UVA dismisses Nichols | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UVA dismisses Nichols

Another shot at JB... weird!
You're insane. You have a twisted way of interpreting things... Bolstering a Bennett argument is not the same as trashing JB. The only reason JB was mentioned was to put it into a context that poppy might recognize/accept. You think bennetts record against anyone else makes more sense... in a forum where JB is accepted as NOT being overrated?

Give it a rest.

Any insight into why you guys cut
Him loose?
I heard similar things about alcohol and excessive partying playing a role in his first suspension, but have heard nothing specific about his dismissal .

I don't see it as a shot at JB, rather the opposite. As in an overrated Tony Bennett would not likely have such success against a great coach like JB. That's how I read it anyway.

I find it tough to argue that TB is a great coach. He is.
Thank you. I thought it was pretty simple logic. You wouldn't make a case for someone by comparing him to a stooge...

I have no idea if the assertions above are true. What I do know is that he is 22 years old and Bennett is overrated.
Do you know what he accomplished at Wazoo?

I don't think Bennett is overrated. I think his system is only going to take a program so far without better talent, sort of like Howland/Dixon Pitt teams. When Howland got the better talent at UCLA he did well.

I think recruiting for the Hoos should start to improve now that he has laid an excellent foundation and has John Paul Jones arena. They will be a top tier ACC team for a long time, imho.

Cheers,
Neil

Was he overrated when he was beating JB? Or just since the last game? When he finished 2nd, 1st and 1st in the acc the years we were in the conference, each time better than JB?

All despite not getting top 50 players. I'll take that kind of 'overrated.'

He got Ty Jerome who is a top 50 player and is right in our recruiting backyard(New Rochelle).

He got Ty Jerome who is a top 50 player and is right in our recruiting backyard(New Rochelle).
Granted, but i had been speaking of what Bennett had done. Jerome is an incoming kid, no?

IIRC, he was suspended for the exhibition games and the first regular season game. This is after sitting a season after transferring from Memphis. Must have been brewing for some time.

Indeed, brewing and distilling for quite some time......

Back from being cut off from a computer. He was suspended for the exhibition and the first real game for a "violation of team rules". He played in the 2nd game, against St. Francis, and looked good but rusty. He is now completely gone, supposedly transferring to NAIA William Penn. There's plenty of speculation, but one poster noted that it could have involved lying to a coach, which is a trust-killer that makes you gone and not just sitting. They will probably pull Jay Huff's redshirt to get another tall available with Salt, Reutter, and Diakite (who redshirted last year). Guy (the first 5* Bennett has recruited for us) has looked really good in his minutes, and seems to be picking up the defensive philosophy, including a couple of steals. Jerome in his minutes looks like he can do well replacing Perrantes next year. There doesn't seem to be a go-to scorer this year like when Brogdon was there; it seems to be a replacement of the lost scoring by committee. Against St. Francis (I didn't see us vs. the Elis), Nichols had 11 and a sizeable bunch of other people had 8 or 9.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom