UVa Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

UVa Thoughts

OnlyOrange

Walk On
UVA will probably try to shoot low on Madonna to take advantage of the surface change for him. He has seemed to be devouring low shots so it might be a non factor.

As for middies, I don’t see much of a game plan issue. SU can’t dodge as is so playing a motion style O won't be impeded too much by a surface change. The grass will probably impact Rehfuss and Solomon more than anyone because they seem to be the only dodgers SU has right now.

72-108. He's good. Thats a 67% clip. Could be a long day in Charlottesville Saturday.

He's done a nice job, transfer from I believe Monmouth or some school like that. Has been Ben Williams esque so far but I would pump the brakes a little bit. The competition level hasn't been great and neither Loyola or Princeton has a top flight faceoff guy this year.

He's done a nice job, transfer from I believe Monmouth or some school like that. Has been Ben Williams esque so far but I would pump the brakes a little bit. The competition level hasn't been great and neither Loyola or Princeton has a top flight faceoff guy this year.
Yes, Schwenk transferred in from Monmouth. It's been a good combination of Schwenk's winning them straight out and vastly improved wing play by having Conrad (22) and Conners (28, LSM) as wing middies on the FOs.

Yes, Schwenk transferred in from Monmouth. It's been a good combination of Schwenk's winning them straight out and vastly improved wing play by having Conrad (22) and Conners (28, LSM) as wing middies on the FOs.

Conners is legit, I watched him last year. Really helps overcome the lose of Scales. That class he is in is really going to be a good one for you guys for the next few years and a relief for the rest of us when they graduate in two years. I suspect UVA's wings are unfortunately much better then SU's right now. Wing play has really been a struggle even with Ben Williams the last 3 years. We do have some young frosh guys who are getting after it and we went double pole ala ND the last game so I suspect Dekso will try that on Sunday. I worry we don't have anyone to counteract Conrad though and I fear he's going to win a bunch of gbs. It's likely going to be another long day at the X for us.

Conners is legit, I watched him last year. Really helps overcome the lose of Scales. That class he is in is really going to be a good one for you guys for the next few years and a relief for the rest of us when they graduate in two years. I suspect UVA's wings are unfortunately much better then SU's right now. Wing play has really been a struggle even with Ben Williams the last 3 years. We do have some young frosh guys who are getting after it and we went double pole ala ND the last game so I suspect Dekso will try that on Sunday. I worry we don't have anyone to counteract Conrad though and I fear he's going to win a bunch of gbs. It's likely going to be another long day at the X for us.
Conrad's the best all around player in college lacrosse, maybe in quite a few years. He does everything well, has the ball a lot and knows what to do with it. UVA is a very good offensive team. I think it will pose problems for our defense, not the least because UVA turns it over at a high rate and accumulates possessions during which they pressure towards the goal from every direction with excellent attacks and middies who don't waste a lot of time getting their shots off. Like Albany, UVA can exhaust our defense. I don't think SU can win a back and forth game. SU might frustrate them with long possessions leading to goals against a mediocre defense. Hold on to your...

Actually Kology (16), a true walk-on who Lars didn't think would make the team and said so in the roster bio, has been the 3rd starter lately. Lars said in one presser that he feels he has 4 D poles who are equally good and will start whoever has had the best practices, but the 4th pole had better be ready to go in at any time.

Conrad's the best all around player in college lacrosse, maybe in quite a few years. He does everything well, has the ball a lot and knows what to do with it. UVA is a very good offensive team. I think it will pose problems for our defense, not the least because UVA turns it over at a high rate and accumulates possessions during which they pressure towards the goal from every direction with excellent attacks and middies who don't waste a lot of time getting their shots off. Like Albany, UVA can exhaust our defense. I don't think SU can win a back and forth game. SU might frustrate them with long possessions leading to goals against a mediocre defense. Hold on to your...

Conrad reminds of me of Matt Abbott with more offensive skill. Right now Aiken and Laviano are the main concerns on the UVA offense from what I can see. I would assume Mellen will take Laviano and Fusco will absolutely draw Aiken. I hope Fusco bring its big time Sunday he has seemed a bit out of sorts so far this year for a pre-season All-American. Really hope to see more of Murphy of SSDM, he was a revelation there. SU is playing a ton of SSDM right now more then I can ever remember. Seems Hutchings, Murphy and Ford were the main guys in the second half last Saturday. Dami is going to be a good one but seems a bit over his head at this point. Schwasnick seems to have been supplanted.

Conrad reminds of me of Matt Abbott with more offensive skill. Right now Aiken and Laviano are the main concerns on the UVA offense from what I can see. I would assume Mellen will take Laviano and Fusco will absolutely draw Aiken. I hope Fusco bring its big time Sunday he has seemed a bit out of sorts so far this year for a pre-season All-American. Really hope to see more of Murphy of SSDM, he was a revelation there. SU is playing a ton of SSDM right now more then I can ever remember. Seems Hutchings, Murphy and Ford were the main guys in the second half last Saturday. Dami is going to be a good one but seems a bit over his head at this point. Schwasnick seems to have been supplanted.
Jeremy - agree with your remarks about Fusco. He seems a step slow and lacking in quickness. I have liked Murphy since I watched his videos. He's an irritable, strong, and athletic competitor who played well against Army. Let's put Fernandez and Murphy on the wings. They may not win a lot of draws, but they'll drive UVA crazy with aggression. Ford is a surprise. He seems almost laconic, but moves well and remains in position. I never know what to expect from these guys.

Jeremy - agree with your remarks about Fusco. He seems a step slow and lacking in quickness. I have liked Murphy since I watched his videos. He's an irritable, strong, and athletic competitor who played well against Army. Let's put Fernandez and Murphy on the wings. They may not win a lot of draws, but they'll drive UVA crazy with aggression. Ford is a surprise. He seems almost laconic, but moves well and remains in position. I never know what to expect from these guys.

I wonder if he has some sort of nagging injury because as you noted he just doesn't look like himself out there. Dekso did seem to be going to the backup LSM a lot last game especially in the second half, which maybe a clue that Fusco isn't 100% especially with Helmer already out. I hope Helmer is back this week, he seems like a decent matchup for Aiken with his size and aggresive style of play. I may have misspoke about Mellen taking Laviano, forgot about Kraus. I would assume Mellen would draw Kraus and then either Cunningham or Kennedy on Laviano. If Bomberry is back I think he will take the third attackmen, hes not a great match up for Laviano. Hope Kennedy plays a lot on Sunday, think he could match up well with either Laviano or D'amario who I believe is the other starter.

I also agree with you about the SSDM, it's similar to the midfield right now in that there is a ton of depth but its unclear what your going to get from game to game with these guys. I do think that Murphy needs to play, liked what I saw from him against Army and his skills as a LSM translated to SSDM effortlessly. That second spot is a little trickier. Ford and Hutchings seems to get the rest of the runs late with mixed results. Ford has the size I think SU is looking for, woudl be interested to see what he can do with some extended PT. Hutchings has been hot and cold. Dami seems a year away to me, game looks to fast for him right now.

I wonder if he has some sort of nagging injury because as you noted he just doesn't look like himself out there. Dekso did seem to be going to the backup LSM a lot last game especially in the second half, which maybe a clue that Fusco isn't 100% especially with Helmer already out. I hope Helmer is back this week, he seems like a decent matchup for Aiken with his size and aggresive style of play. I may have misspoke about Mellen taking Laviano, forgot about Kraus. I would assume Mellen would draw Kraus and then either Cunningham or Kennedy on Laviano. If Bomberry is back I think he will take the third attackmen, hes not a great match up for Laviano. Hope Kennedy plays a lot on Sunday, think he could match up well with either Laviano or D'amario who I believe is the other starter.

I also agree with you about the SSDM, it's similar to the midfield right now in that there is a ton of depth but its unclear what your going to get from game to game with these guys. I do think that Murphy needs to play, liked what I saw from him against Army and his skills as a LSM translated to SSDM effortlessly. That second spot is a little trickier. Ford and Hutchings seems to get the rest of the runs late with mixed results. Ford has the size I think SU is looking for, woudl be interested to see what he can do with some extended PT. Hutchings has been hot and cold. Dami seems a year away to me, game looks to fast for him right now.
Jeremy - any word on the the issue is with Helmer, and how long he will be out?

Nice mention of Ford whose good game flew under radar. Could rotate Kennedy again on face-offs though battling Conrad n Conners then dropping to cover that attack might exhaust. UVA has several high profile offensive players while we would seem to have better overall depth, wonder what temp would be most preferable?

Jeremy - any word on the the issue is with Helmer, and how long he will be out?

Hey, unfortunately I have nothing on him injury wise. He appeared to be moving fine and didn't appear to have any braces or anything on the sideline. Perhaps Creaserat can clarify.

UVA will probably try to shoot low on Madonna to take advantage of the surface change for him. He has seemed to be devouring low shots so it might be a non factor.

As for middies, I don’t see much of a game plan issue. SU can’t dodge as is so playing a motion style O won't be impeded too much by a surface change. The grass will probably impact Rehfuss and Solomon more than anyone because they seem to be the only dodgers SU has right now.
My thoughts around the middies is their legs not cutting, etc. UVa is going to want to play a fast past and running on grass is a different animal than running on turf. I hope we don’t come out with dead legs.

Laviano is a snake, quick almost split second low lefty shot, he will be difficult for any of our defensemen. I like Kennedy too. I'd love to shut Laviano off, frustrate him, but then you have to face Krauss with space and any number of others like Aiken. Krauss, however, is the guy I would concentrate on. He is multitalented, can shoot right or left and pass with great facility. To Whom among these guys does one slide? I'm glad I don't have to scheme for UVA.

Laviano is a snake, quick almost split second low lefty shot, he will be difficult for any of our defensemen. I like Kennedy too. I'd love to shut Laviano off, frustrate him, but then you have to face Krauss with space and any number of others like Aiken. Krauss, however, is the guy I would concentrate on. He is multitalented, can shoot right or left and pass with great facility. To Whom among these guys does one slide? I'm glad I don't have to scheme for UVA.

I think you have to put Mellen on Kraus and just let him know that the slides are going to be few and far between. As you noted UVA is a pain to scout for, have to have a talented close and lsm that can at least smow down Aiken and Kraus and then try to minimize their possessions. Laviano is a small attackmen but quick, a guy like Bomberry could body him but not sure he can stay with him if he is dodging a lot.

I must be missing it on Hutchings. He looks like a statue to me and he didn't seem to stay in front of anyone on Saturday but he was out there on every shift during crunch time (I think). To me he seems like the weakest link right now (although I agree that Fusco has not been very impressive, either) and SU is sliding so badly that a weak link could be devastating.

Krauss is legit. Watch his highlights against Notre Dame last year. Great at getting shots off quickly and will sprint straight to the cage if he gets his man the least bit out of position. Also plays heads up - he's got 8 assists to go along with his 10 goals. Hopefully we can shut him down... seeing what we can do against him and Laviano will be an interesting litmus test for where we're headed over the next several games. I do hope Mellen is on him - would be a fun matchup to watch and a nice confidence booster for Nick and the team in general if he's neutralized.

Agree. Krauss n UVA attackmen are good. Pick your poison, think their attackmen combined have scored 35 in 4 games with Laviano having 14 and 3rd n 4th not shabby either.. Will be challenging, certainly cant afford breaks off faceoffs.

Not going to matter what they do on defense if Varello has another bad day. Kraus, Aitken and Laviano are going to score. The key is going to be winning FO's and time of possession. We cannot dig ourselves another 4 to 6 goal hole against UVA. I remain concerned with the slow starts in our last two games. This has got to change.

Not going to matter what they do on defense if Varello has another bad day. Kraus, Aitken and Laviano are going to score. The key is going to be winning FO's and time of possession. We cannot dig ourselves another 4 to 6 goal hole against UVA. I remain concerned with the slow starts in our last two games. This has got to change.

This 100%. Biggest concern is wing play, Conrad and Conners are animals. We really need to have our wings play over their heads on Sunday. Hope to see the double poles again or at least Murphy and Fernandez or Murphy and Kennedy.

In regards to faceoffs, I would be quick to go to the double pole with Kennedy and Fernandez. That combination seemed work well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom