UNC turning their season around | Syracusefan.com

UNC turning their season around

Eric15

Living Legend
They have won 5 in a row to improve their record 16-7 (6-4). You could say, "well they're only beating mediocre ACC teams" - that's true, but since they have so many non-conference megawins in their back pocket (Kentucky, Michigan State, Louisville), that's really all they need to do.

I think they could play their way into a 4 seed or so in the tourney if they keep on this track.

A 4 seed feels high given their losses, but I agree with the general premise. If they do some work against Duke or make a big run in the ACC tournament, you could be right.

I still don't think they're disciplined enough to make a serious run in March though.

They have won 5 in a row to improve their record 16-7 (6-4). You could say, "well they're only beating mediocre ACC teams" - that's true, but since they have so many non-conference megawins in their back pocket (Kentucky, Michigan State, Louisville), that's really all they need to do.

I think they could play their way into a 4 seed or so in the tourney if they keep on this track.

If they beat Duke on Wednesday, that very well may be the case.

They certainly could beat duke. Much like their earlier big wins duke will be happy to play up and down which is uncs preference. By doing so it would help us out.

royboy got the memo.

torch-and-pitchfork.jpg

I actually think they beat Duke at least once. They are a bad match up for Duke when they handle the ball pressure. Duke's turn around has had a lot to do with sending 3 or 4 guys to the offensive glass and pressuring the ball. This plays right into UNC wanting to get up and down whole not only allowing them to play Brit and Paige together, in fact it may force them to at times. Duke likes to shoot long jumpers quickly these rebounds play into UNC's hands and UNC is much bigger and has more depth on the front line. If Duke doesn't shoot well I wouldn't be surprised at all to see UNC win both of these games. This is why I think they could grab one of the last protected seeds. Losses have piled up on teams in the BiG10 and 12 to the point of teams we expect to be protected seeds out of those conferences only have one or 2 losses more than UNC in some cases.

At the risk of sounding dismissive, This turnaround was predictable given their schedule.

At the risk of sounding dismissive, This turnaround was predictable given their schedule.

Very true and the good teams they beat early on were mainly due to matchup advantages and styles. They have however been playing a bit better although as you point out against teams they should be beating.

Based solely on how other teams played in their one game against us - without a doubt UNC was the worst team we played all season - they looked horrible in all aspects of the game - weak and slow with no skill or shooting

Carolina will win both times. They will get Jefferson in foul trouble and then use fatboy Kennedy Meeks to push him around or their athletes to drive around him. He's pretty soft once he has two fouls against him. Plumlee will not be able to guard any of UNC's athletic big men. I feel there will be a lot of offensive boards for the heels, leading to many easy put backs or tip-ins. Roy will also use a rare timeout to stop a duke run. The second game, duke will have nothing to play for besides bragging rights. They will have the 2 or 3 seed locked up in the ACC tourney and a 2 seed in the Ncaa's as we'll. Carolina will have a lot more to play for and be a better team than already are with 7-8 more games to go in the season. Duke has hit their peak and IMO, can only play worse than they have been. It can be hard to play at your top level every time out. Cuse hasn't and we have been lucky that it was vs far lesser opponents than Carolina.

The important thing is that they are learning how to win games again. Their chemistry was destroyed by the suspensions to start the season. There is a lot of talent on that roster, despite how much people were putting them down after we beat them. They're still North Carolina for goodness' sake. It's not like their players are undersized, too slow and lack skills. Roy Williams is a good coach, if a little too Huckleberry Hound / Opey Taylor for most of us. But that's cool. He fits his school.

Or certainly a 5 seed - which is pretty much the same thing.

TDTOran post: 930251 said:
A 4 seed feels high given their losses, but I agree with the general premise. If they do some work against Duke or make a big run in the ACC tournament, you could be right.

I still don't think they're disciplined enough to make a serious run in March though.
They will beat Duke Wed.

The important thing is that they are learning how to win games again. Their chemistry was destroyed by the suspensions to start the season. There is a lot of talent on that roster, despite how much people were putting them down after we beat them. They're still North Carolina for goodness' sake. It's not like their players are undersized, too slow and lack skills. Roy Williams is a good coach, if a little too Huckleberry Hound / Opey Taylor for most of us. But that's cool. He fits his school.
HHound.jpg

Yeah they have 5 top 10 recruits on the roster right now. People just like to make fun of them when they suck because it's more embarrassing for them to do it with a starting lineup of all McD's all-americans. But overall they are still very talented/dangerous.

rocky-balboa11.jpg

"Hey, yo, yeah, you know, those people from the South sound so stooopit when dey toowalk, you know what I'm sayin'? I'm standin' heah!"

I'm not convinced, their six conference wins are; BC, Clemson, @Ga Tech, NC St, Maryland, and ND. Clemson is the only possible tourney team on that list. I think if they want a decent seed it depends on what happens vs Duke and vs Pitt in their next two.

UNC just wants to avoid the 8-9 game or 7 seed in Kansas region. If UNC splits with Duke and beats Pitt at home they could be a 5-6 seed if they finished 11-7/12-6. They have real good wins on their resume @Michigan State when they were fully healthy, Louisville-Neutral floor, and Kentucky.

I said a little while back that UNC could top out as a 4 seed, now I think that's kind of low. If they were to win out from here, which is certainly possible, I think their ceiling is a 2 seed.

I said a little while back that UNC could top out as a 4 seed, now I think that's kind of low. If they were to win out from here, which is certainly possible, I think their ceiling is a 2 seed.

Before last night the Bracket Matrix had them at a 6 seed. Certainly playing their way into a top 4 seed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom