UNC has our number | Syracusefan.com

UNC has our number

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
The zone is great, and we've played it well this year. But Carolina has it figured out. We can't both contest threes and take away great interior passing. They force our zone to move far more than we can, resulting in easy shots.

I think Roy is still mad at JB for 2003.

The zone is great, and we've played it well this year. But Carolina has it figured out. We can't both contest threes and take away great interior passing. They force our zone to move far more than we can, resulting in easy shots.
Dixon 2.0. Just no answer.

But honestly The D has been wildly inconsistent this year. Good in some statistical categories and horrible in others. We’re #183 at defending the 3 or something right? Gave up 100 to FSU. We need to become a scoring machine if we’re gonna concede the zone has some really off nights. Bottom line.

Roy is not a great bench guy but in terms of big picture and team prep he is top notch. He gets that he is going to get athletes so play fast and let them play. He also obviously prepares and preaches team which is obvious when they take the court. He is not great when the game starts but he is the best program builder in the country.

Roy is not a great bench guy but in terms of big picture and team prep he is top notch. He gets that he is going to get athletes so play fast and let them play. He also obviously prepares and preaches team which is obvious when they take the court. He is not great when the game starts but he is the best program builder in the country.
Great point. Roy almost lost last night because he didn't adjust well to the press. Easily could have won if they just reset their offense after crossing half court.

Last edited:
I think Roy Williams is the best offensive coach in the country. I don't think it's close. Maye was the 102nd best recruit in the country when he came out and is probably the frontrunner for ACC POY.

Honestly, UNC is just good. Syracuse played terrific last night. UNC moves the ball around like nobody I have seen this year and they were splashing buckets even when Cuse had hands in their face. Can't do much about it.

All that being said, Cuse almost had the win, which would have been phenomenal. But certainly nothing to hang their head about. UNC looked every bit a Final 4 team.

Gotta win 2 of the next 3, and if Cuse plays like they did last night, they can certainly do it

They don’t have our number. I recall that Wes team that took them apart. The difference is that we had Biggs who know how to play. We also had depth at the guard spot. There is no excuse not take a big every year. Hope they are looking all over to find a big that has some game

They don’t have our number. I recall that Wes team that took them apart. The difference is that we had Biggs who know how to play. We also had depth at the guard spot. There is no excuse not take a big every year. Hope they are looking all over to find a big that has some game

They have won six in a row. They have our number. That’s the definition of it. The rest I agree with you on. Can’t have so many raw bigs or bigs who don’t give you anything.

Carolina has figured out most defenses this year. Look at their scores in the run they’re on right now.

I still can’t believe we made that as close as it was.

Carolina has figured out how to pay players to come to their school and how to keep those players in school by gaming their own academic standards.

Honestly, UNC is just good. Syracuse played terrific last night. UNC moves the ball around like nobody I have seen this year and they were splashing buckets even when Cuse had hands in their face. Can't do much about it.

All that being said, Cuse almost had the win, which would have been phenomenal. But certainly nothing to hang their head about. UNC looked every bit a Final 4 team.

Gotta win 2 of the next 3, and if Cuse plays like they did last night, they can certainly do it
They have smart players. Its really as simple as that

They didn’t have our number back then, but they do now. Joining the ACC gave Williams more experience against the zone and more time to figure it out. UNC is the equivalent of UConn with Calhoun now. The Huskies beat us most of the time and knew how to attack the zone better than anyone. It took a special effort (or six overtimes) to beat them when we were in the Big East. That’s where we are with UNC.

But you know who hasn’t figured us out yet? Coach K and Duke.

They didn’t have our number back then, but they do now. Joining the ACC gave Williams more experience against the zone and more time to figure it out. UNC is the equivalent of UConn with Calhoun now. The Huskies beat us most of the time and knew how to attack the zone better than anyone. It took a special effort (or six overtimes) to beat them when we were in the Big East. That’s where we are with UNC.

It sort of did feel like UConn didn’t it? The interior passing from the bigs, getting some big offensive rebounds, good guard play, etc. Just felt there was more talent and better execution on their end. They made some dumb mistakes towards the end like Roy said not slowing it down and wildly driving into Chukwu. We did our usual ISO stuff and made some tough shots...today many of them went in except at the end. Familiar tale offensively.

You guys must have amnesia because we beat UConn as much as they beat us.

We beat UConn as much as they beat us in the Big East. JB was .500 against UConn.

This is like playing Pitino or Dixon. Frankly I’m sick of it.

Great point. Roy almost lost last night because he didn't adjust well to the zone. Easily could have won if they just reset their offense after crossing half court.
I think you mean he didn’t adjust to the press.

We beat UConn as much as they beat us in the Big East. JB was .500 against UConn.

It took a few years for Calhoun to get it going at UConn. From like 86-90 they weren’t much. Once he started getting it rolling it often felt we were overmatched. Once Ray Allen, El-Amin, Rip Hamilton, Villanueva, etc., and those types of guys started arriving there.

It took a few years for Calhoun to get it going at UConn. From like 86-90 they weren’t much. Once he started getting it rolling it often felt we were overmatched. Once Ray Allen, El-Amin, Rip Hamilton, Villanueva, etc., and those types of guys started arriving there.

We were 9-4 our last 13 games Calhoun was there from 2006-2012, including 6-1 the last 7. Our worst stretch against them was from 92-96.

Syracuse vs Connecticut

Look at the last 10-15 years we were in the BE. Pitino and Dixon figured us out too, no question.

Look at the last 10-15 years we were in the BE. Pitino and Dixon figured us out too, no question.

No kidding. That was my point. Although we did beat Louisville a bunch from 2011-2013 when we had better teams. The zone gets crushed by bigs who can pass inside and can rebound. That’s why Pitt, like UNC crushed us.

We were 9-4 our last 13 games Calhoun was there from 2006-2012, including 6-1 the last 7. Our worst stretch against them was from 92-96.

Syracuse vs Connecticut

Yup. That went in stretches too. They “had our number”(really they were just better than us) for a stretch in the 90’s, and then they beat us twice in 2003 and had some of their best teams ever from 04-06(we did well just to knock them off in 04 and incredibly in the ‘06 BET - because they were way better than us.)

Other than that it was pretty much back and forth and we had stretches where we were just better than them or “had their number” too.

UNC has had more talented, more experienced teams than us the last 4 years. We mauled them in 2014 when the opposite was true. Pretty sure Roy knew how to coach offense in 2014 too, he just didn’t have the horses that we did.

Funny thing is, I think it should be exactly the other way around - if there's one system I trust Boeheim to beat consistently, it's Carolina's under Roy. Finesse basketball with a decent tempo, that should be right in our historic wheelhouse. I'm amazed that we've been crushed by them like this since joining the ACC.

Shows what a little talent can overcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom