Updated NY rankings | Syracusefan.com

Updated NY rankings

PhatOrange

Living Legend
Some head shakers. Considering nobody follows NY prospects as closely as some of the people on this board it’s easy to pick apart the list but clearly they don’t do any homework – and that’s fine but just don’t proclaim yourself to be a experts at recruiting and ranking high school prospects then.

1) DE - Ebenezer Ogundeko (OPEN)
2) TE – Josh McNeil ***(What?) (OPEN)
3) QB - Chris Laviano (RUTGERS)
4) RB - Augustus Edwards (SYRACUSE)
5) OL - Tommy Hopkins (UCONN)
6) OL - Alexander Officer (PITT)
7) TE - Cameron Stapleton (UCONN)
8) RB – Laray Smith (OPEN)
9) WR – Malique Belfort (OPEN)
10) LB – Ousmane Camara (STONY BROOK)

Some thoughts:

#2 McNeil is a Milford Prep kid who’s from North Carolina. How does rivals put this kid in the NY high school rankings? Stupid and probably a goof – I’ve never seen this done before.

There’s only one non-D1A kid on the list (which is a good thing) but to leave off Tyler Rouse the NYS HS Gatorade Player of the year I think is an injustice. He’s without a doubt a top NYS player and doing it in AA ball. This shows the lack of analysis of rivals ratings certain states.

Laviano ahead of Edwards at # 3 is funny.

They are reporting Malique Belfort to have offers from / Boise St, Boston College, Cincy, Hawaii, Maryland, Michigan St, North Carolina, Penn St, Pittsburgh, Temple, Tennessee, Utah and Virginia. – Say what?

IMHO – Edwards is no less the #2 player in NY and I think a case could be made for #1.

This might be my Syracuse homerism, and I know Rivals doesn’t have the numbers from his camp in Buffalo, but when you watch Deven Carter’s film you can see he’s a big time talent. What jumps out at me is how big he is and how he moves for his size. I don’t see how you can watch his film and not think he’s a top 10 player in NY – especially when compared to the rest of the kids on the list.

2011 Highlights:

I don't get the Laviano rankings, but haven't really followed him at all. Is this kid really that good to be top 4 in NYS?

What a crock. Camara over a guy going D1 in Carter is stupid. Laviano over Edwards? Stupid. Smith down to eight? I think you know what I think about that. At least they got Ebo's rating right.

It is a crime that they left off Carter. How could anyone place a guy who committed to Stony Brook over a guy who committed to BCS level D-1 school???

Also, look at LaRay's offers. He should be top 5.

It's a lazy list. There isn't much change there from the preseason ranking.

Laviano being ranked #3 with no other D1 offers is the gift that keeps on giving... Absolutely ludicrous and hilarious.

This is why stars system and these rankings mean jackshit. I trust the staff's evaluations a little more.

Some head shakers. Considering nobody follows NY prospects as closely as some of the people on this board it’s easy to pick apart the list but clearly they don’t do any homework – and that’s fine but just don’t proclaim yourself to be a experts at recruiting and ranking high school prospects then.

1) DE - Ebenezer Ogundeko (OPEN)
2) TE – Josh McNeil ***(What?) (OPEN)
3) QB - Chris Laviano (RUTGERS)
4) RB - Augustus Edwards (SYRACUSE)
5) OL - Tommy Hopkins (UCONN)
6) OL - Alexander Officer (PITT)
7) TE - Cameron Stapleton (UCONN)
8) RB – Laray Smith (OPEN)
9) WR – Malique Belfort (OPEN)
10) LB – Ousmane Camara (STONY BROOK)

Some thoughts:

#2 McNeil is a Milford Prep kid who’s from North Carolina. How does rivals put this kid in the NY high school rankings? Stupid and probably a goof – I’ve never seen this done before.

There’s only one non-D1A kid on the list (which is a good thing) but to leave off Tyler Rouse the NYS HS Gatorade Player of the year I think is an injustice. He’s without a doubt a top NYS player and doing it in AA ball. This shows the lack of analysis of rivals ratings certain states.

They are reporting Malique Belfort to have offers from / Boise St, Boston College, Cincy, Hawaii, Maryland, Michigan St, North Carolina, Penn St, Pittsburgh, Temple, Tennessee, Utah and Virginia. – Say what?

IMHO – Edwards is no less the #2 player in NY and I think a case could be made for #1.

This might be my Syracuse homerism, and I know Rivals doesn’t have the numbers from his camp in Buffalo, but when you watch Deven Carter’s film you can see he’s a big time talent. What jumps out at me is how big he is and how he moves for his size. I don’t see how you can watch his film and not think he’s a top 10 player in NY – especially when compared to the rest of the kids on the list.

2011 Highlights:

Rouse looks better to me, FWIW.

Than Carter? Who's coming in as a linebacker. Or Gus or Laray (assuming we get him)?
Carter. Rouse looks stronger and faster. Have watched him a bit on local tv this year ( hometown kid). I know there have been discussions about too much use, but the kid never really got hit hard, that I saw.

Carter. Rouse looks stronger and faster. Have watched him a bit on local tv this year ( hometown kid). I know there have been discussions about too much use, but the kid never really got hit hard, that I saw.
he has been in hockey

Id hope Rouse looks better as a running back because thats what he is. Devan Carter is coming to Syracuse to play linebacker and is 6-2 215.

1)DE - Ebenezer Ogundeko (OPEN)
2)TE – Josh McNeil ***(What?) (OPEN)
3)QB - Chris Laviano (RUTGERS)
4)RB - Augustus Edwards (SYRACUSE)
5)OL - Tommy Hopkins (UCONN)
6)OL - Alexander Officer (PITT)
7)TE - Cameron Stapleton (UCONN)
8)RB – Laray Smith (OPEN)
9)WR – Malique Belfort (OPEN)
10)LB – Ousmane Camara (STONY BROOK)

Some thoughts:

2011 Highlights:

I agree with a lot of what you say Phat. Here is my last rating for the 2012 class:

Ebenezer Ogundeko DE
Augustus Edwards RB Syracuse
Laray Smith RB
Devan Carter LB Syracuse
Malique Belfort WR
Tommy Hopkins OT UConn
Nicodemus Gambil RB
Alex Officer OG Pittsburgh
Folorunso Fatukasi DT UConn
Cameron Stapleton TE UConn
James Coleman LB Buffalo
Travon Reid DB
Jordan Fuchs WR
Nick Sorrenti FB
Chris Laviano QB Rutgers
Ousmane Camera LB Stony Brook

This has nothing to do with who the best HS players were in the class. This is about projecting the best prospects at the college level. That is why Tyler Rouse is not on the list.

The top 3 should be evident to anyone who looks at offers. Like Phat, I love Carter's tape. He is a great athlete who is going to be a star LB at Syracuse.

Belfort is a terrific WR who had a great year. His problem is his grades. If he were a good student, he would be on everyone's radar.

Gambil is another freak athlete; a big guy who can really run. No doubt in my mind he is a BCS athlete.

Reid has an offer from SU and a couple of others too.

Fuchs has an offer from UConn and a couple of others.

Sorrenti is a fine football player who is good enough to start at FB or LB for a BCS team. Had a monster year leading his team to a state championship. Doesn't have the speed SU is looking for at LB but he can play LB for many teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom