or "bigoted" or "hateful" of LGBT community is simply not true. Stop with that ridiculousness.

Being at UMass he's at least in a liberal area where he will get support which is the complete opposite to what Britney Griner went through. If he gets any really awful taunts I imagine the media response would be to trash whatever student section did it. Those things say more about the person saying them than it says about the target.
Good point. Amherst/Northampton will be a very supportive environment.

JDubbin said:
I don't know if I should weigh in on this or not... but it really gets under my skin that the assumption is that anyone who disagrees with homo.s e x ual lifestyle is "intolerant" or "bigoted" or "hateful" of LGBT community is simply not true. Stop with that ridiculousness.

How does one "disagree" with a gay lifestyle? Most of the gay people I know are high earners in law, finance, insurance and medicine. They go to work, pay taxes, get married, travel, go out for dinner and drinks occasionally. One of my close friends and his boyfriend/fiance even go to SU games with me or host game watch parties because he's a huge Syracuse fan. A partner at my firm and his husband adopted a beautiful girl and they seem to be painfully boring individuals. Like more boring and with less of a social life than my parents who are 74 and 67.

Other than the s e x, and I'm not sure why heterosexuals would spend any time thinking about how gays do that, I just don't see any difference between a "gay lifestyle" and a straight one.

"Tolerance" is a silly feel good word that liberals like to throw around. I think that "disagreeing" with a "gay lifestyle" falls much closer to outright bigotry than something as meaningless as "intolerant."

Last edited:
NashvilleOrange said:
Good point. Amherst/Northampton will be a very supportive environment.

Used to spend a couple weeks every summer at the tennis camp at Amherst college. We would go bowling in Northhampon. Holy cow were there a lot of lesbians there in the early 90s.

Western Mass is so pretty though. Just amazing scenery and beautiful little towns.

Used to spend a couple weeks every summer at the tennis camp at Amherst college. We would go bowling in Northhampon. Holy cow were there a lot of lesbians there in the early 90s.

Western Mass is so pretty though. Just amazing scenery and beautiful little towns.
I've been there pretty recently, they have a very nice downtown. High end stores that you don't see in many small towns and the community does a great job supporting local businesses as well. Who knows, maybe some of the lesbian community there will make an effort to support the UMass basketball program.

And you aren't as likely to get taunted in women's basketball