usf is starting to get it | Syracusefan.com

usf is starting to get it

T

tipphill

they very wisely gave holtz a good contract extension. we should have given the same to marrone last year-----we did not----we should give it to him now---need to show the commitment to the coaching the staff so recruits can see where we are going with upgrades and vision.

It's ridiculous that SU hasn't given Marrone an extension yet. To me, that means his job isn't as safe as many here wish to believe. And if his job is very safe (as it probably should be), then Gross needs to get his butt in gear and extend the man.

While I respect what HCDM has done, last seasons meltdown does not warrant a contract extension. Truth is that I have serious reservations about some of the "in the moment-under pressure" game day decisions he's made. We've lost some games because of this (RU-2011, UConn-2011) and even HCDM would admit that he's fallen short of his goals to date.

We are now a program on the rise, and much (but not all) of this is due to him. Recruiting is on the upswing...Facilities are improving...and we are moving to the stability of the ACC. Syracuse is now a desirable destination and can begin to attract (and can now afford) upper tier coaching talent.

My feeling is HCDM should get two more years. He now has a full roster of his own players and its time to win now. If we don't see regular 8+ win seasons, it's time to make a change.

While I respect what HCDM has done, last seasons meltdown does not warrant a contract extension. Truth is that I have serious reservations about some of the "in the moment-under pressure" game day decisions he's made. We've lost some games because of this (RU-2011, UConn-2011) and even HCDM would admit that he's fallen short of his goals to date.

We are now a program on the rise, and much (but not all) of this is due to him. Recruiting is on the upswing...Facilities are improving...and we are moving to the stability of the ACC. Syracuse is now a desirable destination and can begin to attract (and can now afford) upper tier coaching talent.

My feeling is HCDM should get two more years. He now has a full roster of his own players and its time to win now. If we don't see regular 8+ win seasons, it's time to make a change.
I'm OK with 6 wins this year against a very rough schedule.

Sure 6 wins and a trip to the Mediocre Bowl would be adequate. But that's like graduating with a C- average. For a long term contract extension to be given, I think we need to see more than just average from HCDM.

I'll give you its a very rough OOC schedule. When you consider the other seven Big East opponents it turns into a very mediocre schedule.

I'll give you its a very rough OOC schedule. When you consider the other seven Big East opponents it turns into a very mediocre schedule.
6 wins and any bowl will beat the heck out of dropping the last 5 games. I'm looking for continuous improvement, not backsliding. Steady progress will get us back to and beyond the Coach P days that were my definition of mediocre.

agree with much of what you said . i give marrone a learning curve and have felt he deserved it. the ru game i believe he learned from and am waiting to see if he has assembled a team and not a collection of disenfranchised players that had no direction. he and su need that extension or we will see an exodus of assistants very shortly

Sure 6 wins and a trip to the Mediocre Bowl would be adequate. But that's like graduating with a C- average. For a long term contract extension to be given, I think we need to see more than just average from HCDM.
3 years is not long term

Maybe it's not SU holding up a contract extension. DM stated that if he can't get it done in a certain amount of time, maybe it can't be done. He made that clear when he was hired. He could get an NFL contract in a heart beat.

As I have said many times, the best thing about DM is that if he succeeds he will not leave. We really need to avoid being a program that is only a stepping stone for coaches. Let's face it there are very few long termers among the college coaching ranks. I think we have one.

Weird how everyone was saying he should be on the hot seat only a couple of months ago...

USF can extend Holtz for a million years but it won't matter when Notre Dame comes calling. Heck, if I were Arkansas and USF has a big year, I'd go after Skip.

Weird how everyone was saying he should be on the hot seat only a couple of months ago...

Marrone's seat isn't hot, but the temp most certainly has gone up a few degrees from the start of last season. Short of an 0-12 season, Marrone will not get fired this year. But the honeymoon is most definitely over and its time for tangible (consistent) results.

It's ridiculous that SU hasn't given Marrone an extension yet. To me, that means his job isn't as safe as many here wish to believe. And if his job is very safe (as it probably should be), then Gross needs to get his butt in gear and extend the man.
If he gets to a decent bowl or maybe even any bowl ,I would expect Gross to get off the fence ad extend Doug with more than a pat on the back. This recruiting class will probably be a big factor as well. It must be good enough to promise and indicate very good progress.:eek:

Still very debatable on both points. Don't think it has the attraction back yet that would attract an upper tier coach. (for example, I don't think they could pull a guy like Charlie Strong or Mario Cristobal away from their positions).

Also don't think they can afford to be paying a coach more than $1.5-2 million dollars, nor do I think they ever will pay a coach that much money. And honestly, to attract an upper tier guy you gotta pay that kind of money.

No way can they give Marrone an extension at this point. He has done little to earn one. If he has another bad season and no bowl SU can't go into the ACC with Marrone leading the football program. It would be a disaster.

If we can only get 6 wins with this years schedule, then we'll get killed in ACC come 2013.

Out of Conference
@Northwestern
Penn State
FCS Team (Not yet scheduled)
Division
Boston College
Clemson
Florida State
Maryland
NC State
Wake Forest
Cross division
Pitt (Permanent Cross-Division Rival)
VT/UVA/Miami
GT/UNC/Duke

If we can only get 6 wins with this years schedule, then we'll get killed in ACC come 2013.

Out of Conference
@Northwestern
Penn State
FCS Team (Not yet scheduled)
Division
Boston College
Clemson
Florida State
Maryland
NC State
Wake Forest
Cross division
Pitt (Permanent Cross-Division Rival)
VT/UVA/Miami
GT/UNC/Duke
Year at a time with continual improvement is what is needed.

After last years post WV collapse Marrone should be on the hot seat. Gross is playing his cards right.

Still very debatable on both points. Don't think it has the attraction back yet that would attract an upper tier coach. (for example, I don't think they could pull a guy like Charlie Strong or Mario Cristobal away from their positions).

Also don't think they can afford to be paying a coach more than $1.5-2 million dollars, nor do I think they ever will pay a coach that much money. And honestly, to attract an upper tier guy you gotta pay that kind of money.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this. I think they are headed in the right direction but I'm not sure it's an upper-tier job at the moment.

A couple other points:

-- I'd be in favor of the extension b/c it could accomplish two things:
1) Give the appearance of stability -- obviously a good thing for recruiting
2) Allow the cuse to be aggresive in setting up the buy-out. You can reward a guy for at least appearing to settle the ship, which Marrone has done in many ways, but also protect yourself in the event of poor on-field results. Extending someone after a great season makes that buyout tougher to negotiate.

-- I honestly care less about record as I do style. I mean, I think Marrone has proven he can win 8 games. He's also proven he can lose 8. I'd like this team to start taking some major steps forward offensively to at least set the table for future success. If we're white-knuckling our way to 7 wins, that's great but it doesn't do much to make me think that success is sustainable.

-- Rebuilding is not always linear. You'd love to think it was 4 wins, then 6, then 8 then 10 but that's just not how it works. Injuries, depth issues, key defections, bad breaks ... it's just not always that easy.

According to many on this board Ben and Mac would have been gone before we got better. Ben's 1st 7 yrs,[4-5],[5-5],[5-4],[7-3]lost to alabama 61-6,[5-3-1],[4-4],[5-3] next year jim brown's sr year 7-2, 3 yrs later 11-0. The 1st 7 [35-27-2], from 1956-1969 [100-40-1]. Mac's 1st 6 went [30-36-2], then 11-0-1 and 25-10-2 and left for boston. I realize eveyone is impatient to get back to past levels, but it was Jake who said we want to be top 10 ocassionally and top 25 most of the time. That was never enough committment to the program, now the new AD has had to try to catch up for past omissions. The saying" Rome wasn't built in a day".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom