Vandy fires Bryce Drew / hires Jerry Stackhouse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Vandy fires Bryce Drew / hires Jerry Stackhouse

Yeah, many years back the typical path was often a kid that couldn’t quite get on the floor at Cuse, would go to a lesser school and become a starter or a star.

Bobby Lazor at Arizona St.
Glenn Sekunda at Penn State
Earl Duncan and Keith Hughes at Rutgers
Richard Manning at Washington

Even Matt Roe was 5th starter/role player at Cuse and went to Maryland and was their main guy.
Roe averaged 25 minutes his last 2 years at SU. He wasn't just a guy or token starter. He would have been a significant player here his senior year.
Duncan left because he hated Douglas.

Roe averaged 25 minutes his last 2 years at SU. He wasn't just a guy or token starter. He would have been a significant player here his senior year.
Duncan left because he hated Douglas.

I know but...he was clearly our 5th starter and a role player. Because we had Douglas/Seikaly/Coleman/Thompson and then Douglas/Owens/Coleman/Thompson.

I recall a freshman Johnson pushing him for minutes sometimes in 89.

Did Duncan Hate Douglas because he couldn’t beat him out?

Seems like that could potentially be a great hire for them.

Agree. Success in the g league as a coach and nba pedigree should help him recruit. Look at the guys penny has reales in at memphis already.

Thing that impressed me with Stackhouse is just how long he lasted. He was in the league for like 18 years. Many years after his athleticism had faded, he was still a valuable player. Same thing Vince Carter has done. Rasheed was around forever too.

I gotta think it speaks to the program Dean Smith ran that those guys had rock solid fundamentals, skills, and knowledge of the game that allowed them to succeed long after their young legs had gone away. Stack went to Oak Hill and Rasheed went to Simon Gratz. Legendary coaches and programs there too that probably helped.

Jerry came to my work with Dominique Wilkins a few years ago for a diabetes prevention program. Nique was a bit more outgoing but Jerry seemed like a good guy. What does this have to do with him coaching Vanderbilt? Nothing really

I hope he does well. I'm not sure coaching in the g league translates to coaching college. I have not looked at his background for coaching. I think the college game is a lot harder to coach because you have to recruit and keep an eye on them. Plus he is coaching against some seasoned coaches with success in regards to x and o's and recruiting.

I hope he does well. I'm not sure coaching in the g league translates to coaching college. I have not looked at his background for coaching. I think the college game is a lot harder to coach because you have to recruit and keep an eye on them. Plus he is coaching against some seasoned coaches with success in regards to x and o's and recruiting.

Vandy is a tough gig too.

Jerry came to my work with Dominique Wilkins a few years ago for a diabetes prevention program. Nique was a bit more outgoing but Jerry seemed like a good guy. What does this have to do with him coaching Vanderbilt? Nothing really

I know Stackhouse has had multiple siblings die from complications from diabetes.

He was one of my favorite non Syracuse players as a kid.

I know Stackhouse has had multiple siblings die from complications from diabetes.

He was one of my favorite non Syracuse players as a kid.

You are correct. Jerry had two sisters and his parents diagnosed so his whole family and Dominique himself was diagnosed with it after his playing career. That one blew me away - one wouldn't think that would be a disease that would impact a former athlete who still appeared to keep himself in pretty good shape.

You are correct. Jerry had two sisters and his parents diagnosed so his whole family and Dominique himself was diagnosed with it after his playing career. That one blew me away - one wouldn't think that would be a disease that would impact a former athlete who still appeared to keep himself in pretty good shape.

Yeah, Dominique looked good the last time I saw him on TV so that one is a surprise.

Thinking back on it, I’m pretty sure Stackhouse’s mother’s health was a big factor in him turning pro early back in ‘95 when that wasn’t a given.