UNC has our number | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UNC has our number

Great point. Roy almost lost last night because he didn't adjust well to the press. Easily could have won if they just reset their offense after crossing half court.

Oh man, my favorite was the time when Pinson clearly got it into his head that he could take Chukwu one-on-one and embarrass him, despite the fact that Chukwu had been denying everyone and the only success Carolina had in breaking the press was by slowing it down across halfcourt.

So Pinson took it at him, got blocked cleanly, and ended up on the floor. Possibly my favorite play of the night, what a goofy selfish decision.

Funny thing is, I think it should be exactly the other way around - if there's one system I trust Boeheim to beat consistently, it's Carolina's under Roy. Finesse basketball with a decent tempo, that should be right in our historic wheelhouse. I'm amazed that we've been crushed by them like this since joining the ACC.

Shows what a little talent can overcome.

Yeah, agreed. We completely dominated them in 2010 and 2014, so I never saw 6 losses in a row coming to them.

If everything goes close to plan, we should have the horses to beat them the next few years.

Oh man, my favorite was the time when Pinson clearly got it into his head that he could take Chukwu one-on-one and embarrass him, despite the fact that Chukwu had been denying everyone and the only success Carolina had in breaking the press was by slowing it down across halfcourt.

So Pinson took it at him, got blocked cleanly, and ended up on the floor. Possibly my favorite play of the night, what a goofy selfish decision.

I liked the play when Berry was determined to take it in, clearly travelled, and then ate the ball. The one time I was glad they missed a call.

We were 9-4 our last 13 games Calhoun was there from 2006-2012, including 6-1 the last 7. Our worst stretch against them was from 92-96.

Syracuse vs Connecticut

Thanks for sharing. Good stuff. Yeah it just seemed to me that some of our better teams and players really struggled with them. Warrick and GMac against them. GMac was 3-10. Warrick 3-7. Wallace 2-6. Etan 2-7. Melo 0-2. Flynn 1-3.

Scoop/Triche conversely were 5-1. Coleman/Douglas 4-2. Just felt more lopsided to me in their favor.

Thanks for sharing. Good stuff. Yeah it just seemed to me that some of our better teams and players really struggled with them. Warrick and GMac against them. GMac was 3-10. Warrick 3-7. Wallace 2-6. Etan 2-7. Scoop/Triche conversely were 5-1. Coleman/Douglas 4-2. Just felt more lopsided to me.

Your Etan numbers are off a bit, we were 4-5 against them from 96-97 to 99-00.

They didn’t have our number back then, but they do now. Joining the ACC gave Williams more experience against the zone and more time to figure it out. UNC is the equivalent of UConn with Calhoun now. The Huskies beat us most of the time and knew how to attack the zone better than anyone. It took a special effort (or six overtimes) to beat them when we were in the Big East. That’s where we are with UNC.

But you know who hasn’t figured us out yet? Coach K and Duke.

They have better talent that's about it .If we had one big man with a legit post game , we win that game

We’ve been mediocre the past 4 years and UNC has been a national title caliber program over the same time period. I think they’ve simply won because they have had better players and better teams, and not because of the system they run like Dixon or Pitino. In 2016 they were 3-0 against us. Is that because they were the most talented team in the country playing against a 9-9 ACC squad, or because “they own us”?

We had normal, top 15 SU teams in 2010 and 2014 and we crushed them. It’s the players, not the coaches or the system

Did he not play? Injury? Or came off the bench?

As a freshman? Don’t know. I was just going off the results from the years he was here and he was a freshman in 96-97 when we beat them twice. I believe he started for awhile that year when Burgan was out suspended, and was coming off the bench the rest of the year but have no idea how much he played in those games.

If I recall, 96-97 was a rare year where neither team was all that good.

In my view, Carolina's 6 game run against us has really been all about match ups. They have had both excellent interior guys along with shooters to simply expose and carve up the zone. If we stretch the zone to get up on their shooters, it opens up our interior, making it too vulnerable for our personnel to handle theirs. During this 6 game dominance of theirs, they have had control of the games, where we never led or led for a very short time. Yesterday we led 3-2 after Frank hits a three, they immediately came back and got a bucket...we never led again. They simply have had more talent, and highly ranked, us, not so much during this span.

So much for ole Roy not being able to play in the halfcourt and draw up plays. Only transition. Eh, no.

In my view, Carolina's 6 game run against us has really been all about match ups. They have had both excellent interior guys along with shooters to simply expose and carve up the zone. If we stretch the zone to get up on their shooters, it opens up our interior, making it too vulnerable for our personnel to handle theirs. During this 6 game dominance of theirs, they have had control of the games, where we never led or led for a very short time. Yesterday we led 3-2 after Frank hits a three, they immediately came back and got a bucket...we never led again. They simply have had more talent, and highly ranked, us, not so much during this span.
Simply stated ... UNC is playing with multiple AA players, most of which stay until they are upperclassmen. Their centers and forwards have had a ton of girth too, which can thrive against our length and wiry forwards/centers.

Meanwhile, SU does not quite recruit in that stratosphere, and when we find good players the last 3-4 years, they almost universally leave early (and rarely become even upperclassmen). Toss in the scholarship reductions and ... boom, you have an 0-5 or 0-6 streak against a Heels program that has been near dominant in that span. We'll start winning our fair share, not too worried.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom