Update from other Boards | Syracusefan.com

Update from other Boards

Subob1

Walk On
Reports hat McCullough will take SATs and if successful will reclassify to 2013 knocking SU out of the Roberson (predicts Nova soon ), Vonleh (UI?), Lawerence (SJU?) races. If not successful he will stay where he is the the recruiting wars will continue as is. Maybe this makes the continued interest in Jordan more understandable. Also, other Boards suggest Dakari an ever so slight SU lean. FWIW.

Reports hat McCullough will take SATs and if successful will reclassify to 2013 knocking SU out of the Roberson (predicts Nova soon ), Vonleh (UI?), Lawerence (SJU?) races. If not successful he will stay where he is the the recruiting wars will continue as is. Maybe this makes the continued interest in Jordan more understandable. Also, other Boards suggest Dakari an ever so slight SU lean. FWIW.
It's starting to fit together.

I may be alone on this but I'd kinda prefer McCullough to stay in 2014. That way we have him coming then, and stil have another forward this year. McCullouh also will have had anothe year to develop to become even more of an instant impact. (I know this is is original class) 2014 seems like it's going to be a real weak class with so many of the top players leaving and going to 2013.

BTW how much of that is factual and not speculation?

I may be alone on this but I'd kinda prefer McCullough to stay in 2014. That way we have him coming then, and stil have another forward this year. McCullouh also will have had anothe year to develop to become even more of an instant impact. (I know this is is original class) 2014 seems like it's going to be a real weak class with so many of the top players leaving and going to 2013.

BTW how much of that is factual and not speculation?
Not alone at all. I VERY much want him to stay in 2014 class. We can get anoher top notch F for 13, plus prob have Rak and or DC back, and have McCullough in our back pocket for 14. Really prefered Johnson in 14 too for that matter, but that ship has sailed. So give me one or two of Roberson, Vonleh, Johnson, and Lawrence for 13, and let CM bring his pal Whitehead along in 14.

I kinda prefer everyone but Ennis were in 2014... but apparently reclassifying is the new black.

I've heard a lot about UF being the leader for Dakari so far. Obviously, I hope it isn't the case.

McCullough would be here 1 or 2 years tops why not have him sooner than later :) it's not like he needs 4 years of eligibility

McCullough would be here 1 or 2 years tops why not have him sooner than later :) it's not like he needs 4 years of eligibility
I know why I would like to have him next year, because we are in such good shape with other top forwards in the class of 2013. If he decides to reclassify to 2013, then that is great, but if he stayed in 2014 and we get a top forward in 2013, all the better.

I've heard a lot about UF being the leader for Dakari so far. Obviously, I hope it isn't the case.

Are we not pushing right up against our schollie limit already?

Let's assume for a second that we land Whitehead and one more forward from 2013/2014. At what point do we stop going after every elite talent on the wish list and begin making a full court press putting all focus on our very top target(s)?

If I'm a high school recruit and an elite program rails off a list of top 20 players they are recruiting... but then tells me that there is only so much room, and if they only had one ship to offer it would go to me, I'd friggin love to hear that.

I think we as fans all love it when high end a recruit calls SU their "dream school". Fans just have an extra level of appreciation of players that truly want to be a part of the program and are in essence fans themselves... but this works both ways!

Guess what I'm saying is, it would be nice to know who the staff considers atop their wish list ... and I hope they are making that recruit aware of that fact. Especially if stocked with enough talent & commitments to not worry about 'contingency recruits'.

Not alone at all. I VERY much want him to stay in 2014 class. We can get anoher top notch F for 13, plus prob have Rak and or DC back, and have McCullough in our back pocket for 14. Really prefered Johnson in 14 too for that matter, but that ship has sailed. So give me one or two of Roberson, Vonleh, Johnson, and Lawrence for 13, and let CM bring his pal Whitehead along in 14.
I prefer to get him for 2013. Why worry about getting two kids for a season each? If McC reclassifies we probably have him for two years instead of one. Best of both worlds - still have the top level talent, but he gets to play at least one season with experience and familiarity with our system.

He loves SU but this won't play out until the spring. Florida is definitely more of a threat than UK at the moment.

Let's assume for a second that we land Whitehead and one more forward from 2013/2014. At what point do we stop going after every elite talent on the wish list and begin making a full court press putting all focus on our very top target(s)?

If I'm a high school recruit and an elite program rails off a list of top 20 players they are recruiting... but then tells me that there is only so much room, and if they only had one ship to offer it would go to me, I'd friggin love to hear that.

I think we as fans all love it when high end a recruit calls SU their "dream school". Fans just have an extra level of appreciation of players that truly want to be a part of the program and are in essence fans themselves... but this works both ways!

Guess what I'm saying is, it would be nice to know who the staff considers atop their wish list ... and I hope they are making that recruit aware of that fact. Especially if stocked with enough talent & commitments to not worry about 'contingency recruits'.
Relax it's all good it's all right.

I think SU's scholarship situation will play a role in this, but they ought to know by the middle of next week what this class will look like. If Roberson is so into SU like it sounds, and he ends up going elsewhere, we can read through the tea leaves that the staff may have rescinded his offer, or that they'll ask him to wait. Will he be willing to do that may be the big part of it. IMHO, as good as Johnson is, I don't think he's a necessity in the '13 class. Chino will be a stable contributor in a few years, but the staff must be cautious of one of the front court players declaring early. That said, if the staff finds out that the intention of one of those forward/centers is to enter the NBA draft, there's a possibility of taking Dakari and Roberson. If that's the case, that they can allow either of those two to accept schollies, the team will look very different next year.

It just seems like a bad idea to take a potential one-and-done center when we could potentially have a frontcourt with TWO McDAA centers already. Would it not be wiser to put all focus on a center for 2014/2015? I mean... at worst both Rak and DC2 have phenomenal seasons this year and enter the draft, leaving us with one year with BMK holding sole center duties. If we can win a NC with Craig Forth as a freshman then I hardly consider a 2013 center to be a need. Would rather throw the kitchen sink at a top SF for 2013/2014.

He loves SU but this won't play out until the spring. Florida is definitely more of a threat than UK at the moment.
Francis - What do you hear on CM reclassifying? If he does would we hold a spot for Johnson or take a forward or first come first served? Will SU take 6 this year?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Francis - What do you hear on CM reclassifying? If he does would we hold a spot for Johnson or take a forward or first come first served? Will SU take 6 this year?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2
Haven't heard anything official yet but the rumors of him becoming 2013 has been around since he committed. The Johnson situation will depend on who leaves after the season. As much as he loves SU, he's obviously going to want major minutes asap.

Kids wanna get to that $$$$ quicker.
Why does it feel like college bball is inevitably going to be due for a "recruit recession" one of these years? All these one-and-done success stories are encouraging more and more recruits into college ASAP to get to the NBA ASAP ... eventually you get over-encumbered by a bubble of players who think they are NBA ready that aren't, a dead year of recruiting follows, along with a period of years filled with great recruits scared away from reclassifying.

Can call this cycle "The Kentucky Recession"

Why does it feel like college bball is inevitably going to be due for a "recruit recession" one of these years? All these one-and-done success stories are encouraging more and more recruits into college ASAP to get to the NBA ASAP ... eventually you get over-encumbered by a bubble of players who think they are NBA ready that aren't, a dead year of recruiting follows, along with a period of years filled with great recruits scared away from reclassifying.

The once strong 2014 class is being depleted. The good thing is Kentucky can't buy...oops, I mean take, they can't take all of the top players. Unless a bunch of 2015 kids reclassify to 2014, that class may be a little weak. Dakari Johnson went from number three in 2014 to around fifteen in 2013.

I think its going to be the flaw in Kentucky's model. By hedging their success based on how good the top players in each class are, they basically are only as strong as that years recruiting class. In 2014 there aren't a ton of huge difference making players, and I don't think UK gets all of them. Tyus Jones I could see going to Duke or Mich St instead and I never hear UK and Okafor linked. It would be fun to see them finally have it back fire and hopefully slow down his momentum a little bit.

As you put it in the end, Calipari better hope his monster class brings in championship number 2 for him because that 2014 class is looking weak for high impact players.

The NCAA changed some academic guidelines beginning in 2016. Which will make it harder for kids who reclassify by repeating a grade in high school to qualify. I think because of that you'll see fewer reclassifications.

Haven't heard anything official yet but the rumors of him becoming 2013 has been around since he committed. The Johnson situation will depend on who leaves after the season. As much as he loves SU, he's obviously going to want major minutes asap.

Francis, it was written shortly after DJ visited that he is the type of big man that launches any team into final four contention. If he wanted to come, we simply couldn't pass him up, could we. At the expense of bringing in anyone not named Wiggins, I think we have to protect a spot for him right? He's been compared to a more developed Andrew Bynum at this stage...