USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

It is going to be interesting to see what role that clause in the GOR specifically for ND football plays in what ND does for the next 14 years.

I think Terry and nd1973 should take it more seriously.

Question for lawyers:

How does standard law work when it comes to a party clearly violating a contract like the ND fan boys are saying the Irish are going to do?

Isn't the penalty related to the damages breaking the contract will cause to the other party?

If the ACC schools are getting $40 million per a year now and if ND joined, it was determined the ACC payout would increase to $70 million, are the damages then

$30*14 (number of schools in the ACC affected) * 13 (number of years of revenue that would be affected?

That number is just under $5.5 billion. Is that what ND would be on the hook for? What does the law say?
Damages are going to be determined by the contract. Without reading the article or the agreement my guess is whatever the arrangement is with ND there will be an exclusion of speculative, indirect, and consequential damages. Profit isn’t an issue.

most likely any program is free to leave with payment of a fixed amount to terminate their association with the conference. That is essentially a form of liquidated damages and the conference and remaining members have no further claims.

Damages are going to be determined by the contract. Without reading the article or the agreement my guess is whatever the arrangement is with ND there will be an exclusion of speculative, indirect, and consequential damages. Profit isn’t an issue.

most likely any program is free to leave with payment of a fixed amount to terminate their association with the conference. That is essentially a form of liquidated damages and the conference and remaining members have no further claims.
Thanks Go. Not the answer I was hoping for.

I guess we will see how it plays out and hope the ACC legal experts made this clause something worthwhile.

All those ACC football games ND has played since this GOR thing started and the game this year might be the only one ND will play in the dome.

Sigh.

Heather Dinich @CFBHeather A source told me that if Notre Dame were to withdraw from the ACC, it can play football wherever it wants. It would have to pay exit fee and grant of rights fees for its other sports.
Yes, that was posted a few hours ago. This is in direct conflict with what many published reports says in actually in the GOR.

I guess we will see how well written the ACC GOR was very soon.

If 2x32 is in fact it…. No person here can convince me that we’re #65 or >.

I feel like we would beat out Wake, Oregon State, Wazzu, Kansas State and West Virginia. So we likely would have a spot if it is 2 x 32.

I may just stop watching football and basketball if this all goes down. The NFL and NBA should be concerned. What's to stop the SEC and BIG from just making their leagues full-on professional and keeping guys for their whole playing careers?
If I'm those leagues, I start taking the physically ready kids right after high school.

NFL and NBA can always pay players more than any college could. These colleges aren't taking on full time employees that can compete with what an NBA and NFL superstar gets paid. That just isn't happening.

I know this may be unpopular, but honestly, I kinda hope (and I probably don't have to hope cause it's just reality) that Syracuse doesn't go to the Big 10 or SEC.

I would rather see Syracuse be a strong team with the "LEFTOVERS" (my new term to describe the non-SEC and non-Big 10 teams) then be a last-place team in the SEC/Big10.

Winning a conference championship vs regional teams will be interesting to follow. It will be like rooting for your old high school team after you graduate. I would rather be in that situation than get blown out each week in one of these mega conferences and always finish in last place. That will get old real fast and won't be worth following.

And for basketball, hey I saw them win a Championship in 2003 and I will just have to cherish that memory and understand the world of college athletics changed and it is what it is.

I think SU could carve out a decent existence in an expanded BIG 10. If that doesn’t happen I think some version of a regional league is the next best thing. Playing Pitt, BC, UConn, WVU, Temple, etc. works for me.

I think we should search for a situation where we belong based on what we are, not a way to get at the big money in exchange for being a bottom feeder in a league full of Clemsons.

I also like the idea of decoupling the other sports from football by letting each sport determine what conference they are in. Each sport should gravitate toward their natural rivals and schools in a similar situation to theirs. Why should UCLA volleyball or SU lacrosse have to play Big ten teams if their natural rivals are elsewhere. Football is morphing into something beyond college sports. Why should the still legitimate college sports be dragged along wherever they go?

And let's remove football from Title IX since there's no women's version of it and it's being done purely for profit, not as a service to the students.

There has been speculation by many that Oregon and Washington "are next". But as state schools will the the OR and WA state legislatures/politicians allow Oregon State and Washington State to left without a real conference committment (assuming PAC-12 will be done)? Remember that Syracuse was left out of the first ACC expansion because the State of Virginia politicians would not agree to ACC expansion without VA Tech. Maybe Utah and Colorado are mostly likely "next" to the B10 than OR and WA for that reason.

VT got lucky. If UNC and/or Duke had approved expansion then it would have gone forward with Syracuse, BC, Miami.

State legislatures aren't going to stand in the way of Oregon/Washington.

The conference died in the 90s. It cannot come back. I see no appeal to playing Marquette, DePaul, Creighton, Butler, Xavier. Now if we could get SU, BC, Pitt, UConn, Nova, St Johns, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Providence, West Virginia then sure.

Arturas Karnisovas is not walking through that door.

I'm hoping for ND to take us with them as part of their package deal with whoever else they want to the B10 or SEC, I know, its like a 10% chance. Or, for the ACC to ask ND to pick the teams they want to joint the ACC. Army, Navy, the United States School of the Deaf and the Blind, whoever and take what we want from the B12 to round it out. Also a long shot.
Don’t hold your breath. ND wouldn’t piss on our gums if our teeth were on fire.

Yes, that was posted a few hours ago. This is in direct conflict with what many published reports says in actually in the GOR.

I guess we will see how well written the ACC GOR was very soon.
whatever the best case scenario for the ACC is...throw that out.

whatver the worst case scenario is for the ACC...consider that the bullseye and then we will see how close the arrow landed.

Yup. Very soon, I think I’ll have about as much interest as I do in AAA baseball. Hope the local team wins, but have zero passion for it.

There's always the past...

1656696665081.png

If Cincy and UCF can get out of the B12 without a big penalty, and WV can leave when the TV contract is up, I think the ACC should add all 3 schools now.

That would be a blow for the B12 who is a competitor with the ACC as the #3 conference. It keeps the B12 West of the Mississippi River. The TV eyeballs are in the East so you hurt the B12 and strengthen the ACC.

Going to 17 teams now is a bit of a PIA but it will be worth it when ACC schools eventually leave. It protects whomever is left behind, and actually keeps the geographic footprint. Heck I would even tell schools they can leave a few years earlier if they vote to expand now. Make it worth everyone's while.

I can’t see BC and SU being left out. We’d be viewed as no-threat punching bags that bring NY and Boston eyes (in theory). We also bring hoops and lax, while BC brings point shaving and shame. Give us a 75% share.

Last edited:
I think BC and Pitt are more valuable than SU based on their television markets. Everything is eyeballs and Boston College can provide the Boston market which I think it top 7-8 in the country.

I don't factor on field performance as a detriment for any of those 3 teams I mentioned. I think it will come down to television networks. Remember BC was ahead of Syracuse in the 2003 pecking order too ultimately. I know there was other factors involved but the ACC took them over us ultimately for some reason and at that time we were the better football product
Syracuse advocated for Pitt to join the ACC over UConn. We were ahead of Pitt then.

I believe we are in the 64

Not 40

I don't see a way for the B1G and SEC to be the same size. It is hard to get the SEC past 24, and even harder to get to 32. If the SEC were at 32, then it is very hard to get the B1G past 24. It is pretty easy to get the B1G to 32, but that makes it impossible for the SEC to get there. Maybe both can get to 28, in which case SU makes the cut.

I don't see a way for the B1G and SEC to be the same size. It is hard to get the SEC past 24, and even harder to get to 32. If the SEC were at 32, then it is very hard to get the B1G past 24. It is pretty easy to get the B1G to 32, but that makes it impossible for the SEC to get there. Maybe both can get to 28, in which case SU makes the cut.

Depends how far the B1G expands West.. One would think they want to bring more teams over now that they have USC/UCLA in the fold.

SEC could expand their SE footprint and go into the Mid-Atlantic and further into Texas/Oklahoma and the heartland.

Basically would be B1G (NE, Midwest, West) and SEC (SE, Mid-Atlantic, Texas/Oklahoma)

Boston is not a college sports town. My bet is Syracuse draws more eyeballs in Metro NYC than BC does in Boston (and that it’s not close).
Heather Dinich @CFBHeather A source told me that if Notre Dame were to withdraw from the ACC, it can play football wherever it wants. It would have to pay exit fee and grant of rights fees for its other sports.
And what about the contractual commitment that if ND joins a conference before 2036 it will be the ACC? Breaching that would cry out for an injunction, and there would be no shortage of potential plaintiffs (including state AGs from states like PA if public school Pitt is left jilted).
Saying that we’re ND and contract law doesn’t apply might not be such a great idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom