VA Tech (Reunion weekend) hotel recommendations | Syracusefan.com

VA Tech (Reunion weekend) hotel recommendations

Moontan

2017 ESPN College Bowl Pick’em Winner
Crowne Plaza shuts down.

As fate would have it, the Crowne Plaza shut down less than a month before our reunion weekend. My reservations were simply canceled with no other options provided.

Most of the common downtown hotels are full. Which leaves some potentially questionable "local" options (including on James St.) which may not be considered safe.
It may be best to stay further away and Uber in for on-campus events.

If anyone has any suggestions feel free to share them here or via a message. Thanks in advance!
I'll be flying in on the Wednesday the 30th and leaving on Sunday the 3rd. Looking for 2 rooms.

Crowne Plaza shuts down.

As fate would have it, the Crowne Plaza shut down less than a month before our reunion weekend. My reservations were simply canceled with no other options provided.

Most of the common downtown hotels are full. Which leaves some potentially questionable "local" options (including on James St.) which may not be considered safe.
It may be best to stay further away and Uber in for on-campus events.

If anyone has any suggestions feel free to share them here or via a message. Thanks in advance!
I'll be flying in on the Wednesday the 30th and leaving on Sunday the 3rd. Looking for 2 rooms.
I've stayed at a lot of them over the years at Carrier Circle, ones down the street from the Dome, Armory Square, Liverpool, Camillus and by the Mall.

I would recommend going on Expedia and Priceline and see what comes up in your budget and location. There are only three now within walking distance of campus, so you might need to drive or Uber, unfortunately.

Any specific questions let me know.

I've stayed at a lot of them over the years at Carrier Circle, ones down the street from the Dome, Armory Square, Liverpool, Camillus and by the Mall.

I would recommend going on Expedia and Priceline and see what comes up in your budget and location. There are only three now within walking distance of campus, so you might need to drive or Uber, unfortunately.

Any specific questions let me know.
We'll be good to Uber in/out on Friday & Saturday.

Just want to make sure that we're safe and possibly have some nearby dinner/pub options on Wednesday and Thursday.

We'll be good to Uber in/out on Friday & Saturday.

Just want to make sure that we're safe and possibly have some nearby dinner/pub options on Wednesday and Thursday.
Let me preface by noting that I have never stayed at any local hotel. Ever. So none of what follows comes from first hand experience.

The Aloft on the Syracuse Inner Harbor and the Embassy Suites next to DestinyUSA are almost new hotels that should be in very good shape. They are in safe neighborhoods, they are relatively close to SU and there are lots of good restaurants/pubs close by. You have the mall, the places near the Inner Harbor Taproom, the Preserve, and Armory Square and all the great places there are only a few blocks away.

I think the two best hotels in the Carrier Circle (not JMA Circle yet) are another Embassy Suites and a Doubletree. But there are many other hotels in this area if those do not cut the mustard. There aren't as many choices for pubs or good restaurants but Joey's or Vito's (fav of Coach Brown) is good if you like Italian. Golden Spike is a nice bar with good food. And there are a couple Trappers close by if you crave a sports bar with good food. It is pretty far from SU but still no more than a 5 or 10 minute car ride.

The Craftsman Inn in Fayetteville is (I think) a nice place. My friends that have stayed there liked it. Cost is not crazy, there is a tap house there and Arad Evans is almost next store. There is a Tully's, a Carraba's and an Avicolli's (very good local Italian) close by as well. A nice strip mall (Town Center) is across the street, so you have a Target and a Tops nearby if you need supplies. And I think a Chipotle's just opened there as well if you tu gustaría ordenar unos tacos. Still should be no more than a 10 minute ride to SU. Maybe 15 on a bad day.

Let me preface by noting that I have never stayed at any local hotel. Ever. So none of what follows comes from first hand experience.

The Aloft on the Syracuse Inner Harbor and the Embassy Suites next to DestinyUSA are almost new hotels that should be in very good shape. They are in safe neighborhoods, they are relatively close to SU and there are lots of good restaurants/pubs close by. You have the mall, the places near the Inner Harbor Taproom, the Preserve, and Armory Square and all the great places there are only a few blocks away.

I think the two best hotels in the Carrier Circle (not JMA Circle yet) are another Embassy Suites and a Doubletree. But there are many other hotels in this area if those do not cut the mustard. There aren't as many choices for pubs or good restaurants but Joey's or Vito's (fav of Coach Brown) is good if you like Italian. Golden Spike is a nice bar with good food. And there are a couple Trappers close by if you crave a sports bar with good food. It is pretty far from SU but still no more than a 5 or 10 minute car ride.

The Craftsman Inn in Fayetteville is (I think) a nice place. My friends that have stayed there liked it. Cost is not crazy, there is a tap house there and Arad Evans is almost next store. There is a Tully's, a Carraba's and an Avicolli's (very good local Italian) close by as well. A nice strip mall (Town Center) is across the street, so you have a Target and a Tops nearby if you need supplies. And I think a Chipotle's just opened there as well if you tu gustaría ordenar unos tacos. Still should be no more than a 10 minute ride to SU. Maybe 15 on a bad day.
Craftsman Inn is super nice but a bit expensive. Easy to uber to/from and plenty of food options walking distance. Co-sign there if you're willing to spend over $800 for rooms.

Have family in town but occasionally, need to stay at Carrier Circle. Would suggest Hampton Inn, Courtyard by Marriot or Springhill Suites (fairly new). Bull and Bear roadhouse on Rte 289 just north of the Thruway (less than 5 mins by car) has decent pub grub and a good beer selection. Ubering to the Dome is not that bad.

I have stayed at Carrier Circle at the Doubletree, the Embassy Suites, the Hampton Inn and Springhill and still continue to stay at them for basketball games. That location is great for me as it gets me an easy out of town.

But if I'm not in a hurry, I would much rather stay at the Collegian or Parkview both within walking distance to the Dome along with any of the Armory Square hotels as it is an easy commute, or an ambitious walk. Plus I think Shaughnesseys in the Syracuse Marriott on Warren Street still might do a shuttle.

The Aloft and Embassy Suites by the mall are both great locations if you have kids. We have previously reviewed the Aloft chain on here as it is a litte different, but it is new and clean and have friendly people. Definite food and beverage options in the mall and on the Northside of Syracuse.