US Olympic team chosen... | Syracusefan.com

US Olympic team chosen...

Lot of pressure on Chandler. This could be Hersey Hawkins redux. I would have taken Davis.

Who would Davis have snagged a spot ahead of? I hope you're not suggesting Chandler, who just won Defensive Player of the Year, is an exceptional teammate, and, by the way, is still only 29 (even though he seems much older).

Chandler absolutely deserves and needs to be on this team. I actually prefer him to Howard in this setting. You cannot expect to win with a team full of alpha dogs, you need role players, and that's what guys like Chandler and Love will bring to the table. Too many stars equals bad chemistry.

Who would Davis have snagged a spot ahead of? I hope you're not suggesting Chandler, who just won Defensive Player of the Year, is an exceptional teammate, and, by the way, is still only 29 (even though he seems much older).

Chandler absolutely deserves and needs to be on this team. I actually prefer him to Howard in this setting. You cannot expect to win with a team full of alpha dogs, you need role players, and that's what guys like Chandler and Love will bring to the table. Too many stars equals bad chemistry.

Tell that to the Dream Team

Within that team, guys played roles. Bird would've killed anyone who didn't.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

igoudala seems like the easy choice.

chandler's spot was set in stone long ago.

Nobody suggested Chandler shouldn't be on it. I mentioned that his selection as the sole center on the roster has the potential to be a Hersey Hawkins 1988 situation, should Chandler go down for some reason. While Davis may not be a true "5", he's a lot closer than the others. The Olympics will likely boil down to how we stack up against the Gasols and Ibaka.

Nobody suggested Chandler shouldn't be on it. I mentioned that his selection as the sole center on the roster has the potential to be a Hersey Hawkins 1988 situation, should Chandler go down for some reason. While Davis may not be a true "5", he's a lot closer than the others. The Olympics will likely boil down to how we stack up against the Gasols and Ibaka.
Im a little worried about Melo's game and getting ready for next season when the Olympic team is saying he will put in time at Center.

A) He lost 12 lbs so hes not a big as he was last year.
B) I want him to figure out how to play with Amare and Chandler, and playing PF and C all summer isnt going to do it.
C) I dont want to see him get injured because hes guarding Marc Gasol all game.

Davis is 222 lbs. Spain (the only country that can beat us) has Mark and Pau Gasol plus Serge Ibaka ( Yes the Congo is in Spain when it comes to basketball at least). Maybe he can guard Ibaka ...maybe the other two he is not ready for.

Im a little worried about Melo's game and getting ready for next season when the Olympic team is saying he will put in time at Center.

A) He lost 12 lbs so hes not a big as he was last year.
B) I want him to figure out how to play with Amare and Chandler, and playing PF and C all summer isnt going to do it.
C) I dont want to see him get injured because hes guarding Marc Gasol all game.

A - Melo is still not a little guy.
B- He will be playing with Chandler, 3-4 weeks is not going to hurt his development. He won't play that much 5 but offensively it would not be a bad thing for the team. He's going to playing with the best players in the world so he will again learn to share.
C- He won't be covering M Gasol all game.

You're acting like they said he's going to be the primary C. They simply said that Melo along with Lebron and Iggy could play C if need be.

A - Melo is still not a little guy.
B- He will be playing with Chandler, 3-4 weeks is not going to hurt his development. He won't play that much 5 but offensively it would not be a bad thing for the team. He's going to playing with the best players in the world so he will again learn to share.
C- He won't be covering M Gasol all game.

You're acting like they said he's going to be the primary C. They simply said that Melo along with Lebron and Iggy could play C if need be.
The only Center is Chandler. Melo/LBJ/Iggy are the only other players with the body build to play 4/5 so Melo will most likely be playing PF/C most of the Olympics.

Im fairly certain Spain will play Pau and Marc most of the game so Melo will have to guard one of them when Chander or LBJ arent.

Melo is a little guy compared to 7' Pau and built like a bear Marc Gasol.

The only Center is Chandler. Melo/LBJ/Iggy are the only other players with the body build to play 4/5 so Melo will most likely be playing PF/C most of the Olympics.

You forgot Love and Griffin. Both guys are more interior players than Melo.

I really doubt Melo will play any minutes at the 5 against Spain.

Agreed! I am more concerned about our outside shooting from the guard positions. None of those guys are knock down shooters.

True, I dont see them playing as many minutes as the main guys but they definately would be better suited to bang with PF's and Centers.

Say what you want about coach K but he will make sure they play as one cohesive unit.

True, I dont see them playing as many minutes as the main guys but they definately would be better suited to bang with PF's and Centers.

I wonder how the minutes get divided up. I bet Love gets a lot of minutes; wouldn't be surprised if he gets more than Melo. Melo is going to be behind Durant and Lebron, and I could see Chandler getting in some foul trouble.

Will be interesting to see how the rotation shakes out.

I see Love getting all of his mins at the 5 with the 4 and 3 heavily loaded with KD, LBJ, Melo, Griffin.

There are obviously differences, though. Bird and Magic were past their primes, and guys like Pippen and Stockton were already used to being second bananas. Mullin had a clearly defined role, and let's not even mention a guy like Laettner. The other big difference was that the international game was nowhere near what it is today, and most of those teams were so in awe of our superstars that we could have trotted out just about any NBA players and still blown everyone away.

The international game is very good now, and so many international players play in the NBA now that there's no awe. The international game is more team driven than the NBA, which is why I like having good players who have defined roles to support a few superstars, rather than a dozen superstars who all want to be alpha dogs and need the ball.

The other big difference was that the international game was nowhere near what it is today, and most of those teams were so in awe of our superstars that we could have trotted out just about any NBA players and still blown everyone away.

Yeah, this is the key to me. Those teams in 92 were overmatched, they weren't going to win no matter what.

I see Love getting all of his mins at the 5 with the 4 and 3 heavily loaded with KD, LBJ, Melo, Griffin.
Love may get his minutes as the "5" but I think he may be the best 3 pt shooter and most "European" type player on the team and open up the middle for our slashers. Not a great 3 pt shooting team but Love, Durant, Paul, Harden, Lebron, and Iguadola are all over 36%.

Love may get his minutes as the "5" but I think he may be the best 3 pt shooter and most "European" type player on the team and open up the middle for our slashers. Not a great 3 pt shooting team but Love, Durant, Paul, Harden, Lebron, and Iguadola are all over 36%.

Love will be a killer trailing the break and for the step in 3. He also throws the best out let pass in the NBA. This team should play very fast and will be fun to watch. Teams will zone them to death trying to slow the game down and Spain will be very long will have a lot of shooters so we can't miss shots! Its one and done in the metal rounds.

How could they take Harden!?!?! Cavs fans told me that 6th men are all terrible players.