UVA had 4 transfers last year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UVA had 4 transfers last year

Sorry not trying to be mean JB might win another title before he hangs em up yet not beat Tony Bennett again. I know there is going to be a game vs yall where we are ranked top 5/10 next couple years and 35k Syracuse fans brave a snowstorm on a Saturday to pack the Dome and we lose something like 59-41 in the most boring game ever. You guys are a very tough matchup for us.

We can't make the friggen tournament without seeing top ACC teams both our last 2 runs ended to UNC and Duke (your road to San Antonio went through KSU without their star player and Loyola) and in football we never get to play our Big East rivals Miami and VT or the basketball schools. Pick new colors or switch spots so we can be in the Atlantic for football if you want us to not make fun of you.

I probably wouldn't post on your board if I was really worried about you making fun of us.

No one’s going to remember that team for what they did during the regular season.
Who remembers any team that didn't win the national championship, aside from that team's fans? We still talk about "what could've been" with our 2010 team. Nobody else cares.

UVA lost their best athlete and one of the best players on the team right before the Tourney. They won the ACC Tournament and cruised through it for god’s sake. VERY good season.

^^^This.

Who remembers any team that didn't win the national championship, aside from that team's fans? We still talk about "what could've been" with our 2010 team. Nobody else cares.
Everyone is going to remember UMBC pummeling Virginia.

Everyone is going to remember UMBC pummeling Virginia.
People will remember who won. The score will be forgotten. Without looking it up, do you remember the Syracuse vs Richmond score?

As more 16's win games, the upset of Virginia will become less relevant. I haven't heard national media talk about SU being the first 2 seed to lose to a 15 in years.

People will remember who won. The score will be forgotten. Without looking it up, do you remember the Syracuse vs Richmond score?

As more 16's win games, the upset of Virginia will become less relevant. I haven't heard national media talk about SU being the first 2 seed to lose to a 15 in years.
The Richmond game was close. Most of the 15s over 2s were close. (Coppin State was the only 15 to win by double digits.) And you're right, there have been a number of them over the years, and ours is no longer the biggest. It will always be the first, though.

Another 16 might pull off the upset someday, but I doubt it will be by 20 points. That's what will distinguish UMBC from any others that follow. Not only were they the first, but they delivered a beatdown.

The Richmond game was close. Most of the 15s over 2s were close. (Coppin State was the only 15 to win by double digits.) And you're right, there have been a number of them over the years, and ours is no longer the biggest. It will always be the first, though.

Another 16 might pull off the upset someday, but I doubt it will be by 20 points. That's what will distinguish UMBC from any others that follow. Not only were they the first, but they delivered a beatdown.
But you don't remember the scores of any specific games. In 5 years people will remember the time Virginia lost to a 16 but most, Virginia fans being the exception, won't remember by how much.

In the grand scheme of their history it will matter that they were a 30 win team and won the ACC championship, despite the loss, the same way it's significant JB has never had a losing record or he's had X number of twenty win seasons or won X number of Big East championships or that coach K has had X number of 30 win seasons or won X number of ACC championships. All of those 20 and 30 win seasons and conference championships matter when you back up and look at a program as a whole, even though a number of them ended with an upset in the NCAA tournament.

But you don't remember the scores of any specific games. In 5 years people will remember the time Virginia lost to a 16 but most, Virginia fans being the exception, won't remember by how much.

In the grand scheme of their history it will matter that they were a 30 win team and won the ACC championship, despite the loss, the same way it's significant JB has never had a losing record or he's had X number of twenty win seasons or won X number of Big East championships or that coach K has had X number of 30 win seasons or won X number of ACC championships. All of those 20 and 30 win seasons and conference championships matter when you back up and look at a program as a whole, even though a number of them ended with an upset in the NCAA tournament.
I don't think it's that difficult to remember if a game was close or ended in a blowout.

Speaking of grand schemes, it's rare for historical upsets to end in a blowout. The Miracle on Ice was a close game. Super Bowl III was a close game. Man O' War lost by a nose. Rulon Gardner won by a point. Nova over Georgetown was close. The Giants over the Patriots was close.

The only ground-breaking, historical upset I can think of that's comparable to UMBC over UVA is Buster Douglas destroying Mike Tyson. We don't just remember Douglas winning, we remember how he did it. Same applies to UMBC.

In almost 30 years, there have been eight 15/2 upsets. (BTW, FGCU over Georgetown was also double digits.) I imagine there will be far fewer 16/1 upsets over the next three decades. Remembering a blowout won't be that much of a challenge.

If UVA got by UMBC they would be playing tonight simply because their run was so easy.

If UVA got by UMBC they would be playing tonight simply because their run was so easy.

Well, they lost to the easiest team they could've played so your statement really doesn't make sense.

I don't think it's that difficult to remember if a game was close or ended in a blowout.

Speaking of grand schemes, it's rare for historical upsets to end in a blowout. The Miracle on Ice was a close game. Super Bowl III was a close game. Man O' War lost by a nose. Rulon Gardner won by a point. Nova over Georgetown was close. The Giants over the Patriots was close.

The only ground-breaking, historical upset I can think of that's comparable to UMBC over UVA is Buster Douglas destroying Mike Tyson. We don't just remember Douglas winning, we remember how he did it. Same applies to UMBC.

In almost 30 years, there have been eight 15/2 upsets. (BTW, FGCU over Georgetown was also double digits.) I imagine there will be far fewer 16/1 upsets over the next three decades. Remembering a blowout won't be that much of a challenge.
You have a much better memory than most sports fans or looked some of that stuff up.

In a few years I won't remember UVA lost by 20, just that they lost. I didn't remember how big the Gtown loss was. I'm astonished that a hockey game had a close score *sarcasm*. The only horse racing thing I'll ever remember is Secretariat winning the Belmont by a lot, but I can't tell you exactly by how much without looking up.

I think everyone that's not a UVA or UMBC fan will remember NC State over Houston and Villanova over Georgetown more than UVA's loss.

I think everyone that's not a UVA or UMBC fan will remember NC State over Houston and Villanova over Georgetown more than UVA's loss.
We'll have to agree to disagree on everything else we've discussed so far, but you can't honestly believe the above statement will be true.

Well, they lost to the easiest team they could've played so your statement really doesn't make sense.

True and you are correct. But lets say they were playing tonight for arguments sake.

UMBC-> Kansas St without their star -> Calipari's worst UK team and youngest team in the country -> Loyola Chicago -> Michigan has to be the easist path to Monday a team has ever faced since the tournament went to 64 teams???

What I find surprising is that nobody wanted to note how the article said about 250 underclassman transferred from C 1 teams last year. Add to that the approximate 60 underclassman who entered the draft. So SU's situation is not all that unusual.

True and you are correct. But lets say they were playing tonight for arguments sake.

UMBC-> Kansas St without their star -> Calipari's worst UK team and youngest team in the country -> Loyola Chicago -> Michigan has to be the easist path to Monday a team has ever faced since the tournament went to 64 teams???

I think I heard them say Michigan is the first team to get to the NC game and not having had played anyone better than a 5 seed.

Last edited:

Might want to take it easy with the H0T Takes. You just joined the board, bro. You must be forgetting the Noel team re: Kentucky. This team was actually quite good the past month of the season and was playing as good as anybody. Shea Gilgeous-Alexander is a one man wrecking crew and their other players really improved. Going to WVU and crushing them was impressive. I was a little surprised re: them and K-State but if you know K-State and Bruce Weber teams you are going to have to really earn it VS a Bruce Weber team. Plus they were solid in the B12 which was the best league all year and performed the best in the Tourney. I had UVA losing to K-State (not rocket science) but I think Michigan was well equipped to take down UNC had it come to that. My bracket has a Michigan-Nova final so I was pretty confident in them regardless. They did get lucky against Houston but so did Loyola twice.

I think I heard them say Michigan is the first team to get to the NC game and not having had played anyone better than a 5 seed.

Yeah the other half of the bracket was bad think we all knew we were on the wrong side of it after Michigan St. UVA's pod was the softest though. None of Loyola's wins were even big 'upsets' they were literally 2-3 point dogs vs Miami first round and small 4-5 point dogs in the other games. KSU without Dean Wade as your Elite 8 game is the definition of a gift. Just saying there were no monsters waiting for Bennett's boys until tonight if they survived a pesky UMBC team.

Yeah the other half of the bracket was bad think we all knew we were on the wrong side of it after Michigan St. UVA's pod was the softest though. None of Loyola's wins were even big 'upsets' they were literally 2-3 point dogs vs Miami first round and small 4-5 point dogs in the other games. KSU without Dean Wade as your Elite 8 game is the definition of a gift. Just saying there were no monsters waiting for Bennett's boys until tonight if they survived a pesky UMBC team.

IMO, UVA’s draw was pretty tough regardless of Hunter. It’s all matchups. Bruce Weber and K-State as a grinder/physical and athletic team. Much like how Florida gave them trouble last year. Facing Kentucky would’ve been BIG problem. Sure not Cal’s best team but a matchup nightmare for them and as I mentioned they were playing as good as anybody. Really picked it up on D too. One could argue UK was underseeded at 5.

We'll have to agree to disagree on everything else we've discussed so far, but you can't honestly believe the above statement will be true.
I do. Those two are talked about every year, come tournament time, more than 30 years later. 5 years after Richmond beat us, it was hardly mentioned in the media and most, if not all, non SU fans forgot about it. People remember underdogs that won it all, look at your previous post that noted all of the upsets, they were all teams/individuals that won the whole thing, they forget the other stuff.

Last edited:
I do. Those two are talked about every year come tournament time more than 30 years later. 5 years after Richmond beat us, it was hardly mentioned in the media and most, if not all, non SU fans forgot about it. People remember underdogs that won it all, look at your previous post that noted all of the upsets, they were all teams/individuals that won the whole thing, they forget the other stuff.
We'll see.