Vermont Game Preview (3/6/21, 1pm) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Vermont Game Preview (3/6/21, 1pm)

This won’t be an easy game, high confidence in the team can sometimes result In a loss. We have to be ready to take another step forward and play just as hard as we did against UVA.

Vermont bring a very different style and present a totally different prospect offensively! Lots of 2 man and one handed play will test our Def and SSDMs. Communication and preparation is key.

If we can win possessions from face offs, clear the ball to a high percentage and be a little more patient in possession, this should do the trick. We need to take time off the clock offensively early and what I call cutting their throat with a goal at the end of it, this should wear Vermont down. I don’t think Vermont defensively can hang with us.

It is important that we go into this game prepared and ready for a fight. It would be great to get the bench a bit more PT and get production from Chase and Buttermore.
I’d rather see them run and run and run and wear Vermont out that way. Too much risk of 1v1 and 10 other guys standing around watching if they hold the ball.

all good points. Brought me back from my tendency to underestimate the next opponent. The UVA game does not matter in the Vermont game.

SU's defense will need to be prepared as I assume Vermont will do a lot more 2 man game and ball movement then UVA who was more of a 1 on 1 ISO type of team or dodge from up top with a converted attackmen.

This won’t be an easy game, high confidence in the team can sometimes result In a loss. We have to be ready to take another step forward and play just as hard as we did against UVA.

Vermont bring a very different style and present a totally different prospect offensively! Lots of 2 man and one handed play will test our Def and SSDMs. Communication and preparation is key.

If we can win possessions from face offs, clear the ball to a high percentage and be a little more patient in possession, this should do the trick. We need to take time off the clock offensively early and what I call cutting their throat with a goal at the end of it, this should wear Vermont down. I don’t think Vermont defensively can hang with us.

It is important that we go into this game prepared and ready for a fight. It would be great to get the bench a bit more PT and get production from Chase and Buttermore.

I don't expect SU to slow down much, the first two games they have not hesitated to pull the trigger early and often. I can recall two shot clock issues I think total in the first two games. I think the key will be to get good shots. Scanlan pressing and shooting into Cornell's chest isn't going to help us for sure. I do think SU will try and push when possible to wear out Vermont as they are not a deep team and haven't faced an offense anywhere as explosive as us (Bryant and Umass-Lowell) so far this season. SU's key will be to take good shots and not turn the ball over a ton, the second being imperative.

I don't believe Vermont is much of a riding team, that shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
Hard to find much footage of Vermont, all I could really find was this short highlight video from their win over UMass Lowell. Not too much to glean, but you get a sense for how large McCormick and McConvey are.

As Powellfan pointed out: Hiltz listed as starter on attack, Cook listed on second midfield (along with Ferris). Still five defenders listed at close, including Kennedy.

SULAX2021DepthUVM.png

As Powellfan pointed out: Hiltz listed as starter on attack, Cook listed on second midfield (along with Ferris). Still five defenders listed at close, including Kennedy.

View attachment 197482

Are we going off this for starters for the game or is this just a stat collection and what to expect?
If this is starters, then it has BK back at close...

Are we going off this for starters for the game or is this just a stat collection and what to expect?
If this is starters, then it has BK back at close...

Just a stat collection. They had Cook listed as a starter on attack last week, and that didn’t happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom