UNC academic probation -- still let off easy | Syracusefan.com

UNC academic probation -- still let off easy

stuckinbig11

All American
The accreditation agency for UNC is SACS-Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
I found an article that indicated in early June 2015, SACS announced it was placing UNC at Chapel Hill on a year's probation, " citing compliance violations in the areas of integrity, control of athletics, program content and several other essential academic matters." SACS has been long recognized as a strict accreditation organization. If a college is on probation with any accreditation agency, this is a serious matter.

The accreditation agency for UNC is SACS-Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
I found an article that indicated in early June 2015, SACS announced it was placing UNC at Chapel Hill on a year's probation, " citing compliance violations in the areas of integrity, control of athletics, program content and several other essential academic matters." SACS has been long recognized as a strict accreditation organization. If a college is on probation with any accreditation agency, this is a serious matter.
There are three options for the SACS - say it was OK for UNC-CHeat to do what they did; put them on probation (which they did do); or the death penalty, withdraw their accreditation which would make them lose all Federal money and pretty much shut them down completely. Those are the only options available.

So will every school in the ACC now set up sham courses since the NCAA has given its approval for that strategy? Have to compete with UNC.

So will every school in the ACC now set up sham courses since the NCAA has given its approval for that strategy? Have to compete with UNC.
Poll Dancing 101?

What many people forget are the politics, money and power involved with and behind huge state taxpayer funded universities. We saw a little bit of it when state politics wielded their power and influence for/against specific conference alliances. The discrepancy between offenses and punishments between the too big to fail universities vs small public colleges and then to private universities is and will probably always remain immense .

I'm sure most already have them - maybe not to the blatant extent that UNC operated but I'm sure there are classes at every school that athletes know they should take.

I took Laughter, Wit & Humor at SU.
The class was a joke.
Let's hear it for Col. Bleep, ladies and gentlemen. He'll be here all week! Don't forget to tip your waiters. :cool:

There are three options for the SACS - say it was OK for UNC-CHeat to do what they did; put them on probation (which they did do); or the death penalty, withdraw their accreditation which would make them lose all Federal money and pretty much shut them down completely. Those are the only options available.
It should have done the latter, which would never happen, because all organizations protect their own above all else. It would take an outsider to shake things up. (See Weinstein, Harvey)

Every school in the ACC? How about every P-5 school.

Let's hear it for Col. Bleep, ladies and gentlemen. He'll be here all week! Don't forget to tip your waiters. :cool:
Thank you, Hoo.
Thank you very much.

I only wish I was kidding.
I also took The Physics of Toys...but that was only a one credit course.
I did a paper on the Domino Theory.

Thank you, Hoo.
Thank you very much.

After my time, there was a physics course at UVa called "How things work". It was a pretty easy course that wasn't hard to pass as "a science course for non-science majors just trying to meet the science requirements" if you actually did the work. However, it lead to all kinds of trouble. The prof got this new software that could compare term papers to see if there was plagiarism. He ran one year's through and found a bunch then he ran old ones through and found more. The present students were expelled under UVa's Honor System and at least one person had their diploma revoked.

After my time, there was a physics course at UVa called "How things work". It was a pretty easy course that wasn't hard to pass as "a science course for non-science majors just trying to meet the science requirements" if you actually did the work. However, it lead to all kinds of trouble. The prof got this new software that could compare term papers to see if there was plagiarism. He ran one year's through and found a bunch then he ran old ones through and found more. The present students were expelled under UVa's Honor System and at least one person had their diploma revoked.
UVa's action is commendable.
I think SU had a course in Plagiarism.
It was 1 to 3 credits...depending on how many times you submitted the same paper.

. He then played an album by the Canadian Group ‘Redbone’ .
The professor should have been fired if he told you Redbone was a Canadian band.
The founders...the Vegas brothers...were actually from California.
Had a huge hit with the great song "Come and Get Your Love."
And they wrote the theme song for The Munsters!

UVa's action is commendable.
I think SU had a course in Plagiarism.
It was 1 to 3 credits...depending on how many times you submitted the same paper.

I hear Joe Biden aced that course! :p

The professor should have been fired if he told you Redbone was a Canadian band.
The founders...the Vegas brothers...were actually from California.
Had a huge hit with the great song "Come and Get Your Love."
And they wrote the theme song for The Munsters!

Guess they are considered a Native American rock band and he must have thought it was close enough:rolleyes:

Thank you, Hoo.
Thank you very much.

The Physics of Toys was a great course. Loved it.

My final project was paper airplanes - I made 20 different types.