Us: some unpopular thoughts. | Syracusefan.com

Us: some unpopular thoughts.

Zelda Zonk

2022 Iggy Winner: ACC Tourney Record
Okay, so, six losses.

• Each loss has been to a team with inferior personnel.
• In our 22 wins, we have not defeated a team with equal or superior talent. Louisville is borderline, but player-f0r-player, before the season started, i would certainly rather have our guys than theirs. We can say that, because we have talent, we don't often come up against 'better' teams. But, when was the last time we actually upset someone/beat a clearly better team? I can't remember that occasion. That says something, to me, about coaching. On the other hand, it's a credit to our recruiting, but, then you've gotta switch back to the other hand...
• It's easy as to say that 'guys aren't hitting shots,' but if you're giving JB credit for 900 wins, you've got to suggest that he's got to put people in the right mindset and position to do well what they're capable of, and to prepare them to compete. Other teams are just out-hustling us. Out-toughing us. And beating us at our own game.
• We're seeing blatant regression, not development. It was fun (for some) to watch us feast on early season chum, but maybe we could have learned these lessons sooner, and had more time to re-evaluate and develop in advance of the tournaments.
• How much of this has to do with the fact that we, traditionally, have such a limited offensive playbook? How difficult is it to scout us? We're seeing that BE teams 'have our book' and the more frustrated we get with our inefficiency and ineptitude, the more our shortcomings come to light and are exacerbated.
• What was up with Triche tonight? So far off on so many jumpers. Did he hurt his hand in the previous game?
• Hire Coleman or Warrick to coach the bigs. Immediately, if not sooner. Someone. Anyone.
• I love James. I'm kinda sick of the James-off-the-bench trick. It's not working. Just because we do win a game doesn't mean that strategy is working. Maybe it was cute with Dion, but Dion put himself in the situation where JB didn't want to start him. And we had the luxury of a super-deep team. That doesn't apply this year. Put your best five out there and let them build chemistry, timing, and confidence. It's not as if we have an overabundance of scoring options out there.
• CJ is clearly our best player, and yet it never seems as if he's our #1 option. He's a 'quiet player,' but maybe he out to be featured more. He's a 'go-to-guy' who only seems 'gone-to' in an incidental sense. Treat him like our star.
• MCW just isn't learning. That jump-to-pass thing... Here's a riddle: How many weeks does it take a Hall of Fame coach to rid him of that tendency? You've got JB, Red, Hop, and GMac — all guards, and MCW is still trying to make a play that would get you benched in a CYO league.
• What are we? 4 and 5 in our last 9 games? Just not acceptable, considering who we have, versus who we've been playing.
• Vindicating Gottleib turns my stomach.

Okay, so, six losses.

• Each loss has been to a team with inferior personnel.
• In our 22 wins, we have not defeated a team with equal or superior talent. Louisville is borderline, but player-f0r-player, before the season started, i would certainly rather have our guys than theirs. We can say that, because we have talent, we don't often come up against 'better' teams. But, when was the last time we actually upset someone/beat a clearly better team? I can't remember that occasion. That says something, to me, about coaching. On the other hand, it's a credit to our recruiting, but, then you've gotta switch back to the other hand...
• It's easy as to say that 'guys aren't hitting shots,' but if you're giving JB credit for 900 wins, you've got to suggest that he's got to put people in the right mindset and position to do well what they're capable of, and to prepare them to compete. Other teams are just out-hustling us. Out-toughing us. And beating us at our own game.
• We're seeing blatant regression, not development. It was fun (for some) to watch us feast on early season chum, but maybe we could have learned these lessons sooner, and had more time to re-evaluate and develop in advance of the tournaments.
• How much of this has to do with the fact that we, traditionally, have such a limited offensive playbook? How difficult is it to us? We're seeing that BE teams 'have our book' and the more frustrated we get with our inefficiency and ineptitude, the more our shortcomings come to light and are exacerbated.
• What was up with Triche tonight? So far off on so many jumpers. Did he hurt his hand in the previous game?
• Hire Coleman or Warrick to coach the bigs. Immediately, if not sooner. Someone. Anyone.
• I love James. I'm kinda sick of the James-off-the-bench trick. It's not working. Just because we do win a game doesn't mean that strategy is working. Maybe it was cute with Dion, but Dion put himself in the situation where JB didn't want to start him. And we had the luxury of a super-deep team. That doesn't apply this year. Put your best five out there and let them build chemistry, timing, and confidence. It's not as if we have an overabundance of scoring options out there.
• CJ is clearly our best player, and yet it never seems as if he's our #1 option. He's a 'quiet player,' but maybe he out to be featured more. He's a 'go-to-guy' who only seems 'gone-to' in an incidental sense. Treat him like our star.
• MCW just isn't learning. That jump-to-pass thing... Here's a riddle: How many weeks does it take a Hall of Fame coach to rid him of that tendency? You've got JB, Red, Hop, and GMac — all guards, and MCW is still trying to make a play that would get you benched in a CYO league.
• What are we? 4 and 5 in our last 9 games? Just not acceptable, considering who we have, versus who we've been playing.
• Vindicating Gottleib turns my stomach.

Well thought out post. Our guards are maddening late in the games recently-- MCW leaving his feet, Triche stumbling losing the ball, both jacking threes. It's very odd. And JB doesn't seem to mind it as much as we all do for some reason.

You pretty much nailed it. SU fans are frustrated the next year syndrome is really getting old

Great post.

- MCW is jumping then doing a 180 and passing back. Unacceptable.
- Totally agree on getting a bigs coach. Warrick would be sweet in due time.
- We are what we are. The personnel and skillsets are flawed a bit and we aren't going to miraculously start shooting better.
- This is why we will need to hustle like crazy on plays moving forward to win games moving forward. Hustle for loose balls. Rebound like your life depends on it. Show some alertness.

I remember Bilas saying early in the second half, "Syracuse's zone isn't as active as it was in the first half."

Each loss has been to a team with inferior personnel? Not sure about that. Georgetown with Porter alone is better. We might have better names/personnel but these teams we are losing to recently I think are better.

I've been screaming for a big man coach. And I keep getting dissed. It's a must this off-season.

I find it funny that so many are calling for a big man coach (which I agree with) yet I haven't seen one post about GMac's inability to get the guards to take a decent shot and actually make them. At what point is he going to get questioned.

We have better talent than Marquette and most of the teams that have beaten us. Porter just happens to be the best player in the league. Marquette is just a better team that out worked us.

Our offense this year has been way to stagnant. To many players standing around, not moving without the ball. There is only one person dominating the ball at the top of the key consistently. Even the ball movement is way to slow side to side. Its not doing anything.

I find it funny that so many are calling for a big man coach (which I agree with) yet I haven't seen one post about GMac's inability to get the guards to take a decent shot and actually make them. At what point is he going to get questioned.
Move GMac to Tim O'Toole's current position (sorry Tim) and hire a big man coach who preferably has NO Syracuse ties. We need fresh opinions on the bench.

Each loss has been to a team with inferior personnel? Not sure about that. Georgetown with Porter alone is better. We might have better names/personnel but these teams we are losing to recently I think are better.

I don't doubt, for a moment, that Georgetown isn't a better team than we are at the moment. What i'm trying to assert is that we still have better talent. If you gave both squads to the same coach at the beginning of 'training camp' and they could somehow play each other, our personnel would beat theirs. What i'm really saying is that the teams that have beaten us this year have done so by virtue of coaching that has better prepared its teams. Beginning with Fran Dunphy, all the way through Buzz.

You've got to allow for some upsets during a year, but i don't think our play has been commensurate with our talent.

I'm beginning to think that all of us have overrated the talent on this team. I'm not sure anyone on this team is close to an elite basketball talent, with the exception of CJ (maybe next year).

I don't think any single player, except Fair, on this team has developed their game in any significant way since they were freshmen. I will say that Fair and Keita have lived up to most expectations. TC and Coleman have both under performed based on fan expectations.

JS has gotten better, but not a massive jump. Christmas seems to have disappointed just about everybody. Triche showed a lot of promise coming out of high school. He's shown flashes, but he's been way too inconsistent.

MCW seems to have a lot of potential, and it really is still too early to judge what he'll eventually do with it, but so far he hasn't been the answer that a lot had hoped he'd be.

The lack of player development could possibly be blamed on the coaches. JB and company have helped develop some great college basketball players, Warrick, Seikaly, Etan...lots of examples. I think it's mainly a case of players not being as good as some of us thought... including JB.

Game coaching is a different question. I'm not really qualified to judge JB's coaching. As a fan he does make me wonder at times.

I remember Bilas saying early in the second half, "Syracuse's zone isn't as active as it was in the first half."
Hard to be active when you're gasping for breath. Number of players with double digit minutes played---Marquette 8, SU 6.

The thing that is so frustrating is that we continuously have top 10 classes but it seems as if a lot of the times we struggle to develop that talent. Jimmy B is not a tactician, he doesn't have many offensive sets. He lets the kids play, but as we see this year it is really hurting the team. I will probably be yelled at and cursed because I'm questioning Jimmy B (I really do love him, even though we have underachieved in a lot of tournaments). With that said, I would love to see Brad Stevens or Mark Few with a roster or recruiting class like ours. They maximize their teams talent. The last couple of years we have really struggled if we are not getting out into transition. Its like we dont have a plan if a team goes zone or plays tough physical defense.

Hard to be active when you're gasping for breath. Number of players with double digit minutes played---Marquette 8, SU 6.

His comment came very early in the second half. It was more lack of effort.

These teams don't have inferior talent. SU's talent is, unfortunately, overrated. Guys can do certain things, but have glaring weaknesses, which the opposition has no problem exposing (shooting, ball handling, interior play). We have some tall, athletic players that tantalize with the occasional highlight reel play, yet struggle so mightily with such important aspects of the game like jump shooting and being strong with the ball. The teams we've lost to take advantage of our weaknesses and have enough talent to overcome. They aren't inferior in terms of talent...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom