Verizon threatens conf networks | Syracusefan.com

Verizon threatens conf networks

I suspect that a hybrid/compromise will be reached. This would pair a (much) lower per-subscriber rate and a potentially higher per-unique view rate.

The technology certainly exists to do this.
Service providers have known for years exactly which channels & shows are being watched as well as which are being recorded.

Either not all of Verizon's customers with access to "expensive" sports channels are actually watching those channel, or they expect that this will be the case. Couple that with market pricing pressure or potential legal/government actions and it's causing them to (try to) move away from the straight "we'll just pass the cost on to the consumer" model... at least for some programming segments (read sports).

This is the one thing that could humble Delaney and the Big 10. Im glad that the Acc is not solely looking at its own network for other revenue opportunities. This digital content deal that I keep hearing that the Acc is working on seems to be a solid plan for the future.

Service providers have known for years exactly which channels & shows are being watched as well as which are being recorded.

Either not all of Verizon's customers with access to "expensive" sports channels are actually watching those channel, or they expect that this will be the case. Couple that with market pricing pressure or potential legal/government actions and it's causing them to (try to) move away from the straight "we'll just pass the cost on to the consumer" model... at least for some programming segments (read sports).

Most definitely. I'm pretty familiar with the set top boxes and they can also tell a provider which commercials you're watching, when scrolling through the guide which programs you stop and hit the 'info' button on and a slew of other data they can track.

I agree with the other poster that there will probably have to be some kind of compromise.

and just how do these boxes report this information?
For cable set top boxes its straight forward as these have 2-way communication for their CableCARD and typically have a built-in cable modem.

For satellite providers, either via phone or Internet. My DirecTV boxes are connected to the Internet to allow access to some on-demand programming ... that same connection allows the boxes to send viewing info back to the mother ship.

With cable- and phone- TV providers heading to a hybrid QAM/IP model, it becomes even easier.

I know its possible. but a large number of the boxes dont have that set up. I have directv and none of my equipment has any connection. cable doesn't require a box and OTA gives them no feed back.

So they can get the information, but its also very incomplete

All "digital" boxes provided (errr, leased) by service providers have this capability. If your satellite box is not connected then you're right... you also won't be able to order PPV, etc..

Each provider has their own data. They will share-it/sell-it as they see fit.

If you are one of the few who have a CableCARD ready TV and don't have a set top box then your data won't be collected, neither will OTA data... then again, the programming we're talking about (BTN, ESPN, etc.) isn't available via OTA.

Nielsen is there to provide industry-wide data.

When a provider (re-)negotiates with a sports network they will push their data when it's advantageous to them (as Verizon as doing now), while the content providers will use Nielsen coupled with their "all or nothing" extortion attempts.

I know its possible. but a large number of the boxes dont have that set up. I have directv and none of my equipment has any connection. cable doesn't require a box and OTA gives them no feed back.

So they can get the information, but its also very incomplete

OTA is going the way of the dinosaur and like moontan says w're talking premium channels here. While what u say is true that its incomplete the fact is that millions upon millions of subscribers with set top boxes gives them a pretty good sample size for identifying trends.

The set top box technology is improving just like everything else. its basically a mini computer and anytime the user hits a button on that remote the box has the technology to record the info. TWC's new interactive guide was somewhat designed with this in mind. It's not just about the 'user experience'' it's also about how much data they can collect.

There's a company called viggle thats partnered with providers like direct tv and they have a technology that knows what your watching. You 'check in' to a show, the technology knows for how long and you earn points for that duration, which can then be redeemed for gift cards. Check it out - there's some holes for sure but they're pretty slick. They happen to be one of my customers.

It would be funny to see the proliferation of conference networks be the reason for all of the tumultuous realignment, only to have that model rendered irrelevant in 5-10 years.

It has to happen - and would be very ironic.

what is interesting is why the companies are allowed to look at the information of who is watching what.. the internet companies have the same information on who is going to web sites and are not allowed to use it. the phone companies know who you are calling and are not allowed to us it why are the cable companies allowed to use what you are watching?

why dont privacy laws apply? seems like there should be some opt out type ability for those who don't want to be watched.

what is interesting is why the companies are allowed to look at the information of who is watching what.. the internet companies have the same information on who is going to web sites and are not allowed to use it. the phone companies know who you are calling and are not allowed to us it why are the cable companies allowed to use what you are watching?

why dont privacy laws apply? seems like there should be some opt out type ability for those who don't want to be watched.
Who says that that other data isn't used? Google knows not only how many hits its pages get, but from what countries and which ISPs.

Everything is anonymized. Video service providers won't know exactly who watched what, but they'll know how many set tops were tuned to a particular program/channel. They'll know how many households with BTN access actually watch it.

It would be funny to see the proliferation of conference networks be the reason for all of the tumultuous realignment, only to have that model rendered irrelevant in 5-10 years.

This will happen. Seriously, I know people are used to me complaining about realignment but what I've never understood is the logic behind adding random teams and then signing huge new TV contracts. Like the Big 10 adding two teams no one cares about -- least of all their own fans -- and then suggesting they did it for the benefit of the conference and the money and all that stuff. Bizarre.

Anyway, the point, as always, the best conferences will be the ones with the best regional rivalries and nationally relevant teams. All of this realignment will be undone when the TV money shakes out down the road. It's also going to make the massive spikes in facilities spending and coaches salaries disastrous for many programs and perhaps the sport as a whole.

We all saw this coming. This is why all the B1G rumors involving UNC, Duke, FSU, etc. are BS. The money projections they're throwing out there right now are fantasy.

Rutgers fans will just have to leave their TV's on.

that will mean that the power companies will still be able to sell all excess power that is generated to delaware residents

We all saw this coming. This is why all the B1G rumors involving UNC, Duke, FSU, etc. are BS. The money projections they're throwing out there right now are fantasy.

The only thing keeping FSU from the B1G is the B1G and frankly, I'm glad that's the case. As it stands today, Rutgers will have a East Division slate consisting of:

Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Maryland
Indiana
Penn State

That is Big Boy football. The addition of more ACC schools would only threaten that lineup.

The only thing keeping FSU from the B1G is the B1G and frankly, I'm glad that's the case. As it stands today, Rutgers will have a East Division slate consisting of:

Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Maryland
Indiana
Penn State

That is Big Boy football. The addition of more ACC schools would only threaten that lineup.
why would you come here and just beg for a Rutgers bashing session with that comment? I don't get it...

Good luck!

When the Big East was strong, the Scarlets were permanent residents of the cellar. Only through the initial exodus and a terrible hire in CNY, were the 'girls able to see a bit of daylight. Enjoy 2013, as it will be the last chance to do so. Starting in 2014, the Scarlets will return to the dungeon.

Like I said, good luck!
Oh, and, good bye!

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php...uld-be-disastrous-for-conference-tv-networks/

big 10 valuations=garbage
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yep, the Big 10 has been counting on the sustainability of a programming model that is under attack, due to technology and greed (cable TV companies just charge too damn much). This kind of pricing is inevitable, and it makes the Big 10's decision to add a crappy program like Rutgers in order to get their cable TV households look like a bad decision, long term.

Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Maryland
Indiana
Penn State

It definitely is big boy football. You need headliners. You have 3. You need ditchdiggers too. You have 3. Then one middle of the road team in East Lansing.