update statement by FSU President Barron | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

update statement by FSU President Barron

Depends who goes with them. If the B12 adds just two teams then you have a point. If they add 4 or even 6, then the travel argument goes right out the window. Lets be honest here the best thing for the sport of CFB is for the nuke option to happen to the ACC. Get down to 4 power conferences and let the champs battle it out for the national title.

Imagine Texas' ego if the Big 12 goes from near death to 16 team super conference in less than 1 year. Hard to imagine all parties working out a rev share agreement that everyone finds equitable.

Imagine Texas' ego if the Big 12 goes from near death to 16 team super conference in less than 1 year. Hard to imagine all parties working out a rev share agreement that everyone finds equitable.

Well, the B12 was only near death because Texas was looking to be the executioner. Any league with Texas is viable. The rev share piece is really what's important. Dollars look good, until one peels back the layers of allocation. Florida grows a lot of oranges, I suspect they're good at peeling.

While as a newcomer, it seems hypocritical to wave bon voyage to a conference flag bearer, FSU would be far easier to replace then say, UNC. Let them go and add Louisville, UCONN or Rutgers. Its practically a wash. This isnt 1996.

L'ville, UConn or Buttgers are not Florida State. Not even close.

OK the ACC is not going to add Louisville. That simplistic BE/West Virginia way of thinking doesn't go over well in real conferences.

But the rest of that premise seems legit. Florida State, with its 80,000 seat stadium, and longstanding tradition should be easily replaced by a nascent D1 program and RUTGERS.

That's simply not feasible. From an on-field standpoint, even w/o FSU and, say, Clemson, the ACC still has VaTech and Miami, along with brand-name institutions like UVA, UNC, Maryland, etc. You might have been able to freeze out the Big East, but you cannot freeze out those schools. From an off-field standpoint, closing the door to 4 conferences guaran-damn-tees Congressional involvement. The net of that will mean the NCAA being forced into administering a playoff, and then all the $$$ the BCS is meant to protect is now gone.

They pretty much are already going to the 4 conf champ model. As to finding a home for those schools it would be quite easy.

FSU, Miami, Clemson, Louisville to the B12 to get to 14
VT to the SEC to get to 15 leaving a post open
UNC, UVA, and Duke realizing the ACC is done go to the B1G
UNC is able to go because they know there is a spot in the SEC for NC St (now 16 teams)
ND then seeing the writing on the wall goes to the B1G (now 16 teams)
GA Tech and MD go to the B12 (now 16 teams)
ACC is down to SU, BC, Wake, and Pitt. Three of which are private schools so no governmental interference

B12
South- FSU, Miami, Clemson, GA Tech
East- WV, Louisville, MD, ISU
North- OU, Okie St, K St, KU
South- Texas, Tech, TCU, Baylor

SEC
N- Tenn, VT, UK, Vandy
S- Bama, Auburn, Miss, Miss St
E- Fla, GA, SC, NC St
W- LSU, Ark, A&M, Mizzou

B1G
N- Mich, Mich St, Illinois, NW
S- ND, Ohio St, UP, Ind
E- PSU, UVA, NC, Duke
W- Neb, Wisc, Iowa, Minn

ACC
BC, UConn, SU, RU, Pitt, Temple, ECU, Wake, UCF, USF

That would be awful for SU but it would be best IMO for the sport.

In addition what if the NCAA allows for a conference playoff if a conference is 18 teams. Currently they allow a CCG if you have two divisions of 6. Well what if they allowed a 3 team conf tourney if you have three divisions of 6? In that case you can add another 6 potential spots that need to be filled.

Something tells me Swofford isnt as big a fool as one would be led to believe. In the end i doubt that FSU leaves i suspect that the ESPN deal is modified and i believe that within two years you will see the ACC add ND and UConn as ND needs a strong conf for their teams and the only conf that makes sense for them to join is the ACC.

The stakes (meaning money) may be higher now, but conferences have been in a constant state of flux forever. Pre-2000?...

- Arkansas bolts its long history in the SWC to join the SEC (who needed a a school to get to 12 to have a conference championship game because the dolts at the NCAA applied a rule originally enacted for D-3)

- Amidst a torrential downpour of cheating and corruption the SWC implodes. The Big 8 merges with the 4 major Texas schools of the SWC, leaving the remaining 3 to die (also when the TX governor forced Baylor into that group of 4 because she was an alum).

- The Big Ten adds Penn State who leaves behind 80+ years of being an "eastern" oriented program for the money of the Midwest

- The Big East forms a football league, which means schools like SU are now playing Miami and VaTech regularly instead of long time series with Maryland and Navy

- The ACC loses South Carolina to the SEC, then years later adds Florida State, who abandons longtime series with Metro Conference schools

- In a rush towards creating the first mega-conference the WAC expands to 16, then promptly implodes and the top brand name program bolt to form the Mountain West

Etc.

That's just small sample of what went on all of 20 or so years prior to 2000.

People seemed super happy, right?

Not all of those moves were terrible. Miami and VTech > Navy and Maryland.

And I'm pretty sure Penn State's hand was forced.

Best thing that could happen is to end the charade. The NFL needs to form a minor league. Those who want to play football go to the minor league. Those that want to earn a college degree and play football do to a college. Glad I'm a Patriot League fan. Will help sooth the pain when Syracuse gets screwed over with this jumping around by the football factories.

Agree. That will happen when the top 32 teams break away. They will say, we are not a part of the NCAA, we are doing our own thing, are going to pay our own players, and are going to get our own tv deal and playoffs.

What we will have is a MLB style setup...

1. MLB = the 32 break away schools
2. AAA = Existing BCS conf level schools excluded from break away schools
3. AA = MAC, A10, BE teams

Why 32?

Best thing that could happen is to end the charade. The NFL needs to form a minor league. Those who want to play football go to the minor league. Those that want to earn a college degree and play football do to a college. Glad I'm a Patriot League fan. Will help sooth the pain when Syracuse gets screwed over with this jumping around by the football factories.

I agree with you. Minor leagues for NFL and NBA are a much better option than paying players who do not want to be in college.

Depends who goes with them. If the B12 adds just two teams then you have a point. If they add 4 or even 6, then the travel argument goes right out the window. Lets be honest here the best thing for the sport of CFB is for the nuke option to happen to the ACC. Get down to 4 power conferences and let the champs battle it out for the national title.

Why? ACC=East
B10 = North
SEC = South
Pac12 = West.

If anything, the B12 should be cannibalized to make those geographic leagues work.

Why? ACC=East
B10 = North
SEC = South
Pac12 = West.

If anything, the B12 should be cannibalized to make those geographic leagues work.

Agreed. For those that think 4 16-team leagues was the answer, the above scenario would be how they imagined it would play out. Unfortunately, things don't always go the way people think.

Cheers,
Neil

Why? ACC=East
B10 = North
SEC = South
Pac12 = West.

That would be great but the ACC TV $ is so crappy it won't happen that way. Also that shipped sailed when the P12 wouldn't concede the LHN. Which could end up being a big mistake for the P12 as they are stuck at 12 teams without Texas. You could fit 4 of 16 easier by breaking up the B12.

P12 gets Texas, Tech, OU, and Okie St
SEC gets Baylor and WV
B1G get ND, KU, ISU, and RU
ACC gets UConn and one of Louisville/Temple
Left out TCU and K St

They pretty much are already going to the 4 conf champ model. As to finding a home for those schools it would be quite easy.

FSU, Miami, Clemson, Louisville to the B12 to get to 14
VT to the SEC to get to 15 leaving a post open
UNC, UVA, and Duke realizing the ACC is done go to the B1G
UNC is able to go because they know there is a spot in the SEC for NC St (now 16 teams)
ND then seeing the writing on the wall goes to the B1G (now 16 teams)
GA Tech and MD go to the B12 (now 16 teams)
ACC is down to SU, BC, Wake, and Pitt. Three of which are private schools so no governmental interference

B12
South- FSU, Miami, Clemson, GA Tech
East- WV, Louisville, MD, ISU
North- OU, Okie St, K St, KU
South- Texas, Tech, TCU, Baylor

SEC
N- Tenn, VT, UK, Vandy
S- Bama, Auburn, Miss, Miss St
E- Fla, GA, SC, NC St
W- LSU, Ark, A&M, Mizzou

B1G
N- Mich, Mich St, Illinois, NW
S- ND, Ohio St, UP, Ind
E- PSU, UVA, NC, Duke
W- Neb, Wisc, Iowa, Minn

ACC
BC, UConn, SU, RU, Pitt, Temple, ECU, Wake, UCF, USF

That would be awful for SU but it would be best IMO for the sport.

In addition what if the NCAA allows for a conference playoff if a conference is 18 teams. Currently they allow a CCG if you have two divisions of 6. Well what if they allowed a 3 team conf tourney if you have three divisions of 6? In that case you can add another 6 potential spots that need to be filled.

LOL. OK, that seems easy.

Oy.

Not all of those moves were terrible. Miami and VTech > Navy and Maryland.

And I'm pretty sure Penn State's hand was forced.

I didn't say they were terrible, I just was chucking at the notion that prior to 2000 everyone was "happy". Conferences have been changing, constantly, forever.

Yep your right.

BTW. I think it's funny that everyone is declaring the ACC dead beacuse of the statement from FSU's pres. If he did not issue a statement, everyone would wonder why he was so silent on the issue...and everyone would declare the ACC dead.
The interenet is awesome :noidea:

FTR I couldn't care less if FSU leaves. We'll just invite UMASS and Furman and we'll be set.

OK the ACC is not going to add Louisville. That simplistic BE/West Virginia way of thinking doesn't go over well in real conferences.

But the rest of that premise seems legit. Florida State, with its 80,000 seat stadium, and longstanding tradition should be easily replaced by a nascent D1 program and RUTGERS.

I appreciate your little jab, but what you are saying only makes sense if you believe that football is what is driving expansion. The SEC, Big 12 and Big 10 all believe that.

But football clearly is not driving expansion in the ACC. If it did, the conference would have made sure to take care of FSU and those schools with football as its primary interest/contribution, especially with other conferences sniffing around.

I think yours and ALL4's absolute opinion on Louisville is way overstated. Louisville may be an academic light weight, but it has the best athletics department of any school yet to land in one of the "major" football conferences, expands the acc's geographic footprint, and has a preeminent basketball program, which seems to be more important to the ACC brass than pigskin success.

I appreciate your little jab, but what you are saying only makes sense if you believe that football is what is driving expansion. The SEC, Big 12 and Big 10 all believe that.

But football clearly is not driving expansion in the ACC. If it did, the conference would have made sure to take care of FSU and those schools with football as its primary interest/contribution, especially with other conferences sniffing around.

I think yours and ALL4's absolute opinion on Louisville is way overstated. Louisville may be an academic light weight, but it has the best athletics department of any school yet to land in one of the "major" football conferences, expands the acc's geographic footprint, and has a preeminent basketball program, which seems to be more important to the ACC brass than pigskin success.

Regardless of what the ACC's motives are, trading Florida State for Uconn or Rutgers or Louisville isn't a wash. And it's not close.

Jimbo fisher in favor of the move if it's in the best interest of the school...

If it is in the best interest of the school, eh???

Just goes to show what a little weasel Jimbo actually is. If he had half the brains God should have given him he'd have kept his mouth shut.

I think yours and ALL4's absolute opinion on Louisville is way overstated.

I'm not really sure which opinion of mine you are referring to, but if it's that L'Ville is not the national brand that FSU is, then I stand by it. There is a reason why FSU is potentially being courted, and L'Ville is still on the outside looking in. They have been a decent football team. But they have never been a great football team. FSU is an established national program with modern era national titles, and national recognition. L'Ville is out step out of Conference USA.