UNC opens -6 over Syracuse... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UNC opens -6 over Syracuse...

werent we 11 point underdogs at miami? boeheim's return has gotta be influencing that line, not just from a coaching influence but from an emotional standpoint as well.

roy.png

I don't like that line at all.....

Meeks is coming back tom, defending Johnson and Meeks down low is going to be a nightmare.
Paige is the one you need to shut down or at least slow down. He's the driver of this bus.

werent we 11 point underdogs at miami? boeheim's return has gotta be influencing that line, not just from a coaching influence but from an emotional standpoint as well.

Nope. The difference between playing a home and away against the same team (or similar team) is 7 points. Miami and UNC also have similar efficiency figures (basically tied in KP)-- Vegas used a model that is very close to KP to set opening odds.

Against equal teams --- 11 point dog on the road is same as a 4 point dog at home.

Never doubt KenPom!!!

I susoect Vegas is now using a similar efficiency model to set the baselines for opening odds) rather than really considering the matchup -- they more often than not start within a point of what KP says, and when they veer off a few points like this game, there is good reason for it (the inside mismatch). But games rarely veer 3 points off.

As an aside, and I am only a casual better, it would seem to be stupid to bet using variances in lines from the KP model now, since that is essentially the baseline. When there is a gap from the KP model it signals some strong matchup observation and is the opposite of a numerical advantage.

Last edited:
Looks like the easiest cover of the year. Does half the UNC team have the flu or something?

I wonder what the board's record is when there is general consensus about a near slam dunk.

As a rule I don't ever bet on SU games, but anyone who does hammer the Heels.

line has only moved up half a point to -6.5.

I susoect Vegas is now using a similar efficiency model to set the baselines for opening odds) rather than really considering the matchup -- they more often than not start within a point of what KP says, and when they veer off a few points like this game, there is good reason for it (the inside mismatch). But games rarely veer 3 points off.

As an aside, and I am only a casual better, it would seem to be stupid to bet using variances in lines from the KP model now, since that is essentially the baseline. When there is a gap from the KP model it signals some strong matchup observation and is the opposite of a numerical advantage.

In the past, can't speak to this year or last, if there was a less than 4 point gap between the KenPom prediction and the line, there was no significant difference in how a team performed ATS. However, when there was a gap of more than 4 points in a teams direction they covered at around 60% (more points didn't increase this).

In the past, can't speak to this year or last, if there was a less than 4 point gap between the KenPom prediction and the line, there was no significant difference in how a team performed ATS. However, when there was a gap of more than 4 points in a teams direction they covered at around 60% (more points didn't increase this).

I would suspect it's more of a thing of the past -- even compared to 4 years ago, you can hardly find any large gaps anymore which means the models have to be fairly replicative.

Cuse haven't covered a spread since December 22nd against Montana st so...

Pretty sure they've only covered 4-5 games all year 2 of which were the upsets in the Bahamas then Montana st Colgate and Cornell. Perhaps bonnaventure also.

Being a fan and being a gambler are two different things.

I cashed out midway in the half with a 15% loss (which could be quite a bit better than $0). It feels a whole lot better.

Go Orange.

hopefully my degenerate gambling friends took my advice

giphy.gif

I put a nice amount of Pitt today. This week has actually been solid, 9 wins 2 losses. Have to keep my wins quiet, the girlfriend will want some fancy dinner or something.

Hahaha. Great call with "hammer" the heels. Coin flip with 2 minutes to go. You're a sage!!

if it's a lock after 10 minutes or the favorite makes you sweat it's all the same when you cash in at the window.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom