Va Tech | Syracusefan.com

Va Tech

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
Im too lazy to research this on my own. They any good? Typical middle of the pack acc team like they are every year and gonna end up on bubble? We gonna run them outta the gym or can they hang with us?

Im too lazy to research this on my own. They any good? Typical middle of the pack acc team like they are every year and gonna end up on bubble? We gonna run them outta the gym or can they hang with us?
We gonna roll them bad...

They're picked to finish 6th in the ACC by the media. They have all the makings of yet another bubble burst on Selection Sunday. It will be a major disappointment if SU doesn't win by at least 10.

They're picked 6th in ACC which is worse than it was last year. This year it's just UNC, Duke and the rest of the teams that are border-line mid majors.

On paper we should win by 20.

They're picked 6th in ACC which is worse than it was last year. This year it's just UNC, Duke and the rest of the teams that are border-line mid majors.

On paper we should win by 20.

Florida St. is legit. they are returning 3 starters from last year's sweet 16 team. From Blue Ribbon:

"FSU has more ACC wins over the last six years than anybody other than Duke and North Carolina. The program that once went 12 years without winning more than six league games in a season has now won 10-10-11 the last three years. FSU has played in three straight NCAA Tournaments (the third best active streak in the ACC) and last spring became the first ACC team -- other than Duke or UNC -- to reach the NCAA Sweet 16 since 2006."

They're picked to finish 6th in the ACC, so 12th in the Big East...sooo...yeah, we ought to win by 25.

From my SU basketball preview post:

Virginia Tech, a former Big East and future ACC rival, has had a frustrating run. Three times in the last four years, the won 20+ games and had a winning ACC record but, (in their view) were “snubbed” by the NCAA tournament. A big factor has been their weak non-conference schedule and this tournament is an attempt to upgrade it. They lost three seniors from a 22-12 team but get back Dorenzo Hudson, a big guard at 6-5 220, an explosive scorer who missed last season with a foot injury. He averaged 15.2 two years ago and his replacement, Erick Green averaged 11.6 last year. Also returning from being injured last year is 6-6 225 forward JT. Thompson and 6-9 238 Cadarian Raines. The three of them, (with Hudson) are the equivalent of a recruiting class. Whether the team has enough outside shooting after being 9th in the league in three point shooting and losing leading scorer Malcolm Delany is an issue.

Blowout. 20-30 point game that might look a little closer at the end with walk-ons.

They had a great recruiting haul, in the off-season. However, they have no C. Their tallest player is 6'10 and is listed as a F. We should win easily.

I heard a scouting report on them after the game on Saturday. If memory serves, they are an excellent outside shooting team...they shoot 42% from the 3 point circle. They have one decent big guy. I assume we will zone them, extend the zone and rely on our 3 big shotblockers to clean up things if V Tech is able to get the ball inside the paint.

One thing to keep in mind is that Red Autry was an assistant there the last couple of years. We thus have a great insider perspective on that program's personnel and coaching strategies and should be as well prepared to play them as any team we ever play.

I heard a scouting report on them after the game on Saturday. If memory serves, they are an excellent outside shooting team...they shoot 42% from the 3 point circle. They have one decent big guy. I assume we will zone them, extend the zone and rely on our 3 big shotblockers to clean up things if V Tech is able to get the ball inside the paint.

One thing to keep in mind is that Red Autry was an assistant there the last couple of years. We thus have a great insider perspective on that program's personnel and coaching strategies and should be as well prepared to play them as any team we ever play.

Excellent point that I haven't seen elsewhere nor thought of myself.

they are top 10 in RPI, better be ready for a war at MSG

Florida St. is legit. they are returning 3 starters from last year's sweet 16 team. From Blue Ribbon:

"FSU has more ACC wins over the last six years than anybody other than Duke and North Carolina. The program that once went 12 years without winning more than six league games in a season has now won 10-10-11 the last three years. FSU has played in three straight NCAA Tournaments (the third best active streak in the ACC) and last spring became the first ACC team -- other than Duke or UNC -- to reach the NCAA Sweet 16 since 2006."
FSU lost Chris Singleton, though. A solid squad, but he was a difference maker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom