UNC football players - Between 8 percent and 10 percent read below a third-grade level. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

UNC football players - Between 8 percent and 10 percent read below a third-grade level.

I too have identified the problem and it's called interfering politicians. Keep all politics out of the education and let the people who know what to do run the show and keep pest control politicians in time out
Agree...start by doing away with the Education Department run by shills like Arnie Duncan.

Not to get too deep into this, but imo, government policies are one of the most important factors in disintegration of the American family.

Last edited:
I know this is the football board and posters will get anxiety if I take this in too far of a political direction, but I think one way to "fix" the American family is to end the War on Drugs which has been an abject failure.

The war on drugs was just a move to be able to control the illegal sale of drugs and be the one that makes money of it, it has nothing to do with stopping them from coming into the country. The US taxpayers financed illegal takeovers of certain countries under the rouse of stopping drugs.

Unions and other groups that think of themselves instead of what is the best for children are to blame for this along with the breakdown of the family structure. Having both parents work has put a strain of the family infrastructure along with the break down of the extended family. There a lot of guilty parties but money is usually the #1 culprit.

Boy, it didn't take long to blame Bush.

I'd like to ask Retro44 (or anyone else working in the field of education) what their feelings are on GWB's "No Child Left Behind" program. College Sophmores of 2014 would have been in Kindergarden when the program was implemented in 2001.

Rather than making this a "Red v. Blue" political issue, lets ask those who are on the front lines of the problem...

i'm not saying anyone in this thread is guilty of this but lots of sports writer types seem to think the solution to college athletes not being able to read is to stop them from being college athletes. still the same number of people out there who can't read, still the same number of people with sh!tty futures, but hey, out of sight out of mind.

going on a tangent here now

i would love to see a study of kids whose parents read to them that is corrected for the IQ of the parents. higher IQ parents probably read more to their kids so you have to take that into consideration (you'd overstate the impact of reading to them without controlling for that)

i'm the youngest of three. by the time i was around, my parents figured it out and read to me all the time. in kindergarten i went to a second grade room for reading. my siblings (same iqs) were read to a more normal amount and didn't read as young. it didn't matter for them whether it they learned to read at 4 5 6 whatever, they were smart enough where they were going to be fine. sample of three I know

but if your kid is below average, it's that much more important to read read read to them. i suspect their parents aren't smart enough to realize it though.

i don't think IQ is strongly related to ones ability to read but I think it's strongly related to ones desire to teach a child to read. there is not much teachers can do for below average kids who were never exposed to books and never learned to enjoy them. by the time you're in your teens, there's no enjoyment in learning to read baby books.

it's why adults are lousy at learning instruments - impatience, it's no fun to suck at something. kids don't care, they'll stick with it

the parents of these kids failed them by not making reading important

i'm referring to the portion of those bad readers that don't have a learning disability that directly makes it tougher for them to read

Last edited:
I know this is the football board and posters will get anxiety if I take this in too far of a political direction, but I think one way to "fix" the American family is to end the War on Drugs which has been an abject failure.
I have a crazy theory that the drug war indirectly increases teen poverty due to increased competition among women for mates available to them that's better left for OT board

imbalanced gender ratios mess everything up, here, china

This is why I think I'm respecting Jurich's hiring of Petrino more and more by the minute. He's dropping that pretense entirely. Petrino is a scumbag who is being hired because he will win a lot of football games. Period. It's not about the university community or developing young men or any of that bullspit.

Win. Games.

Period.
agree. transparent. families know what they're getting when their kids commit there.

boeheim is more grown up than petrino and a hell of a lot more loyal but he's no father figure and that's fine with me

i'm not saying anyone in this thread is guilty of this but lots of sports writer types seem to think the solution to college athletes not being able to read is to stop them from being college athletes. still the same number of people out there who can't read, still the same number of people with sh!tty futures, but hey, out of sight out of mind.

I think this is why people like Bilas say let them get endorsement money (or paid) because realistic people realize that the answer isn't raising eligibility standards, or denying opportunities to people. Just stop pretending that high level D1 sports aren't the minor leagues that they are...

Georgetown's sainted and venerated basketball coach, John Thompson, Jr. stormed off the court at the very suggestion that there be any academic qualification what-so-ever.

The press portrayed him as a hero.

Having spent my entire career in education (both union and non-union), I honestly believe that the unions, especially their leadership, deserve a small part of the blame for failing schools. But it's not for the reasons many would expect and it has nothing to do with money (see Wash DC) spent per pupil.

Most teachers care deeply about their students and go beyond the pale to help them succeed. Unfortunately, there are so many foundational and systemic hurdles to clear that the classroom teacher's task is almost insurmountable...especially in urban areas.

A few years ago I was sponsoring a luncheon for about 70 Language Arts Supervisors in NYC. After my presentation, we opened the floor for questions. Eventually, the discussion spiraled into a conversation about teacher frustrations and concerns.

Most were very hard on themselves and worried that they were letting their students down. At this point I said (paraphrasing) "I emphasize with your frustration but you're being too hard on yourselves." I further explained to them that, " I've been in schools all across the country and I think that I've identified the root of the problem. Not to be over simplistic, but if you find a way to fix the American family I think you'll discover that the majority of problems within your classrooms will vanish."

Obviously, identifying the root cause is far easier than solving it and probably not appropriate discussion for this board. I will say this...imo, government is not the answer, it is a big part of the problem.

Of course, you are correct.

Who knows if anything can fix the problems associated with these students families and home lives. But it wouldn't hurt if we started to be honest about where the problem was without worrying about being politically correct.

UNC, a prestigious academic institution, has just taken one big hit after another in recent years. What a mess. I bet the non-booster type alums are really thrilled. Maybe these most recent revelations account for the total lack of interest I saw on their basketball court last night.

So true. My daughter is currently on the "deferred" list for UNC as it's her top school...this with her ACT score of 34 & 32 respectively in Reading and English as well as a 4.4 GPA. Go figure...

Last edited:
The people trying to stop common core are the very people it is intended to help. Go figure.

I don't agree with that at all. I teach college freshmen in the same common core state you live in. The amount of critical thinking the common core takes away is absurd. Every year I think it can't get any worse, and the students who are coming in are significantly behind in terms of knowledge.

My wife's a teacher. Common core is an epic clusterf@ck.
there a million crazy examples. for example, whoever decided that The Awakening is useful for teaching 9th graders is crazy and out of touch

there a million crazy examples. for example, whoever decided that The Awakening is useful for teaching 9th graders is crazy and out of touch

How about teaching "The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People" to KINDERGARTNERS?! I kid you not. My roommates fiance teaches kindergarten and this was the lesson planning she was doing.

How about teaching "The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People" to KINDERGARTNERS?! I kid you not. My roommates fiance teaches kindergarten and this was the lesson planning she was doing.
kindergarten teachers hate it the most. no time for the kids to do anything fun, too much stress on the kids

I don't agree with that at all. I teach college freshmen in the same common core state you live in. The amount of critical thinking the common core takes away is absurd. Every year I think it can't get any worse, and the students who are coming in are significantly behind in terms of knowledge.

I'm not quite sure what you are really saying. Common Core at least sets a threshold for different disciplines and I do not see how that is bad. We have heard over and over that sure, our kids are falling behind in basic skills and knowledge and every time something is tried to fix it we hear that we shouldn't worry about it because our system is better at developing critical thinking. There just seems to be something wrong with that. Are the two mutually exclusive? Isn't that is some way a canard?

Surely the status quo is unacceptable.

My wife's a teacher. Common core is an epic clusterf@ck.

How so? I don't have a dog in this fight so I am genuinely interested in both side of this argument. So far I have only heard generalizations from those oppossed. Certainly we are not willing to accept the current situation so, what concrete things can be done?

Crusty said:
I'm not quite sure what you are really saying. Common Core at least sets a threshold for different disciplines and I do not see how that is bad. We have heard over and over that sure, our kids are falling behind in basic skills and knowledge and every time something is tried to fix it we hear that we shouldn't worry about it because our system is better at developing critical thinking. There just seems to be something wrong with that. Are the two mutually exclusive? Isn't that is some way a canard? Surely the status quo is unacceptable.
The tests suck and there will be no way to compare different standards when everyone is forced to do the same thing