Unbelievable. Big East Hoops teams are blocking expansion efforts by FB schools... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Unbelievable. Big East Hoops teams are blocking expansion efforts by FB schools...

Would ND give up NE BBall games and leave the other Catholic schools for the B12? I still think the ACC should offer ND all sports but FB. There is value added there and makes BBall scheduling easy. Then we the time comes for ND to join a conference they will have a strong tie to the ACC already.

UNC, Duke, NC St, Clemson, FSU
SU, MD, Wake, UVA, VT
ND, Pitt, GA Tech, BC, Miami

The problem is that that strategy has failed miserably in the BE.

Didn't know UConn's Hathaway is the Selection Committee chair this year.

Do the recusal rules apply?

I feel really bad for DePaul in all of this. They were brought into this league with promises that their team would be beat by the cream of the crop NCAA talent. Now they are going to get beat by the likes of UCF or Houston. I feel awful for them.

My concern is that this mess could somehow impact us and the ACC.
That's one reason I want the BE to expand now and establish some stability.
If it is true that the BB schools are blocking football expansion I am amazed.
I am beginning to come around to this line of thinking.

A Catholic league comprised of the BE basketball onlies would be merely an OK conference. A little better than the A-10. The 2 best hoops schools in the BE after we leave with Pitt will still be football schools --UConn and Louisville. WVU would still be in the top 6 of the league too. I doubt MSG would be on board with the BET without those football schools included.

It would be a solid league, but they are honestly overplaying their hand. Villanova, Georgetown, Marquette, St. John's Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul, and probably Xavier, Dayton, and St. Louis is a nice 10 team league that would get between 3 and 4 bids a year, but it wouldn't generate a big TV contract because none of those schools have large fanbases. Plus, the Villanova's of that conference wouldn't generate the crowds to play any games at Wachovia expect maybe Georgetown. Plus, MSG wouldn't want to lock into that conference it wouldn't fill the 20,000 seat Garden.

It would be a solid league, but they are honestly overplaying their hand. Villanova, Georgetown, Marquette, St. John's Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul, and probably Xavier,
Villanova wouldn't play any games at Wachovia expect maybe Georgetown anymore,

They should go to 10 adding Xavier, Butler, and one of Duquesne/Detroit/Dayton. That would be a pretty strong conference.

They should go to 10 adding Xavier, Butler, and one of Duquesne/Detroit/Dayton. That would be a pretty strong conference.

This would be a pretty strong conference, but also a big step down from the current Big East. The ACC would be better. So would the Big 12. For that matter, so would the B1G, SEC and PAC. The Big East Basketball Conference would be playing for honors in the 2nd Tier Division. The basketball schools know this and this is why they and their fans are acting with such petulance (i.e. they're pissed off and no longer mind telling everyone about it).

Would Georgetown, St.John's, Villanova be able to recruit at the level they are now without UConn, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Cincinnati, 0n their schedule anymore?

This would be a pretty strong conference, but also a big step down from the current Big East. The ACC would be better. So would the Big 12. For that matter, so would the B1G, SEC and PAC. The Big East Basketball Conference would be playing for honors in the 2nd Tier Division. The basketball schools know this and this is why they and their fans are acting with such petulance (i.e. they're pissed off and no longer mind telling everyone about it).
Read the PC, St. John's boards they believe breaking off is no big deal and their coaches Lavin and Cooley are going to be fine, and are totally clueless. The basketball schools should be doing everything to keep this confederation together even without a longterm commitment from the football schools it is better than being on their own. I am just so happy we are done with this Frankenstein, and to be honest I have no interest in playing any Big East teams except maybe Georgetown.