Unbalanced ACC divisions | Syracusefan.com

Unbalanced ACC divisions

AAM62

All Conference
It's crazy how unbalanced the ACC divisions will be, especially with Louisville replacing Maryland. Looking at FSU, Clemson, Louisville and the Cuse (optimism due to the direction of the program) all jockeying for one spot in the championship game. The coastal teams really havent been impressive as of late but that can all change due to the prestige of some teams in that division. This is clearly assuming if all else stays constant regarding realignment but it begs the question of will the ACC consider shaking up the divisions. Just food for thought going forward

It's true, but I'd still rather play Miami and VTech every year. Those are the teams Id get most excited about playing

Fwiw, Louisville over Maryland is a total upgrade to the conference. I know I'm stating the obvious here.

It's crazy how unbalanced the ACC divisions will be, especially with Louisville replacing Maryland. Looking at FSU, Clemson, Louisville and the Cuse (optimism due to the direction of the program) all jockeying for one spot in the championship game. The coastal teams really havent been impressive as of late but that can all change due to the prestige of some teams in that division. This is clearly assuming if all else stays constant regarding realignment but it begs the question of will the ACC consider shaking up the divisions. Just food for thought going forward
I think it is inevitable that the divisions for the ACC will eventually become geographically based. It will make it a lot easier for fans to travel to away games and it will save a lot of money on travel costs. Strong showings by Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Boston College in the next couple of years would help greatly to make this happen (everyone wants to play attractive opponents and right now, Pitt, BC and Syracuse are not that attractive to schools like UVa and VT.

ND joining as a full time member would address a lot of these issues as well.

Could all change with realignment. Hope that doesn't happen but if the ACC adds two teams in the future...UConn and ND for all sports, I see north and south divisions.

I guess I'm just an oddball in that I like a zippered format. I know that GA Tech would prefer to switch divisions so that they could play nearby Clemson & FSU every year.

A straight North-South split just creates a divide. When you rarely play another conference member in the conference that you joined, are you really part of that conference?

Perhaps a 16-team conference with pods will work better. Rotating opposing pods every year would mean that you'd play other schools at least every 3 years.

I would flip Ga. Tech with Louisville when they join the conference. Putting Louisville in the Coastal and Ga.Tech in the Atlantic would give FSU and Clemson a local rival every yr and balance the divisions.

Could all change with realignment. Hope that doesn't happen but if the ACC adds two teams in the future...UConn and ND for all sports, I see north and south divisions.

I really don't think so. IF the ACC ever gets to 16, I think it will be 4 team pods. The Mid-Atlantic teams don't want to be slotted with jut the northerners, and everyone wants a trip south for recruiting purposes.

divisions are debatable but i hate pods . As long as the divisions are balanced im fine

I guess I'm just an oddball in that I like a zippered format. I know that GA Tech would prefer to switch divisions so that they could play nearby Clemson & FSU every year.

A straight North-South split just creates a divide. When you rarely play another conference member in the conference that you joined, are you really part of that conference?

Perhaps a 16-team conference with pods will work better. Rotating opposing pods every year would mean that you'd play other schools at least every 3 years.

a zipper setup works best with either no cross over rivals or 9 game schedule

i like these ones:

Atlantic:
Florida State -
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Boston College
Syracuse
NC State-
Wake Forest-

Coastal:
Miami-
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Pittsburgh
North Carolina-
Duke -

CrossOver Permanent Rivals :
Florida State-Miami
NC State-North Carolina
Wake Forest-Duke

Rotating Rivals(ie every team left from atlantic rotates thru the leftover coastal teams )
Clemson----------------Virginia
Georgia Tech------------Virginia Tech
Boston College ----------Louisville
Syracuse------------------Pittsburgh

Georgia Tech already plays Clemson (78 games played) on a yearly basis, and doesn't seem to care much about playing Florida State. They want to keep long running series with Duke (80 games played) and North Carolina (48 games played) going. If Georgia Tech wanted to be in the Atlantic Division then they would have been from the get go.

Rather have Boston College switch with Georgia Tech and keep Louisville in our division.

If I could pick the divisions, this would be it for football: (Assuming ND is in full at 16 teams.)

Syracuse
Boston College
Pittsburgh
Miami
Georgia Tech
Virginia
NC State
Notre Dame

Florida State
Clemson
North Carolina
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Duke
Louisville
TBD - Could be swapped out depending on the team.

Annual Cross-over games as follows:
Miami - Florida State
Georgia Tech - Clemson
Virginia - Virginia Tech
Pittsburgh - Louisville
NC State - North Carolina
Boston College - Wake Forest
Syracuse - Duke
Notre Dame - Vs. Whomever ND wants in.

Why the do you want Uconn to join? Schools like Clemson and GT have gone on record and said they will leave if they become members.

Seriously, if UConn ever joins the ACC they'll have company in schools like Memphis and Tulane since it means the B1G, SEC, or Big 12 have poached ACC schools.

No to Yukon, ND and whoever they want and can get...period!!

No to Yukon, ND and whoever they want and can get...period!!
actually should be Penn State, no question, yeah I know, but at some point this to will pass, despite how horrible it was.
What happened in the past should be dealt with severely and completely, and then the future players and coaches, who had nothing to do with it, should be allowed to move on. SO, ND and PENN STATE!!

actually should be Penn State, no question, yeah I know, but at some point this to will pass, despite how horrible it was.
What happened in the past should be dealt with severely and completely, and then the future players and coaches, who had nothing to do with it, should be allowed to move on. SO, ND and PENN STATE!!

??? It's not the Ped State deal that's keeping PSU from being in the ACC.

Why the do you want Uconn to join? Schools like Clemson and GT have gone on record and said they will leave if they become members.
When did they say that? Link?

??? It's not the Ped State deal that's keeping PSU from being in the ACC.
I will say that I am not an authority on this, but felt like some may not want them still because of this. If not, good.
Hoping they are still somewhat looking for a new start with their perceived treatment, and could see this as a good place for them to be.

When did they say that? Link?

Common knowledge that when they were deciding between Uconn and Lville some schools threatened to leave were they admitted. Obviously noone will go on record as saying that.

Common knowledge that when they were deciding between Uconn and Lville some schools threatened to leave were they admitted. Obviously noone will go on record as saying that.

Nobody heard that so it wasn't common knowledge. Internet lore.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Why is UConn getting such a bad rap within ACC circles? Good school academically, excellent hoops and women's sports.

I much rather have Penn State in the ACC but that will never happen unless the ACC TV Network can come within reach of the B1G's deal.