UNC Suspending Athletics for at least 24 hours | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UNC Suspending Athletics for at least 24 hours

Meanwhile...youth sports all continue on including the sports my kids play. Wonder why there isn't more discussion about youth sports? No testing, no masks, etc.

I would think that people who are in support of going forward with youth sports point to stats that indicate that kids are the least affected demographic.
I don't agree with this but a lot of people think the risk is low that the kids will get sick and/or will infect older, more vulnerable people.

Why is UNC so pressed about football all of a sudden? They suck anyway. Pack it in and hope for a hoops season.

pretty sure they are ranked 18th in polls and have had insane recruiting classes since Mack got there and should have beat Clemson last year.

Minus the “insane recruiting” that could apply to us last year - and that didn’t turn out too well.

They went 7-6...

Last year was pretty eye opening, stories about guys like Burrow and Fields never actually going on campus, all classes are online. The Manley complex is decently set up already. Don't think moving the kids to online is that far-fetched.
Why would they miss out on the college experience? Be big man on campus? Stress over finals and pull all-nighters in the library with their fellow students?

Why would they miss out on the college experience? Be big man on campus? Stress over finals and pull all-nighters in the library with their fellow students?

Those days are long over. And for this year that experience would be minimized anyway.

Meanwhile...youth sports all continue on including the sports my kids play. Wonder why there isn't more discussion about youth sports? No testing, no masks, etc.

this.

I just don't think it's being policed as much and people are pushing the envelopment with it. it's the dirty little secret that no one talks about. Heck we were issued a cease and desist letter in july by the county that ended up being rescinded. you're talking 10K fine for your first offense. Pop Warner is the big ticket item and there was an article yesterday in the Syracuse paper about Syracuse Pop Warner pushing on. There's been no word yet about Pop Warner in Saratoga County. Some of the issue is available fields. Some parks and rec facilities aren't allowing sports yet and school fields are off limits. Hell, backboards are still removed from park courts.

Minus the “insane recruiting” that could apply to us last year - and that didn’t turn out too well.

They went 7-6...

I would equate the 13th ranked class nationally as insane for 2020...

this.

I just don't think it's being policed as much and people are pushing the envelopment with it. it's the dirty little secret that no one talks about. Heck we were issued a cease and desist letter in july by the county that ended up being rescinded. you're talking 10K fine for your first offense. Pop Warner is the big ticket item and there was an article yesterday in the Syracuse paper about Syracuse Pop Warner pushing on. There's been no word yet about Pop Warner in Saratoga County. Some of the issue is available fields. Some parks and rec facilities aren't allowing sports yet and school fields are off limits. Hell, backboards are still removed from park courts.
Pop warner here in the fulton area was canceled. But there's a baseball field in oswego near the jail that ive seen leaving work that has been absolutely rocking at times with so many people and kids playing. Nothing makes sense here with how they are going about things be it sports/school/work/etc. There's zero consistency in any of the decisions being made.

I wouldn't be comfortable having my kids in youth sports right now, but it can be argued that it's safer than college. Outside of the sports, the parents have some control over how much their kids are exposed to other people, at least until school starts. Of course, you don't know how much other parents are isolating themselves or their kids.

If everything is virtual, that wouldn't be an issue.

I asked because I didn't hear any news about virtual classes yet at SU.
It seems pretty short-sighted to possibly go to virtual at this point, after students are on campus.
If there is a chance of going virtual, I would hope that the administration wouldn't have the students move in just yet and that they'd wait until some set period of time passed.

I don't see the state erecting walls and isolating every single visitor from outside of the state.

I have no idea what you’re talking about. in New York the curve has been flattened. Averaging about 500 new cases a day and less than 1% positive in a state that has a 19 million people is not a plateau.

I have no idea what you’re talking about. in New York the curve has been flattened. Averaging about 500 new cases a day and less than 1% positive in a state that has a 19 million people is not a plateau.

Numbers have been good for a long time. Obviously colleges starting up brings forth new challenges to keep it that way, though.

How about people (like college students) coming in from other states?

I asked because I didn't hear any news about virtual classes yet at SU.
It seems pretty short-sighted to possibly go to virtual at this point, after students are on campus.
If there is a chance of going virtual, I would hope that the administration wouldn't have the students move in just yet and that they'd wait until some set period of time passed.
I wasn't referring specifically to SU. It was a hypothetical statement about how fall college athetics could potentially take place everywhere. The virtual classes was an easy assumption for me with this thread being about UNC.

I agree. A number of states are having high school sports with the only requirement is they get a physical. Does not make any sense.

Further evidence we will not have a season. Depending on how long they’re suspended how will they be ready to play?
Dino mentioned that su players are at different levels because of the starts and stops. This clearly will apply to a number of teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom