Unbelievable. Big East Hoops teams are blocking expansion efforts by FB schools... | Syracusefan.com

Unbelievable. Big East Hoops teams are blocking expansion efforts by FB schools...

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/extras/colleges_blog/2011/10/big_easts_fate.html

It's utterly amazing. Its like watching the keystone cops. So glad were not dealing with this hot mess.

And the national media wonders why Syracuse, a charter member of the Big East, left the minute it could?

I truly hope that we never play any of the basketball schools again. Let Georgetown, St. John's, Seton Hall and Nova find someone else to fill up their arenas. This article should be required reading for anyone who moans that Syracuse and Pitt destroyed the Big East.

In Providence College's mind(when I say Providence College I am putting the Commish here because all he cares about is PC) the other basketball only schools are worth enough on their own to get a TV contract and MSG will want them. They don't get they have benefited WAY MORE than they have given the conference. I love that Georgetown and Villanova want to exhaust all other options for being in a basketball only conference. Also, they believe Notre Dame would want to be in there conference its unbelievably arrogant for them to be even mocking UConn or any football school like they are when they haven't won a NCAA Tournament game since Syracuse has won a NC and UConn has won 2.

Wonder on what basis (if any) the writer is making his Notre Dame assumptions.

Truly unbelievable. It's like driving past a car crash on the road. I can't look away.

Oh Lord

And the national media wonders why Syracuse, a charter member of the Big East, left the minute it could?

I truly hope that we never play any of the basketball schools again. Let Georgetown, St. John's, Seton Hall and Nova find someone else to fill up their arenas. This article should be required reading for anyone who moans that Syracuse and Pitt destroyed the Big East.

Gross has said Su plays Gtown every year "in perpetuity"
He has mentioned Nova and St Johns as an annual thing.
(Home/NYC/Home rotation?)

Gross needs to hammer the Bball schools that want to play us in the future...if you want SU on future schedules...help SU leave before 2014.

the uconn line about being the 16th is a joke too.

its clearly written from leaks from uconn and hathaway.

new england is 1 state, and they arent going to the b1g.

id imagine pitt and SU agreeing to block uconn. rut is nothing to fear, never has been, never will be. storz is too close to home for bc.

storz.
left.
out.
to.
dry.

:eek:

Oh Lord

BigEast football RIP soon. Will Missouri really turn down the SEC? I just can't see it.

The only way you agree to a Boise State, UCF or an ECU if WVU, USue and Louisville commit LT to the the BE, which will never happen. If you are Georgetown, can you imagine the prospect of playing the former in the Garden after the latter have left?

Boise St is Football only ... I only wonder if Boise St wants to see a couple more teams added before they commit.

I can't imagine that MSG can be happy with the BigEast minus 'Cuse and Pitt for the Tourney. Without Syracuse, their attendance numbers will drop by quite a bit.

I can understand why the basketball schools are stomping their feet and petulantly demanding that nothing change from the way it is. They know that once Pitt and Syracuse leave their basketball league is badly weakened. And when UCONN, Louisville and WVU leave they are the Catholic A-10.

I can't imagine that MSG can be happy with the BigEast minus 'Cuse and Pitt for the Tourney. Without Syracuse, their attendance numbers will drop by quite a bit.

And yet there are fans of Seton Hall and Providence who are posting that Pitt and Syracuse should be banned from participation in the BET for the next two years. Yeah, that's using the ol' noggin.

This is why we need Mizzou to leave for the SEC in 2013. Then the B12 takes 2-3 BE teams and BE FB disbands. So we can go play FB in the ACC for 2012 but have to wait for BBall.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/extras/colleges_blog/2011/10/big_easts_fate.html

It's utterly amazing. Its like watching the keystone cops. So glad were not dealing with this hot mess.

Going on the assumption that everything in that article is accurate, what makes no sense is that the hoops schools will break away on their own if WVU and Louisville leave, because they will have had enough. Yet they won't let the league add anyone? Football league is dead if they don't add anyone. They'll have 6 teams.
If the Pac-12 is ok staying at 12, I bet the B1G will do the same, short of ND.

Speaking of ND, also wonder if they would either stick with the 7 hoops only schools for their conference, or if they take a Big 12 all but football deal. I bet both of those options will look like better options because it preserves football independence, which you would think is priority #1 thru #10. They won't be left out. B1G spot is always open, then getting to 14 they can pretty much grab anyone.

Spotlight still on Mizzou.

So glad we are out of this conference. It didn't take long for me to realize it was the best move.

Gross has said Su plays Gtown every year "in perpetuity"
He has mentioned Nova and St Johns as an annual thing.
(Home/NYC/Home rotation?)

Gross needs to hammer the Bball schools that want to play us in the future...if you want SU on future schedules...help SU leave before 2014.

^^This^^ And if they resist, TGD should tell them to off.

Going on the assumption that everything in that article is accurate, what makes no sense is that the hoops schools will break away on their own if WVU and Louisville leave, because they will have had enough. Yet they won't let the league add anyone? Football league is dead if they don't add anyone. They'll have 6 teams.
If the Pac-12 is ok staying at 12, I bet the B1G will do the same, short of ND.

Speaking of ND, also wonder if they would either stick with the 7 hoops only schools for their conference, or if they take a Big 12 all but football deal. I bet both of those options will look like better options because it preserves football independence, which you would think is priority #1 thru #10. They won't be left out. B1G spot is always open, then getting to 14 they can pretty much grab anyone.

Spotlight still on Mizzou.

Would ND give up NE BBall games and leave the other Catholic schools for the B12? I still think the ACC should offer ND all sports but FB. There is value added there and makes BBall scheduling easy. Then we the time comes for ND to join a conference they will have a strong tie to the ACC already.

UNC, Duke, NC St, Clemson, FSU
SU, MD, Wake, UVA, VT
ND, Pitt, GA Tech, BC, Miami

This almost looks like the b-ball onlies want to force the remaining football schools to leave so that they can collect the exit fees. What a mess. The football schools should have collectively split long ago to form their own conference which when the group included Miami and VaTech would have been very feasible. Now it would be very tough for the 6 remaining. They'd have to add Boise St, AF, Navy, UCF, Temple, etc. If the six gave assurances of sticking together maybe. But with each looking for an invite elsewhere who would believe them.

Truly unbelievable. It's like driving past a car crash on the road. I can't look away.

Oh Lord
It's actually like we were driving at the head of the pack on a highway, slammed on our breaks, cut across 3 lanes of traffic to get off an exit, then looked in our rear view mirror to see the giant pile-up/wreck happening behind us.

This almost looks like the b-ball onlies want to force the remaining football schools to leave so that they can collect the exit fees. What a mess. The football schools should have collectively split long ago to form their own conference which when the group included Miami and VaTech would have been very feasible. Now it would be very tough for the 6 remaining. They'd have to add Boise St, AF, Navy, UCF, Temple, etc. If the six gave assurances of sticking together maybe. But with each looking for an invite elsewhere who would believe them.

I thought that if enough schools left that the conference dissolved. I usually dont buy into conspiracies but this makes sense.

I don't know about all of the fees, and how a breakup would work, but I think if I am the basketball schools it is time to end this. I think all along everyone has thought the football schools would be the ones to end it. I think with the loss of Pitt and Syracuse, and huge instability on the football side, it is time for the basketball schools to breakoff.

They have 8 schools with ND (assuming ND stays, but even without they could be fine). They have like-minded (catholic/jesuit) schools in major markets (NY, Philly, DC, Chicago). They also have a core of big-time programs (GTown, Nova, St. Johns).

If I am them, I add Xavier and make it 9. They are jesuit, solid in hoops and add another major city. Then play a traditional, double round robin basketball schedule. They would have a solid conference in the traditional mold of a conference.

And really, what do they lose by breaking it off with the football schools? UConn is a regional rival, and obviously very good, but they are trying to get out themselves. Same with WVU and Lousivlle, but to a lesser degree as far as value (location, history and/or prestige). Other than that, Rutgers, South Florida or Cinci are not that big of a loss. Losing South Florida is a good thing from a basketball perspective.

The other really bad thing that could happen is they take on some of these football targets as full members. The basketball schools shouldn't want anything to do with UCF, ECU, SMU, Houston, Boise State. Even though Memphis is good, they don't fit the profile either. Nova already has Philly regarding Nova.

Plus, worst case, they take on these schools and then some combination of UConn, Louisville or West Virginia leaves, then they have nothing but garbage football schools. I think it is time for them to 'proactive'.

It's not just that - they could lose Louisville, Cinci and maybe even UConn. What's left then? A very mediocre conference; one that's surely not going to remain a major event. The Garden might not renew the contract with all the football teams gone.