USMNT thread - 2018 | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT thread - 2018

A quick thinker and a player who can anticipate action and see three plays ahead will 9/10 times do better than any athlete.
US Soccer only knows athletes. We're currently devoid of "thinking" players. For example google Xavi, Sergio Busquets, Pirlo, Iniesta etc. These four are among the best and none of them are good athletes.

It'll be interesting in seeing how he is used. I've read that Sarri is known for being a little daring with how he uses talented players in possession, we may see Puli get some run in positions outside of his typical winger role.

Yuck don’t want Pulisic in the physical game EPL.
That signing is real money though so he will play for them.
They will sell jerseys in America.
I would have liked him more with Klopp and Liverpool.

You guys...

Love a youth to a big-time youth team, especially when they invest $500K/year for a 17 y/o! He has time to develop as a pro, has no immediate pressures for PT or irrational expectations from fans (domestic and locally), then gets to see where he ends up a few years down the line.

It makes a lot of sense. I wish I knew more about his game.

It looks like Keaton Parks will be heading to MLS this winter. He fell out of favor at Benfica and his coach, who was a big proponent of him, was recently canned. He'll likely be playing a '6' role with NYCFC. He'll be in a pretty talented midfield with Alex Ring (Finland Int'l) and Maxi Moralez (previously in Serie A). I think he's still early 20s. Hopefully this is a one or two season loan, he matures his game, and finds a good landing spot in a more competitive league.

I only saw him with the US and in highlights, but I liked his game -- I'm excited about him.

You guys...

Love a youth to a big-time youth team, especially when they invest $500K/year for a 17 y/o! He has time to develop as a pro, has no immediate pressures for PT or irrational expectations from fans (domestic and locally), then gets to see where he ends up a few years down the line.

It makes a lot of sense. I wish I knew more about his game.
Bayern develop defenders well. Don’t be shocked to see him head to a lower tier Bundesliga team on loan as he’s already been excellent at our U-20 level. Could see a situation like David Alaba had where he sees game time this season with the senior club then heads on a season loan next year (Alaba spent a year at Hoffenheim). His biggest competition comes from the obvious ability of Bayern to spend and they’re reportedly chasing Lucas Hernandez from Atletico. He’s also got another young German CB he’s played with in Lars Lukas Mai who’s highly rated as well.

Tyler Adams starting for Lawn Ball Sports today in Bundesliga action -- game is a nooner on FS2. This is pretty amazing, being that he's only been there like 2 weeks.

Tyler Adams starting for Lawn Ball Sports today in Bundesliga action -- game is a nooner on FS2. This is pretty amazing, being that he's only been there like 2 weeks.

Did your phone autocorrect Red Bull Leipzig to “Lawn Ball Sports?”

I mean... lol

Did your phone autocorrect Red Bull Leipzig to “Lawn Ball Sports?”

I mean... lol

No - in Germany you cannot name a team after a product/as an advertisement. (For example, the name Red Bull New York wouldn't fly there). So what Red Bull did is they named a team RasenBallsport Leipzig. They shortened RasenBallsport to RB. RasenBallsport translates to Lawn Ball Sports in English.

It was just a way for Red Bull to try to circumvent marketing rules in the Bundesliga. I gotta be honest though -- I am not sure how that rule fits in with Bayer 04 Leverkussen. They must have been grandfathered in or something because the Aspirin company's employees founded the club.

No - in Germany you cannot name a team after a product/as an advertisement. (For example, the name Red Bull New York wouldn't fly there). So what Red Bull did is they named a team RasenBallsport Leipzig. They shortened RasenBallsport to RB. RasenBallsport translates to Lawn Ball Sports in English.

It was just a way for Red Bull to try to circumvent marketing rules in the Bundesliga. I gotta be honest though -- I am not sure how that rule fits in with Bayer Leverkussen. They must have been grandfathered in or something.

Wut???

Haha that’s a great explanation for it. I was confused.

Did you watch the game? And if so... impressions?

Wut???

I caught about the first 25 minutes or so before family responsibilities pulled me away. I really liked the way that Adams played. He's such a good defender (both on the ball and positionally) and he seemed to link up OK with his teammates offensively.

Negative side - he was a little confused in possession and didn't seem to position himself well off the ball. He also was half a step late on a few of his tackles, which I think is a result of the step up in play. He'll get used to the timing.

Overall though, he certainly looked like he belonged on a very good team. I would even dare say he looked like someone who should be their regular starters. Hopefully the rest of the game went that well too.

I caught about the first 25 minutes or so before family responsibilities pulled me away. I really liked the way that Adams played. He's such a good defender (both on the ball and positionally) and he seemed to link up OK with his teammates offensively.

Negative side - he was a little confused in possession and didn't seem to position himself well off the ball. He also was half a step late on a few of his tackles, which I think is a result of the step up in play. He'll get used to the timing.

Overall though, he certainly looked like he belonged on a very good team. I would even dare say he looked like someone who should be their regular starters. Hopefully the rest of the game went that well too.

Nice. Thank you for a good perspective and breakdown of his play. Looking forward to see what he can do across the pond.

Wut???

It’s funny because true German Bundesliga fans have always hated Bayern for being like the Yankees, but they REALLY hate Leipzig for never “earning” their ascendency.

It’s funny because true German Bundesliga fans have always hated Bayern for being like the Yankees, but they REALLY hate Leipzig for never “earning” their ascendency.

Like Chelsea or City in the EPL... outside $ isn’t welcome by traditional fans. And I get that.

But what do I know? I’m a bandwagon Man U fan from the late 90’s. What can I say? We didn’t have access to the product, had to pass around VHS tapes among our high school squad at Whitesboro. If I was growing up in the modern era there is a good chance I’d be Manchester blue. But to this day I will die a Red.

Glory Glory Man Uniiiiiiiiteeeeed...

Like Chelsea or City in the EPL... outside $ isn’t welcome by traditional fans. And I get that.

But what do I know? I’m a bandwagon Man U fan from the late 90’s. What can I say? We didn’t have access to the product, had to pass around VHS tapes among our high school squad at Whitesboro. If I was growing up in the modern era there is a good chance I’d be Manchester blue. But to this day I will die a Red.

Glory Glory Man Uniiiiiiiiteeeeed...

Remember the 1-hour EPL rewind show they’d have on MSG Network back then? I loved that. No stupid commentary, just all the plays you needed to see each game. Best show on TV at the time.

I remember when our cable provider picked up Fox Soccer Channel in the early 2000s. I was in heaven.

Remember the 1-hour EPL rewind show they’d have on MSG Network back then? I loved that. No stupid commentary, just all the plays you needed to see each game. Best show on TV at the time.

I remember when our cable provider picked up Fox Soccer Channel in the early 2000s. I was in heaven.

Yeah, that was great. The early morning hi-lights were amazing. Like SportsCenter for soccer fans...

And here we go!

Berhalter obviously wanted his first game to look pretty -- I'm not sure we'll always see these numbers being thrown forward, but USMNT fans have a few things to look forward too.

1 - The wing play: Roldan and Ebobisse playing wide are really creating some space and opportunities to throw in dangerous balls. That bodes well for when it's Puli and Weah having opportunities to create chances.

2 - If we're putting Zardes in good spots early, you gotta feel good about what Wood or Sargent will be doing. Zardes is a great athlete, he blossomed under Berhalter and the Crew this year, but get a real, skilled striker in there and they may have a goal and an assist already tonight.

3 - The defense, although I'm not thrilled about the way the individual players played last season (outside of Long), is looking organized.

4 - At least three times, we've overloaded one side of the field playing through our pivot and created a shot within 25 seconds. We never saw those 'set plays' with Klinny or Arena. I still contend Berhalter is a much better coach than most fans think, let's see if he makes me look like my normal foolish self.

The biggest negative:

We know Bradley isn't the answer as the pivot in Berhalter's system this cycle. I think he currently distributes better than Adams, McKennie, or Trapp, but one or two of those three is gonna have to step up soon to make a one-for-one replacement.

I still contend that John Brooks is the best distributor in USMNT history outside of JOB or Reyna, hopefully he picks up some of the slack when Bradley proves to be the liability he's becoming.

That's your first 45 minute hot take. Take it with a grain of salt.

Berhalter obviously wanted his first game to look pretty -- I'm not sure we'll always see these numbers being thrown forward, but USMNT fans have a few things to look forward too.

1 - The wing play: Roldan and Ebobisse playing wide are really creating some space and opportunities to throw in dangerous balls. That bodes well for when it's Puli and Weah having opportunities to create chances.

2 - If we're putting Zardes in good spots early, you gotta feel good about what Wood or Sargent will be doing. Zardes is a great athlete, he blossomed under Berhalter and the Crew this year, but get a real, skilled striker in there and they may have a goal and an assist already tonight.

3 - The defense, although I'm not thrilled about the way the individual players played last season (outside of Long), is looking organized.

4 - At least three times, we've overloaded one side of the field playing through our pivot and created a shot within 25 seconds. We never saw those 'set plays' with Klinny or Arena. I still contend Berhalter is a much better coach than most fans think, let's see if he makes me look like my normal foolish self.

The biggest negative:

We know Bradley isn't the answer as the pivot in Berhalter's system this cycle. I think he currently distributes better than Adams, McKennie, or Trapp, but one or two of those three is gonna have to step up soon to make a one-for-one replacement.

I still contend that John Brooks is the best distributor in USMNT history outside of JOB or Reyna, hopefully he picks up some of the slack when Bradley proves to be the liability he's becoming.

That's your first 45 minute hot take. Take it with a grain of salt.
I hope this system continues with wing play being at the forefront and the numbers going forward. I’m so sick of watching us sit back and let inferior teams dictate the play. Obviously this system will be tinkered with against better opponents but I really want more offensive aggression given the young talent coming in.

J-Lew coming on!

Criminally under utilized by his club. I love this kid going forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom