Update: Lots under Consideration--no definitive answers | Syracusefan.com

Update: Lots under Consideration--no definitive answers

arbitragegls

All Conference
What we must get through before moving on to replace Maryland is to understand what the ESPN media contract is worth now that Notre Dame is in the house for 2-3 games (ACC revenue) year...it will raise the average dollar figures from $17,000,000 to something around $18,000,000 to $19,500,000 per team in 14 team conference.
Now is where the fun starts once this is at least discussed and ready for closure:
1. Which team or teams add additional value to TV contract
--this is not that easy if what you want to do is add more than one team at this juncture-- if a combination of teams does not add sufficient value to make present teams whole (meaning no loss in expected revenue..the pie must grow after 14 teams in order to bring in more than 1 team which would be Maryland replacement and another team to go to 15 or even 16; otherwise only 1 team will be offered). By the way there is no rule to stop at 16 teams.
--so adding one team will not change present per team pay out which will increase when Notre Dame begins playing its 5 games a year (2-3 considered ACC revenue games)
2. ACC still has Notre Dame as a potential all in...maybe in this round or to get to 16 eventually
3. There are several teams being considered at at this point and each would accept a bid...at least they say so...more clarity by early next week
4. If you recall a previous thread I alluded to a potential network...it has been discussed by Swofford and I had provided that link...this is under consideration but would require ACC, Raycom, ESPN and probably NBC to agree on putting it all together--NBC if contract with Notre Dame unless ACC waits past the ending of the NBC Notre Dame contract
5. Is a GOR needed and would ACC get all teams to sign...under discussion--would provide more fuel for ESPN to provide even more $$$$$ (and if BE goes away...ESPN certainly wants a northern-east coast conference under its TV rights)

Discussions with ESPN, Notre Dame, several colleges, as well as teams in ACC are ongoing...progress is being made albeit slowly. I do not believe, as being told by source, that ESPN will let ACC go down hill...the B1G raid on Maryland and Rutgers is more about TV eyeballs and media strategy than near term teams helping the B1G on the field...this is why it has caught ACC and other conferences as well as ESPN somewhat off guard.

I realize this is not providing all that you want to know...but as I learn more I will provide. In the meantime, 'Cuse won this afternoon...now off to watch NCState beat another North Carolina team in bball...take care and hope all had a terrific T-G.

Discussions with ESPN, Notre Dame, several colleges, as well as teams in ACC are ongoing...progress is being made albeit slowly. I do not believe, as being told by source, that ESPN will let ACC go down hill...the B1G raid on Maryland and Rutgers is more about TV eyeballs and media strategy than near term teams helping the B1G on the field...this is why it has caught ACC and other conferences as well as ESPN somewhat off guard.

Thanks arbit!

With respect to the info in bold, any guesses on who the "several [other] colleges" are? That would be a clue on possible directions being considered. Texas?

thanks for the update. Any indication who the teams are other than the usual suspects?

As always thank you for your insight sir. There are a lot of rumors about additional raids on the ACC, what are you hearing? Thanks again!

Create an ACC Network and add a GOR.

Keep the number of teams where it is and get ND to commit to more games per year even if it needs to retain its apparent "independence."

The OP makes me feel better.

Was really down this week.

Create an ACC Network and add a GOR.

Keep the number of teams where it is and get ND to commit to more games per year even if it needs to retain its apparent "independence."

The OP makes me feel better.

Was really down this week.

He didn't tell us anything new. Just a summary of what's already out there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Exactly Bees I like OP, but his information isn't anything we don't know unless ESPN steps up support to the ACC in terms of $$$$ there will be more defections that is the short and sweet of it.

He didn't tell us anything new. Just a summary of what's already out there.

It sounds a bit more optimistic than previous accounts.

Were you at the Linc today?

Exactly Bees I like OP, but his information isn't anything we don't know unless ESPN steps up support to the ACC in terms of $$$$ there will be more defections that is the short and sweet of it.

All I was doing was responding to OPA cause he said he felt better now. :)

Curious to see what happens with the reworked TV contract. No reason the B12 should have more value than the ACC, even on a per team basis.

Get the $$$ to where everyone buys in, do a GOR, work on establishing an ACC network, then try to get ND to go all-in. Simple in theory, difficult to execute. We'll see just how good Swofford is.

All I was doing was responding to OPA cause he said he felt better now. :)

Thanks for bringing me down Bees.

Thanks for bringing me down Bees.
When I said OP I meant the original poster, and not you so I hope you didn't think I was taking a shot at you. I am glad you feel better. I believe we will end up in that 4th conference that is eventually formed, but the ACC isn't stable unless ESPN shows the conference the money.

Maybe you ought to do some research. He had the scoop on ND before it hit.

espn and notre dame can assure the acc stays intact as is or turns into an acc/bigeast mixture.All i know is hopefully this is sorted out within 10-14 days as espn/acc have been working on updating the contract since the notre dame move and im guessing part of holdup is the potential for acc network and espn being busy trying to lock up the new playoff in 2014

Maybe you ought to do some research. He had the scoop on ND before it hit.
I am not saying all his information isn't appreciated I am just saying this expansion stuff right now nobody knows what is going on. I bet he knows that the SEC has reached out to NC State, N. Carolina, Va. Tech, and Virginia considering he is an NC State employee based on his information. I appreciate the information, but this ACC expansion is all guess work and too optimistic and not more realistic. The ACC is very vulnerable right now and is not as rosy as he is making it out to be.

I am not saying all his information isn't appreciated I am just saying this expansion stuff right now nobody knows what is going on. I bet he knows that the SEC has reached out to NC State, N. Carolina, Va. Tech, and Virginia considering he is an NC State employee based on his information. I appreciate the information, but this ACC expansion is all guess work and too optimistic and not more realistic. The ACC is very vulnerable right now and is not as rosy as he is making it out to be.

i dont think the acc is as vulnerable as you make it seem since i seriously doubt florida state would go to big 12 for a slight difference in $$ but the acc isnt all tea and crimpets either

i dont think the acc is as vulnerable as you make it seem since i seriously doubt florida state would go to big 12 for a slight difference in $$ but the acc isnt all tea and crimpets either
Let's say the ACC schools make 19 million a year and that is optimistic, but let's say it and the Big XII makes 21 million a year without a championship game. JerryWorld and the TV rights for a Big XII championship would probably bring the Big XII another 50 million a year in revenue. 50/12 is 4.1 million and so the Big XII would be paying 25 million a year. That extra 6 million a year is enough to get FSU to move. Plus, having Texas and Oklahoma would allow them to lose 1 game in the regular season and still have a better chance for NC than the ACC right now.

Let's say the ACC schools make 19 million a year and that is optimistic, but let's say it and the Big XII makes 21 million a year without a championship game. JerryWorld and the TV rights for a Big XII championship would probably bring the Big XII another 50 million a year in revenue. 50/12 is 4.1 million and so the Big XII would be paying 25 million a year. That extra 6 million a year is enough to get FSU to move. Plus, having Texas and Oklahoma would allow them to lose 1 game in the regular season and still have a better chance for NC than the ACC right now.
Except it isn't an apple to apples $19 to $21m comparison. The real number is $24-25m. 8 minute mark
http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2012/05/post_97.html

When I said OP I meant the original poster, and not you so I hope you didn't think I was taking a shot at you. I am glad you feel better. I believe we will end up in that 4th conference that is eventually formed, but the ACC isn't stable unless ESPN shows the conference the money.

Understood.

I like the ACC - I want the conference to survive and flourish as it is now constituted.

If it is true that ESPN needs to step up, I hope Wofford makes it happen.

If it is true that ESPN needs to step up, I hope Wofford makes it happen.

I don't think getting another South Carolina school will make much of a difference, we already have Clemson.

edit: damn, Toga beat me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom