Verizon threatens conf networks | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Verizon threatens conf networks

Yep, the Big 10 has been counting on the sustainability of a programming model that is under attack, due to technology and greed (cable TV companies just charge too damn much). This kind of pricing is inevitable, and it makes the Big 10's decision to add a crappy program like Rutgers in order to get their cable TV households look like a bad decision, long term.

i don't think it's greed, i think it's just competition. i doubt verizon is being selfless here.

The only thing keeping FSU from the B1G is the B1G and frankly, I'm glad that's the case. As it stands today, Rutgers will have a East Division slate consisting of:

Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Maryland
Indiana
Penn State

That is Big Boy football. The addition of more ACC schools would only threaten that lineup.

LOL...it sure isn't 'big boy football' because of anything having to do with Indiana, Maryland, or, Rutgers.

Just thank God that RU got plucked from the BE because of its location. They sure didn't pick you because of your great athletic accomplishments. Make plans to remodel your basement. Because that is where you'll be returning to in quick order.

This is the one thing that could humble Delaney and the Big 10. Im glad that the Acc is not solely looking at its own network for other revenue opportunities. This digital content deal that I keep hearing that the Acc is working on seems to be a solid plan for the future.

Agreed. Folks will keep cutting the cable cord, but, they'll keep their internet connections. And, that can stand the ACC in good stead going forward.

I agree 1000% that long-run web based ACC content is the way to go...in five years the smart TV (internet enabled) will have penetrated more than 80% of the US market.

But I do wonder if some of the commentary coming from the realignment source everyone relies on here is maybe a bit rose colored when it comes to this particular issue. No slam on Arb, he seems to be way ahead of the curve on a bunch of stuff and it's a treat to have him here for sure. But the line of reasoning on this seems to be that ESPN and the ACC are seeking to preempt the move to ala-carte by creating a digital ESPN3 style network for ACC content - as if they are in on some secret and everyone else is out in the cold on this one. That would be nice, but then why is the SEC reportedly going to launch a network this summer - wouldn't ESPN be sharing their competitive strategy in the media business with their biggest contractual partner?? Just wondering - if this is such a great thing for the ACC, why wouldn't the SEC go that route as well? It may be a difference in their contract structure, it may be a difference in the demographics of their fan base, or it may be that the ACC is getting the shaft in this...I am not sure, but would love to hear thoughts on this.

I agree 1000% that long-run web based ACC content is the way to go...in five years the smart TV (internet enabled) will have penetrated more than 80% of the US market.

But I do wonder if some of the commentary coming from the realignment source everyone relies on here is maybe a bit rose colored when it comes to this particular issue. No slam on Arb, he seems to be way ahead of the curve on a bunch of stuff and it's a treat to have him here for sure. But the line of reasoning on this seems to be that ESPN and the ACC are seeking to preempt the move to ala-carte by creating a digital ESPN3 style network for ACC content - as if they are in on some secret and everyone else is out in the cold on this one. That would be nice, but then why is the SEC reportedly going to launch a network this summer - wouldn't ESPN be sharing their competitive strategy in the media business with their biggest contractual partner?? Just wondering - if this is such a great thing for the ACC, why wouldn't the SEC go that route as well? It may be a difference in their contract structure, it may be a difference in the demographics of their fan base, or it may be that the ACC is getting the shaft in this...I am not sure, but would love to hear thoughts on this.
These are great points, and I would venture that perhaps the SEC Network project was more than half-finished, and what's occurring is that the technology is starting to render the situation moot. The ACC has a chance to adjust accordingly to those subtle shifts, whereas the B1G, LHN, and now SECN, are persumably working under the old model.
Its the equivalent of a country fighting their enemies based on the last war. The conference network model will have to be tweaked, and that will likely lower income projections. The tactics that were in play when these networks were configured, are rapidly evolving- and it might actually serve the ACC well in the long run. Lets hope so.