Unbalanced ACC divisions | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Unbalanced ACC divisions

Why is UConn getting such a bad rap within ACC circles? Good school academically, excellent hoops and women's sports.

I much rather have Penn State in the ACC but that will never happen unless the ACC TV Network can come within reach of the B1G's deal.
1. They don't open any new recruiting grounds.
2. They are sUeCONN
3. They sued the ACC in 2003 for no reason and acted like 16 yr girls at the Sweet 16 pouting at the ACC.
4. They have no football history
5. Florida State and Clemson want to compete for NC and the ACC as a conference needs more football schools, and UCONN while they are on par with Syracuse and Pitt recently aren't brand names in football.
6. They are sUeCONN.
No need to add another mouth to the conference, Louisville has a better football program, similar basketball prestige, and calm down Florida State and Clemson. If UConn ever joins the ACC then the conference is FUBAR and SU will be fighting for survival so and hope they never join the ACC.

div-Chris02M.PNG

I like Hokie Mark's Division the best for Cuse www.accfootballrx.blogspot.com

I'd love to get Ga Tech into our division but Clemson and FSU really want them.

div-Chris02M.PNG

I'd switch BC and Pitt. More regional rivals rivalries for all 4 schools involved. Doesn't really change the football balance, and helps even the bball balance a bit.

Why is UConn getting such a bad rap within ACC circles? Good school academically, excellent hoops and women's sports.

I much rather have Penn State in the ACC but that will never happen unless the ACC TV Network can come within reach of the B1G's deal.

It hasn't been said in this thread so I'll do...

and the horse they rode in on.

I hope they die in the Sun Beast!

I guess I'm just an oddball in that I like a zippered format. I know that GA Tech would prefer to switch divisions so that they could play nearby Clemson & FSU every year.

A straight North-South split just creates a divide. When you rarely play another conference member in the conference that you joined, are you really part of that conference?

Perhaps a 16-team conference with pods will work better. Rotating opposing pods every year would mean that you'd play other schools at least every 3 years.
No pods unless the NCAA okays conference semi-final games--which is very unlikely.

I'd switch BC and Pitt. More regional rivalries for all 4 schools involved. Doesn't really change the football balance, and helps even the bball balance a bit.
As of now, no basketball divisions have been proposed.

I am glad the ACC is considering what I suggested. Ga. Tech for Louisville balances the divisions and throws Florida State a bone. The ACC has to massage FSU and Clemson's egos with these small moves, Ga. Tech is FSU's 3rd biggest rival in the ACC behind Miami and Clemson and it gives their alums an easy roadtrip to Atlanta. Plus Ga. Tech in the Atlantic gives SU more access to Georgia HS players as SU would play Ga. Tech in Atlanta every 2 years.

No pods unless the NCAA okays conference semi-final games--which is very unlikely.
Semi finals are not required with pods. It's really not that hard.

There would be virtual divisions made up of the pods that are scheduled to compete that season. Every team in the virtual division has played every other team in the division. The winner of the virtual division goes to the Championship Game.

The same thing could be done with 20-team conferences. 4 pods of 5 yields a 9-game schedule. If the NCAA agrees with a 13-game schedule this would be possible. Yes, it's an un-balanced schedule and there would be no fixed crossover games (unless they went for 10 conference games).

1. They don't open any new recruiting grounds.
2. They are sUeCONN
3. They sued the ACC in 2003 for no reason and acted like 16 yr girls at the Sweet 16 pouting at the ACC.
4. They have no football history
5. Florida State and Clemson want to compete for NC and the ACC as a conference needs more football schools, and UCONN while they are on par with Syracuse and Pitt recently aren't brand names in football.
6. They are sUeCONN.
No need to add another mouth to the conference, Louisville has a better football program, similar basketball prestige, and calm down Florida State and Clemson. If UConn ever joins the ACC then the conference is FUBAR and SU will be fighting for survival so and hope they never join the ACC.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Marsh has copyrights to this statement. Just be sure to obtain his permission if you don't want to pay him for using his quote...and be sure to reference any of his numerous sources of the quote. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist, well, that and Marsh is cutting me in for 10% ...

I prefer being in the division we are in. Though I like Louisville and the good rivalry we have garnered with them in hoops and football, I could live with GATech. Clemson is "meh" to me but FSU is better than Miami and I think long term will be the better FL team to be in the same division with.

Take Nancy Reagan's advice re: UConn, "Just say no".

Semi finals are not required with pods. It's really not that hard.

There would be virtual divisions made up of the pods that are scheduled to compete that season. Every team in the virtual division has played every other team in the division. The winner of the virtual division goes to the Championship Game.

The same thing could be done with 20-team conferences. 4 pods of 5 yields a 9-game schedule. If the NCAA agrees with a 13-game schedule this would be possible. Yes, it's an un-balanced schedule and there would be no fixed crossover games (unless they went for 10 conference games).
Maybe. But, I don't see it happening.

The drivers of the realignment train have already destroyed many traditional rivalries. Having to change league or divisional rivals from year to year is another bad idea.

div-Chris02M.PNG

For entirely selfish reasons, I don't care for that arrangement. I'd rather keep what we have.

Bottom line, until/unless we get 10 conference games, there's no way to make everybody happy.

Having Miami play in the Dome once every twelve years is just silly.
Ditch the fixed crossover, where possible, and the current arrangement gets a bit better... though it wouldn't help with Miami if they're always paired with FSU.

Jurrie I agree...love to have GTech in our division. Bottomline: we aren't going to get exactly what we want. All this talk of going to 18-20-24 teams in conference is nothing more than a network sponsored team grab to build formal groupings for contract/marketing purposes. We'll soon have Team ESPN, Team ESPN2, Team FOX, Team BTN, and Team NBC/ND among the Big Boyz.

Jurrie I agree...love to have GTech in our division. Bottomline: we aren't going to get exactly what we want. All this talk of going to 18-20-24 teams in conference is nothing more than a network sponsored team grab to build formal groupings for contract/marketing purposes. We'll soon have Team ESPN, Team ESPN2, Team FOX, Team BTN, and Team NBC/ND among the Big Boyz.

Agree. GTech is a team I really want to play regularly. Give me trips to Atlanta please.

Why couldn't there be pods that operate within a rotating 'division'? Pod A plays Pod B one year, with Pod C vs Pod D, so you can take the top A/B team to play the top C/D team. The next year, Pod A plays C and Pod B plays Pod D, with the top A/C team playing the top B/D team for the championship. Etc, etc, etc. That wouldn't be ideal, I suppose, but at least you could work around the pod setup without having to worry about semifinal games...

Why couldn't there be pods that operate within a rotating 'division'? Pod A plays Pod B one year, with Pod C vs Pod D, so you can take the top A/B team to play the top C/D team. The next year, Pod A plays C and Pod B plays Pod D, with the top A/C team playing the top B/D team for the championship. Etc, etc, etc. That wouldn't be ideal, I suppose, but at least you could work around the pod setup without having to worry about semifinal games...
That's exactly what I mentioned here yesterday*. I believe it's a better way to go if the goal is to play everyone as often as possible.

An extra benefit is that there is no fixes stronger division. While a particular pod may have a couple of stronger teams, any long-term notion of "this division is tougher than the other" goes out the window.

* my post is here: http://syracusefan.com/index.php?threads/Unbalanced-ACC-divisions.43708/#post-522326