Very encouraged | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Very encouraged

KU only had 8 scholarship players. SU got killed in the paint. Our centers our passive and too thin for big physical teams. But like Bee's said the team could have quit but didn't. I'd say we are a borderline NCAA tournament team. That is okay this year...we hopefully will fight and claw to 20-22 wins.

I think key to the season is going to be Oshae. Need him to be more efficient en route to puting up 12-16 pts a game. Can't afford to have him take 13 shots and only make 3.
Agree he will be a big key. I think his problem right now is figuring out how to put all of his offensive pieces together and be in control of them. Too many times he seems to get amped up and just do "something" rather than knowing the best thing to do.

Encouraged by tonight. So many inexperienced errors. Our potential stood out. KU is just too deep and balanced for us. Graham was a dagger. We learned a lot tonight and I feel good about the year. JB coached the ass off the youth in a good way. Last year we get wiped by 30. This was good in the arc of the season.

As much as I was in our wins, maybe more. We just played the #2 team in the country who is one of the favorites to win the NC and who has 1-2 AA's. We got punched in the mouth, got down by 21, but got right up off the mat and fought back. But we aren't a national championship caliber team and that's OK. There is no quit in this team and these guys showed they can compete with the very best and look like a legit NCAAT team. Don't underestimate just how good Kansas is.

And we played poorly. We iso more and have battle/brisset drive or hit wife open threes, and its a close game.

I liked the way the team fought back, did not like how they stopped driving after getting to 9 then falling back to -12 . Seem to revert to settling for jump shots and losing the rebound instead of keep on driving or driving and dishing.

So happy to read this thread, with so many in the know feeling good. Reading other forums, and facebook groups tonight, plus one friend who is being a huge Debbie Downer tonight...said the team is not smart etc. Let's be real folks, like many here are being. Lots of good to take from this game.

I'm encouraged. As a team, we didn't look outmatched at all.

Both teams struggled with the other teams defense and their star player outplayed our star player.

That's really what it came down to - If Battle played like Graham and Graham played like Battle, we'd have won.

Kansas is clearly the better team, but if Dolezaj can develop throughout the season so the PF spot gives us something, I think we'll be a tough team come tourney time led by our defense, rebounding and FH/TB/OB.

So happy to read this thread, with so many in the know feeling good. Reading other forums, and facebook groups tonight, plus one friend who is being a huge Debbie Downer tonight...said the team is not smart etc. Let's be real folks, like many here are being. Lots of good to take from this game.
Forget about those guys and hang out with us all the time! :)

Also encouraged by tonight. Get Tyus to 100%, clean up the missed bunnies by the big guys and avoid Devonte Graham and we'll be fine.

Graham was awesome. Legit 1st team AA.

For sure on Graham. That's why today was a good learning opportunity for Frank--he won't face too many [if any] opponents better than that. He looked composed and even keeled -- good sign.

Encouraged that we outrebounded them, too. This team has a ways to go offensively, but the potential is there for our squad to be much, more dangerous in four months. Lots of room to improve, and some interesting components for JB to work with.

I too am encouraged by the grit and hustle and I love guys flying around creating chaos. That said, the back line defense has been an absolute killer. That and the missed dunk and layups by the centers really hurt.

I was listening to someone on the radio yesterday on Brent axe and he made a good point-why are we happy with being mediocre? He was talking about the football team? Why do we strive for 6 wins? It’s kind of pathetic and depressing as a fan base to want that or make that our goal every year for football. Now for basketball we used to be the team that would beat Kansas in the early part of the year now and lately these Syracuse teams I’d say not so much. My
Point is Why are we happy or encouraged that our basketball team hung in there with Kansas? That’s not what I expect from a Syracuse basketball team and I’m not going to settle for losing by five or ten points and saying well it’s ok that we lost.

I was listening to someone on the radio yesterday on Brent axe and he made a good point-why are we happy with being mediocre? He was talking about the football team? Why do we strive for 6 wins? It’s kind of pathetic and depressing as a fan base to want that or make that our goal every year for football. Now for basketball we used to be the team that would beat Kansas in the early part of the year now and lately these Syracuse teams I’d say not so much. My
Point is Why are we happy or encouraged that our basketball team hung in there with Kansas? That’s not what I expect from a Syracuse basketball team and I’m not going to settle for losing by five or ten points and saying well it’s ok that we lost.
I'm not in love with that sentiment either but we're getting out of sanctions, have a couple Final 4's in our back pocket recently and should be a Top 10 caliber squad next year.

We are young and inexperienced as hell this year. Just a few weeks ago people wondered if we were a .500 team. Wondered if this would be JB's worst season. Today helped answer those questions.

Nobody’s denying that, but it would’ve been nice to make him beat us by putting the ball on the floor. Can’t let AA players just step into their shots. This was Huerter part 2.

Yea, except it wasn't exactly like that. Many of those 3's were with a hand in his face. Give the man credit.

Yea, except it wasn't exactly like that. Many of those 3's were with a hand in his face. Give the man credit.
Too many of his shot attempts the guards failed to locate him. Raising a hand towards the shooter after he’s already into his shooting motion is too late.

Too many of his shot attempts the guards failed to locate him. Raising a hand towards the shooter after he’s already into his shooting motion is too late.
They moved the ball great. That is why they are so good.

They moved the ball great. That is why they are so good.
Same thing happened vs Terps. Ball goes into post. Battle and Howard turn to help the post and lose track of where the hot shooter is. The guards need to stay home and let the front line manage the post.

KU only had 8 scholarship players. SU got killed in the paint. Our centers our passive and too thin for big physical teams. But like Bee's said the team could have quit but didn't. I'd say we are a borderline NCAA tournament team. That is okay this year...we hopefully will fight and claw to 20-22 wins.

Our thin centers made udoka azubuike who is 7'0 280 a non factor. Is he not big and physical enough? Yea they gave up some back door lobs which always happens when you play a zone like we do but our interior defense has been pretty good...i keep hearing everyone say wait until we play big physical teams from the power 5...what would u consider Kansas? It's not like our thin centers are getting pushed around and teams are playing bully ball against us...no one has played bully ball against us yet. Graham killed us. Period.

I'm encouraged. As a team, we didn't look outmatched at all.

Both teams struggled with the other teams defense and their star player outplayed our star player.

That's really what it came down to - If Battle played like Graham and Graham played like Battle, we'd have won.

Kansas is clearly the better team, but if Dolezaj can develop throughout the season so the PF spot gives us something, I think we'll be a tough team come tourney time led by our defense, rebounding and FH/TB/OB.

I know - I feel like ultimately a lot may depend on Dolezaj developing - not a ton, but enough where we can count on him to score a bit against better teams when opportunities present themselves. He seemed out of sorts today - hopefully next time around against top-tier competition he looks a bit better. Worst case scenario, he's active on the boards and keeps giving us that.

Graham was a monster.

We played a better team, but they weren't better by that much. They were more experienced. And we were without a PG for an important stretch, the stretch that determined the tone and result of the game. If Frankie doesn't get a quick 2 and 3 fouls, it's a contest all the way.

I wasn't impressed by Kansas' talent, aside from Graham. We matched up with them pretty well. A healthy Battle, more Howard, and it's a ballgame.

Didn't watch JB's presser, but yeah, the zone wasn't effective. Graham — people are saying he was shooting from beyond the range where M2M would have covered him? Come on. If we were in man and he hits one, the guy assigned to him would have personal responsibility to make sure he didn't do it again. He got open a bunch more times because no one had personal responsibility. For whatever reason, more attention was paid to Huerter when he was doing deeper damage. Graham is good, but he wasn't challenged that much. Funny thing about the zone is how commentators react to it. They talked about it so often, as if it were actually doing damage to Kansas. All while Kansas was leading, and the #2 team in the country, playing M2M was taking more away from us than we were taking away from them. Doesn't matter if you love JB or the zone or don't, there's a disconnect between what was happening versus what was being discussed.

I liked Oshae, but he too often settles for 3s. I don't think, as a freshman, he should be greenlit to that extent. The offense needs help. It devolves too quickly into one-on-one. Seems like that's 90% of our game. Which is just silly. You can't make less-talented players work so hard for points.

We're going to beat some people this year. I have no idea where we'll end up in conference, not having seen anyone else except duke. I can really see us being in the same place as last year, as the year before. NCAAs? God. No clue. So much is going to depend on the health of Sidibe. If Marek has to play center again, i'm gonna plotz. Not sure why Moyer isn't the emergency C, i hope it isn't because Marek is an eighth inch taller.

You are totally under-rating Graham's floor game today. The string of 3-pointers was the coup de grace, but he had already softened up our zone with his decision-making and passing. He was excellent on the alley oop, and did a great job feeding Vick in the high post against our tall guards. In short, he totally facilitated the KU offense at all 3 levels. And if we had pressed up more on him, he likely would have beat us off the dribble and got to the middle of the zone that way.

We played a better team, but they weren't better by that much. They were more experienced. And we were without a PG for an important stretch, the stretch that determined the tone and result of the game. If Frankie doesn't get a quick 2 and 3 fouls, it's a contest all the way.

I wasn't impressed by Kansas' talent, aside from Graham. We matched up with them pretty well. A healthy Battle, more Howard, and it's a ballgame.

Didn't watch JB's presser, but yeah, the zone wasn't effective. Graham — people are saying he was shooting from beyond the range where M2M would have covered him? Come on. If we were in man and he hits one, the guy assigned to him would have personal responsibility to make sure he didn't do it again. He got open a bunch more times because no one had personal responsibility. For whatever reason, more attention was paid to Huerter when he was doing deeper damage. Graham is good, but he wasn't challenged that much. Funny thing about the zone is how commentators react to it. They talked about it so often, as if it were actually doing damage to Kansas. All while Kansas was leading, and the #2 team in the country, playing M2M was taking more away from us than we were taking away from them. Doesn't matter if you love JB or the zone or don't, there's a disconnect between what was happening versus what was being discussed.

I liked Oshae, but he too often settles for 3s. I don't think, as a freshman, he should be greenlit to that extent. The offense needs help. It devolves too quickly into one-on-one. Seems like that's 90% of our game. Which is just silly. You can't make less-talented players work so hard for points.

We're going to beat some people this year. I have no idea where we'll end up in conference, not having seen anyone else except duke. I can really see us being in the same place as last year, as the year before. NCAAs? God. No clue. So much is going to depend on the health of Sidibe. If Marek has to play center again, i'm gonna plotz. Not sure why Moyer isn't the emergency C, i hope it isn't because Marek is an eighth inch taller.

The zone held them to 20 points under their scoring average and half their points came from one guy. They won but it wasn't because of the zone per se. It was our lazy offense which settled for chucking 3's for much of the game. Our drives to the hoop gashed their defense but we gave up on that when we got it to 7, I assume due to a combo of fatigue and youthful immaturity. They will learn from this and get better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom