Using Briles to make sense of the UMD debacle | Syracusefan.com

Using Briles to make sense of the UMD debacle

raf4488

Starter
I was thinking about how a good team could get their doors blown off like what happened in College Park last Saturday, and decided to check out some of Art Briles losses at Baylor once he turned around the program. Turns out he had a few losses like ours last week despite winning a lot of games.

2011: Baylor finishes 10-3, 6-2 in the B12, but had back to back losses at #21 TAMU (28-55) and at #3 Oklahoma State (24-59).

2012: Baylor goes 8-5 but loses 21-49 at unranked TCU.

2013: Baylor finishes 11-2, 8-1 outright B12 champs. College Gameday was in Stillwater to watch #3 Baylor lose to #11 OSU 17-49. This was Baylor’s only regular season loss.

2014: Baylor again finishes 11-2, 8-1 B12 (co-champs with TCU). They didn’t get destroyed by anyone this year but did lose to unranked WVU in Morgantown 27-41 while ranked #4.

2015: Briles goes 10-3, 6-3 in his last season at Baylor, but doesn’t lose by more than 10.

Between 2011-2013, Baylor had 4 losses of more than 3 TDs despite going 29-10. All of these losses were on the road.

Does this mean anything? Who knows, but there may be something about the Babers/Briles system that makes even good teams susceptible to the occasional blowout. Maybe this SU team isn’t as good as last year’s team, but I expect a much better effort at home this Saturday and am not writing off a good season just yet.

Dino has had 8 so far at SU. In fairness 4 were in his first season but that still leaves 4 others including last weekend. Not sure what to take from that other than we can play horribly at least once a year.

2016 - L'ville, USF, Clemson, FSU
2017 - L'ville, BC
2018 - ND
2019 - UMD

Why focus on the margin of defeat? That ignores games like the Mahoney Pitt shootout where we gave up 76! Maybe a better stat would be games in which the D gave up 40+ points?

Dino has had 8 so far at SU. In fairness 4 were in his first season but that still leaves 4 others including last weekend. Not sure what to take from that other than we can play horribly at least once a year.

2016 - L'ville, USF, Clemson, FSU
2017 - L'ville, BC
2018 - ND
2019 - UMD
Last year was our first good season in the Babers era, and I left off Briles’ first few seasons at Baylor because of course bad teams get blown out

Why focus on the margin of defeat? That ignores games like the Mahoney Pitt shootout where we gave up 76! Maybe a better stat would be games in which the D gave up 40+ points?
1) Baylor had plenty of those too

2) The team that gave up 76 to Pitt sucked. I wanted to focus on Briles’ teams once his program turned the corner, since we are in a similar place now with Babers.

our hope is that this season is a steady progression of improvement. need DeVito to stay healthy and the lbs to mature.

I have one more thing to add to this ..our good buddy Bud Poliquin did a piece a number of years ago when Marrone was entering his 3rd or 4th year at the helm ...and posed the idea that coaches who remain at Syracuse beyond their 4th year begin to have very good success. We just need Dino to hang around and we'll get it

To me, the margin of defeat implies an overall game where SU wasn't competitive. Whereas a game like Pitt, was just a shootout lacking solid D by either team. But up till the end of the game there was a chance for us to win, the Maryland game never felt like we had a chance almost from the start.

I was thinking about how a good team could get their doors blown off like what happened in College Park last Saturday, and decided to check out some of Art Briles losses at Baylor once he turned around the program. Turns out he had a few losses like ours last week despite winning a lot of games.

2011: Baylor finishes 10-3, 6-2 in the B12, but had back to back losses at #21 TAMU (28-55) and at #3 Oklahoma State (24-59).

2013: Baylor finishes 11-2, 8-1 outright B12 champs. College Gameday was in Stillwater to watch #3 Baylor lose to #11 OSU 17-49. This was Baylor’s only regular season loss.

2014: Baylor again finishes 11-2, 8-1 B12 (co-champs with TCU). They didn’t get destroyed by anyone this year but did lose to unranked WVU in Morgantown 27-41 while ranked #4.

2015: Briles goes 10-3, 6-3 in his last season at Baylor, but doesn’t lose by more than 10.

Between 2011-2013, Baylor had 4 losses of more than 3 TDs despite going 29-10. All of these losses were on the road.

Does this mean anything? Who knows, but there may be something about the Babers/Briles system that makes even good teams susceptible to the occasional blowout. Maybe this SU team isn’t as good as last year’s team, but I expect a much better effort at home this Saturday and am not writing off a good season just yet.
Oklahoma State air raid, WVU air raid

TCU, i don't think patterson had given in to the air raid at that point

The air raid works you play air raid teams enough, there are going to be really bad days. I'm glad we're a leaf on that Leach tree. LEACH!!

I hope Daboll is a great coach that helped Locksley become so much better - would be good for the Bills. Locksley might be on to something with an offense that is sort of his alone. Daboll, Kiffin, Sarkesian, Friedgen. He's worked with a lot of good coaches if you toss out the New Mexico debacle.

I missed a lot of the first half Saturday - it sounds like RPOs murdered us. Sounds a lot like that horrible performance against wake forest. they had some senior qb who we beat up on for years, wofford? by the end of his senior year, he had pretty much perfected the RPO and just like Saturday, we were hopeless against it

I missed a lot of the first half Saturday - it sounds like RPOs murdered us. Sounds a lot like that horrible performance against wake forest. they had some senior qb who we beat up on for years, wofford? by the end of his senior year, he had pretty much perfected the RPO and just like Saturday, we were hopeless against it
Pretty much. They ran RPO’s and their quick passing attack had WRs literally running wide open all over the field.

If our DB’s were giving their WRs 10 yard cushions, I fear they’ll be lining up 40 yards of the LOS against Ross and Higgins.

It was absurd.

The scheme, the effort... it was like Jackson knew where to go with the ball, pre-snap, every snap, and it always worked.

Definitely RPO crushed us. QB made some great (timing/placement) throws early in the game, RB I thought was really impressive - it wasn't just bad defense but it helped, playcalling was about as perfect as it could be - we never had a clue what they were going to do, and then the QB started to run a little bit and I knew that it was going to be over. We were struggling to cover what they were doing up to that point and now the QB is going to start running around too, not good.

Pretty much. They ran RPO’s and their quick passing attack had WRs literally running wide open all over the field.

If our DB’s were giving their WRs 10 yard cushions, I fear they’ll be lining up 40 yards of the LOS against Ross and Higgins.

It was absurd.

The scheme, the effort... it was like Jackson knew where to go with the ball, pre-snap, every snap, and it always worked.
there must be something about tampa 2 that makes it especially terrible against rpos

maryland probably knew which defender would get caught in that RPO pickle, have to try to fool them but if we're just lining up the same way because it's easy to practice...

Sometimes it’s tempo related - tempo teams who are less efficient than their opponents can get shredded. But I don’t think that was the case vs Maryland. They were more efficient and more explosive - ie scoring quickly on big plays is another ingredient in a blow out. I don’t think their scoring drives took very long.

Sometimes it’s tempo related - tempo teams who are less efficient than their opponents can get shredded. But I don’t think that was the case vs Maryland. They were more efficient and more explosive - ie scoring quickly on big plays is another ingredient in a blow out. I don’t think their scoring drives took very long.
Right, and our first half scoring drives were quick (big plays) as well — giving Maryland plenty of time to put up more points. Defense gave up yardage in chunks. Plus, a Devito fumble and interception gave Maryland short fields on two first half possessions. A lot went wrong - not sure how much you can conclude from that one game.

Dino defenses have rough starts
Western Michigan had 9.7 yards per play last year. ?!?
The early Louisville game had 10.4 yards per play
Maryland had 7.8
in 2017, we didn't really play anyone with a good offense early
Hell, we might be making progress in our early games (barrrrrrrrffff)

i don't like reading about how early we play clemson next year

This is a really good look. Thanks.

there must be something about tampa 2 that makes it especially terrible against rpos

maryland probably knew which defender would get caught in that RPO pickle, have to try to fool them but if we're just lining up the same way because it's easy to practice...

The Tampa 2 is a bad defense to play against teams with good running attacks/play action emphasis.

The Tampa 2 is a bad defense to play against teams with good running attacks/play action emphasis.
In my opinion in order for it to be effective you have to have exceptional LBs as they have primary responsibility for middle/center coverage. The RPO that Maryland ran required our LBs to make decisions that exposed them and their lack of experience killed us.

The problem is simple: Syracuse lost to the one team they couldn't afford to lose to - Maryland. Why was that game so important? Because when New Year's Six bowl selection time rolls around, you'll be graded on how you looked relative to other conferences for those at-large bids (and let's face it, the Orange went into the season with a legitimate shot at that kind of bowl). Now they'll probably be relegated to whatever bowl they're guaranteed, based on ACC finish - but there's often a big gap between what you're guaranteed and what you could have earned!

The 'Cuse have a long-standing reputation of blowing high-profile non-conference P5 games, they upsetting someone in conference... but that is NOT the formula for getting an at-large bid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom