UMass to the MAC in 2025 | Syracusefan.com

UMass to the MAC in 2025

Have to think UConn will have to join a conference soon. Or at worst try for a ND deal in the ACC.

It's a happy day in the world of UpstateSM. The football program needed it and long term it should be good for sports in general IF the state of Massachusetts starts treating their flagship school's athletics seriously along with this move.

I will miss the A10 but that league is poorly run and has been trending in the wrong direction for awhile now. I will definitely be catching some weekday Maction in Amherst now.

If they can hang onto Frank Martin the basketball team could immediately compete for titles in the MAC and will be the type of program the league needs to be a 2-bid league on a semi-regular basis. But, again, the potential positive impact will only be realized if real money is put into UMass athletics. There is no excuse for our athletic department to be in the shape it has been in since I enrolled in 2015.

Overall, I am happy with this. It will be fun to play for something in football and the only thing lost in hoops is sentimental stuff with the A10. But that is modern college athletics.

- an actual UMass alum

Couscuse approves of Masstion er Maction. Doesn't the Mac need another team for 14.

Couscuse approves of Masstion er Maction. Doesn't the Mac need another team for 14.
It will be WKU I believe. That would be very good for the league's basketball.

This is soooooo much better than CUSA. I'd rather have kept status quo than went there. This is the best possible move given the circumstances. Revenue sports have sucked and UMass turned down MAC all sports in 2014 I believe it was.

Last edited:
IMG_9848.jpeg

This is soooooo much better than CUSA. I'd rather have kept status quo than went there. This is the best possible move given the circumstances. Revenue sports have sucked and UMass turned down MAC all sports in 2014 I believe it was.
They should add UConn for football and Vermont for all other sports.

I just read on the ESPN ticker that they asking to remain in the A10 for Men and Women’s lacrosse. Wonder what the A10 thinks?

Did the MAC outbid the B1G for UMass?
The MAC has been saving up for some time.

This is a bad move by the MAC. UMass is never going to make a hot basketball rivalry with any of those midwestern schools. And there is far more football talent in the Cincinnati TV market than in all New England.

Last year there were reports that the MAC was interested in Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee - who have been big rivals since before WW2. That would make more sense than adding Mass.

I just read on the ESPN ticker that they asking to remain in the A10 for Men and Women’s lacrosse. Wonder what the A10 thinks?
I'm very much not a lacrosse guy but I think that's the one sport where UMass has the leverage.

With the new playoff format, any G5 team that goes undefeated has a real good chance of getting in.

i would imagine they would beg them to stay

this is about football, no ill will.

that would also drop them to 5 teams like the ACC and thus, no automatic bid.

Mercer had a similar situation. They stayed in the Atlantic Sun for lacrosse but moved to the Southern Conference for everything else, including football, which the A-Sun didn't sponsor. When it's basically a football move and you have to move to play that, the former leagues probably don't like it, but understand it better than some of the Power 5 conference moves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom