University Event Parking To Go Cashless Beginning Dec. 6 | Syracusefan.com

University Event Parking To Go Cashless Beginning Dec. 6

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Starting on Tuesday, Dec. 6, when the Syracuse University men’s basketball team hosts Oakland University, fans will no longer need cash to pay for parking at campus events. The University’s Parking and Transportation Services department has transitioned to a cashless payment model in all University-owned lots and garages.

Accepted forms of payment include all major credit cards, as well as Google Pay and Apple Pay. The transition follows the move to cashless payment options within the JMA Wireless Dome, which took place in the fall of 2021.

I almost want to make a fuss about this. On your paper notes it says "legal tender"
Which means if you offer cash, and it is not accepted, the vendor has no legal claim on the debt.
Take your beer and walk away, you cannot be arrested. Not that the legal technicality will stop them, so one would need a willing lawyer ready to defend you.
Any lawyers out there feel like making some noise about the digital transition?

I almost want to make a fuss about this. On your paper notes it says "legal tender"
Which means if you offer cash, and it is not accepted, the vendor has no legal claim on the debt.
Take your beer and walk away, you cannot be arrested. Not that the legal technicality will stop them, so one would need a willing lawyer ready to defend you.

I tried offering 25 cents for a cup of milk at the NYS Fair a few years ago. I was told I needed a token.

So I walked about 2 feet over to the token booth and exchanged my quarter for a token.

44bb5320-824b-415c-96e4-08aa0d5732c3_text.gif

I don’t think it works like that. At least, The Fed disagrees with your position.

Last edited:
I don’t think it works like that. At least, The Fed, disagrees with your position.
Hmm, that's a bit like having your cake and eating it too. Then again, the Fed gets to do things like that.

That’s not how it works, at least currently. NY has a bill in committee that would make it illegal for food and beverage services to refuse cash NY State Senate Bill S4691 It does not seem to have gotten anywhere.
It’s the same as businesses refusing to take $100 bills. (Which I had reviewed previously).
Now, if you went to pay your taxes with cash, I don’t know that you can be refused. The government must accept the cash.

Idk, if you’re not a conspiracy theorist who thinks the govt gives a damn about your Irving garage parking purchase (which if so, just get prepaid Visa cards with cash), then I don’t see an issue. The private lots will still take cash so you can still use those.

People still carry cash?
The townies at the bars I find myself in throw pickled eggs at you until you leave if you try to hand the bartender a card

You must watch The Basketball Tournament.

I do but I like it a lot and it’s so damn easy. Have convinced many people I do business with to get it and they have and they’re glad they did.

I know a bunch of people who are moving away from venmo/paypal just because of the tax laws and back to cash.

I know a bunch of people who are moving away from venmo/paypal just because of the tax laws and back to cash.
Sounds like they are businesses that should be reporting income anyway.