UNLV big play recap | Syracusefan.com

UNLV big play recap

DomeHolmes

Walk On
Sat in sec 132 row 10 with a few knowledgeable guys. Made it fun. UNLV quiet except for angry lady in pink.

First overall thought is their highly acclaimed defense is more a factor of who they played vs ability. LBs very good, as were the corners and #1 good. The rest not so much. D coordinator gets an F for daring us to throw to Gadsden 1v1 all day.

First series, first play, saw 10 yard cushion on Pena, no safety help. Called it out. Next play 10 yards on Gadsden, no safety help. Called that pre snap too. At 13 yard line said “no way giving Gadsden another cushion with no safety!”. Had to be a disguised coverage right? No!! Linebacker does not drop into coverage and easy pitch and catch.
shovel pass to Laquint a new wrinkle and nice design.

2nd drive. New look 3 TE right. (not our normal bunch) LB has contain but looks to play run all the way. Gadsden uncovered! If he ran a “go“ he scores but the play was a crossing pattern and he ran it. They were fooled by a new look.

QB TD run on high fumbled snap, Diggs in good position and clearly held at the 10 yard line and we most likely hold them to a field goal If called. It was blatant.

First Blocked punt. All blocks Good, including Mang as protector. Petry the other protector whiffs on White. Do we not have a fullback who can block here As protector?

Unlv one long run. Good play to get to second level but Cinco had a good angle and was actually blocked (Impeded) by the ref. Freak play. Should have been 10 yard Gain.

Unlv one long pass to #11. Lewis in ok position but goes to tackle high. He is too small. If he went at his feet probably tackles him. Prop though as he chases 50 yards to make the tackle.

1st long run for Willis. Actually gets away with a face mask but ref is screened from it and he lets go quickly. His straight arm is good.

interception by McCord. Laquint actually looks open for a second but linebacker has good position. The one concerned with Mccord is there are too many of this type of throw.

Second long Willis TD run, Catalon has a great angle but was fooled by Willis’ speed and he beats him to the spot. When Nixon is back, Wills still needs 5-10 touches per game and I think will get them.

Right before 2nd blocked punt, Gadsden has separation but slows down on rout inexplicably , and LB breaks up pass. Would have gained 20. 100% effort here and there is no blocked kick. (and likely enough points to ensure victory)

Second blocked kick. Comedy of errors. One gunner. 7 blocking 9 at first level. 2 linemen with matador blocks, and go right down field to cover? What? Barron leaves his man, #11 White, stud who blocked the last kick, to double team another guy!! What? #11 comes in hot and Petry whiffs again!! 2 other unblocked guys might have just missed if #11 not unblocked. We need to put three protectors back and two of them protect toward his kicking foot. Not hard. I will have concerns if we don’t see a different formation and different players next week.

game tying drive. Gadsden held, and throws defender off like a rag doll. No call but 15 yard gain. Big time move by Meeks next play. LQA run could not be seen clearly from my vantage point in the game, but in the replay clearly showed great balance and determination he had. Had the defender wrapped up, no way he gets the first down. The blocking was actually very good, the safety came like a missile. And did a good job reading and play. TD to Meeks was clearly pass interference but no flag. Had he not held on, we would’ve had a lot to gripe about. Also also great technique to get the ball in the left-hand cushion fall with right. Big boy catch.

Overtime, chop block completely inexplicable. Nobody is taught that and nobody should think they should get away with it. Almost cost us the game except for equally stupid penalty by rebels.

LQA run. Nuff said.

All in all, clearly watching the tape we were a little bit better and proved it statistically. I felt like UNLV played about as good as they could, and we did not. I’m cautiously optimistic about this team, most of our wounds are self-inflicted. Tighten things up and we can have a memorable season.

Sat in sec 132 row 10 with a few knowledgeable guys. Made it fun. UNLV quiet except for angry lady in pink.

First overall thought is their highly acclaimed defense is more a factor of who they played vs ability. LBs very good, as were the corners and #1 good. The rest not so much. D coordinator gets an F for daring us to throw to Gadsden 1v1 all day.

First series, first play, saw 10 yard cushion on Pena, no safety help. Called it out. Next play 10 yards on Gadsden, no safety help. Called that pre snap too. At 13 yard line said “no way giving Gadsden another cushion with no safety!”. Had to be a disguised coverage right? No!! Linebacker does not drop into coverage and easy pitch and catch.

2nd drive. New look 3 TE right. (not our normal bunch) LB has contain but looks to play run all the way. Gadsden uncovered! If he ran a “go“ he scores but the play was a crossing pattern and he ran it. They were fooled by a new look.

QB TD run on high fumbled snap, Diggs in good position and clearly held at the 10 yard line and we most likely hold them to a field goal If called. It was blatant.

First Blocked punt. All blocks Good, including Mang as protector. Petry the other protector whiffs on White. Do we not have a fullback who can block here As protector?

Unlv one long run. Good play to get to second level but Cinco had a good angle and was actually blocked (Impeded) by the ref. Freak play. Should have been 10 yard Gain.

Unlv one long pass to #11. Lewis in ok position but goes to tackle high. He is too small. If he went at his feet probably tackles him. Prop though as he chases 50 yards to make the tackle.

1st long run for Willis. Actually gets away with a face mask but ref is screened from it and he lets go quickly. His straight arm is good.

interception by McCord. Laquint actually looks open for a second but linebacker has good position. The one concerned with Mccord is there are too many of this type of throw.

Second long Willis TD run, Catalon has a great angle but was fooled by Willis’ speed and he beats him to the spot. When Nixon is back, Wills still needs 5-10 touches per game and I think will get them.

Right before 2nd blocked punt, Gadsden has separation but slows down on rout inexplicably , and LB breaks up pass. Would have gained 20. 100% effort here and there is no blocked kick. (and likely enough points to ensure victory)

Second blocked kick. Comedy of errors. One gunner. 7 blocking 9 at first level. 2 linemen with matador blocks, and go right down field to cover? What? Barron leaves his man, #11 White, stud who blocked the last kick, to double team another guy!! What? #11 comes in hot and Petry whiffs again!! 2 other unblocked guys might have just missed if #11 not unblocked. We need to put three protectors back and two of them protect toward his kicking foot. Not hard. I will have concerns if we don’t see a different formation and different players next week.

game tying drive. Gadsden held, and throws defender off like a rag doll. No call but 15 yard gain. Big time move by Meeks next play. LQA run could not be seen clearly from my vantage point in the game, but in the replay clearly showed great balance and determination he had. Had the defender wrapped up, no way he gets the first down. The blocking was actually very good, the safety came like a missile. And did a good job reading and play. TD to Meeks was clearly pass interference but no flag. Had he not held on, we would’ve had a lot to gripe about. Also also great technique to get the ball in the left-hand cushion fall with right. Big boy catch.

Overtime, chop block completely inexplicable. Nobody is taught that and nobody should think they should get away with it. Almost cost us the game except for equally stupid penalty by rebels.

LQA run. Nuff said.

All in all, clearly watching the tape we were a little bit better and proved it statistically. I felt like UNLV played about as good as they could, and we did not. I’m cautiously optimistic about this team, most of our wounds are self-inflicted. Tighten things up and we can have a memorable season.
We've yet to play 4 full quarters of good football.

LQA run. Nuff said.

Great post. I noticed that Baron let 11 go free twice. Both botched punts. For some odd reason he chose to help on the inside man instead of outside rusher 11. And as you said Petry might as well not have been there. Hard to watch.

Last edited:

LQA run. Nuff said.

This might be one of my favorite posts ever in this board in 13+ years.

It seems we're so close to putting together 4 quarters, and when we do it's going to be fun to watch.

the 2 Key throws. The INT to LA and the one where #11 made they play on Gasden were both throws based on formation where Kyle needs to throw the ball over the top and not on a line. One would have been a TD and another a huge gain. Neither throw was all that good a bit late and behind, but better location was available to make them much easier plays. Some of that is it was not first read stuff so a bit off balance.

Great post. I noticed that Baron let 11 go free twice. Both botched punts. For some odd reason he chose to help on the inside man instead of outside rusher 11. And as you said Petry might as well not have been there. Hard to watch.
Poor blocking, yes, but an even more baffling personnel choice asking Petry to beat an NFL-level speed guy to a spot. Volano knew (should have known) White was a ST ace since he had blocked a punt (resulting in a TD) the previous game. White's field speed is obvious. Need to put someone in front of him quick enough to stop him ... Yasin where were you?

Last edited:
Poor blocking, yes, but an even more baffling personnel choice asking Petry to beat an NFL-level speed guy to a spot. Volano knew (should have known) White was a ST ace since he had blocked a punt (resulting in a TD) the previous game. We could all see White's speed on the field. Need to put someone in front of him quick enough to stop him ... Yasin where were you?
This ST failure just gets me angry because we have been just gifting points to teams that we would be beating soundly. This in a potentially very special year. It’s gotta stop.

I thought the same on the INT, when LQA went into his break it looked like he had separation, but the throw did not go to where he was headed, stayed behind him.

The chop block was a strange one to me, seemed backwards from the rule intention. If one guy is engaged, and then another comes in low, that's dangerous. This one, the one OL went low, and it looked like the defender then fell into the other OL who was in position to block. But I guess if the two things happen then it doesn't matter the order?

Was glad Willis didn't get the face mask. First touched it, then quickly grabbed, then quickly let go.

Forgot one big one. Deuces interception was great concentration but 90% of the credit goes to Barron who wrapped up QB and forced the bad pass.
I agree on this point - I hated Barron in the back end but I think he is playing very well at LB. Better than Wax was before he went down.

I agree on this point - I hated Barron in the back end but I think he is playing very well at LB. Better than Wax was before he went down.
I wonder if when Wax is back if Barron stays at LB and that moves McDonald off the field. He's struggling with this defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom