Very excited about tonight's game | Syracusefan.com

Very excited about tonight's game

RF2044

Living Legend
Very excited to kick off the 2014-2015 season with tonight's game! Although this team has a TON of question marks / unproven players stepping into important roles, I'm confident that this team will prove to be better than many prognosticators believe. It is going to be exciting to see how quickly this crew comes together--because despite all of the question marks, this team has a TON of talent / potential. Here's what I'm going to be paying attention to in tonight and over the course of the next few games [in no particular order]:
  • How well does our frosh point guard, Kaleb Joseph, play now that the games are for real?
  • Will Rakim Christmas sustain his solid preseason play?
  • Will the team actually get him the ball in the post?
  • Does Trevor Cooney show more consistency with his shot?
  • Will Ron Patterson continue his strong preseason play, or was that outside shooting a mirage?
  • For that matter, will Michael Gbinije?
  • Will these two provide us with much needed bench scoring that last year's team lacked?
  • Can BJ Johnson carve out a spot in the rotation with his outside shot and versatility?
  • Will Chinoso Obokoh carve out a spot as a backup, or is he a year away?
  • Does Chris McCullough give us a presence inside, or is he too much of a finesse player at this stage?
  • Will Tyler Roberson build upon last game's performance and continue to get comfortable out there, or is he this year's token starter?
  • We have lots of potential shooters to stretch the floor on this year's squad, but will it translate into improved offensive performance, or will the team continue to be anemic offensively?
  • Will we improve defensively at the top of the zone?
LOTS to be excited about with this year's squad--can't want to see what they're capable of!

Let's Go Orange!!!

Last edited:
Here's what I'm going to be paying attention to in tonight's debut [in no particular order]:
  • How well does our frosh point guard, Kaleb Joseph, play now that the games are for real?
  • Will Rakim Christmas sustain his solid preseason play?
  • Will the team actually get him the ball in the post?
  • Does Trevor Cooney show more consistency with his shot?
  • Will Ron Patterson continue his strong preseason play, or was that outside shooting a mirage?
  • For that matter, will Michael Gbinije?
  • Will these two provide us with much needed bench scoring that last year's team lacked?
  • Can BJ Johnson carve out a spot in the rotation with his outside shot and versatility?
  • Will Chinoso Obokoh carve out a spot as a backup, or is he a year away?
  • Does Chris McCullough give us a presence inside, or is he too much of a finesse player at this stage?
  • Will Tyler Roberson build upon last game's performance and continue to get comfortable out there, or is he this year's token starter?
LOTS to be excited about with this year's squad--can't want to see what they're capable of!

Let's Go Orange!!!
these unknowns are one of the reasons I love college basketball! Great post RF

Last edited:
Me reading this thread and waiting for the game to start...

Untitled.png

Good questions RF 2044, but I do not think they will be answered tonight. Kennesaw is too weak. They only won 6 games last season against very weak competition and they are not any stronger this year. Maybe Sunday against Hampton (3 times as many wins last year). However, we are a week away from our first real test and I think the answers will come then.

Good questions RF 2044, but I do not think they will be answered tonight. Kennesaw is too weak. They only won 6 games last season against very weak competition and they are not any stronger this year. Maybe Sunday against Hampton (3 times as many wins last year). However, we are a week away from our first real test and I think the answers will come then.
they did add a Memphis transfer who was a 4 star recruit this year and return all their starters plus they changed coaches in the middle of last season but I agree we should blow them out.

I won't watch live tonight but I've learned with ESPN3 weekend morning replays allow me to be interrupted much less. Its not a game I envision us losing even if we struggle so it works.

A couple of predictions:
Tyler and BJ really look the part in this game.
Chris has a huge first official college game . . . like 20 and 10

In other words the forward position which probably has the most question marks gives us great reason to be optimistic.

If Roberson can play as he is capable and not be scared..this team will be very successful this year.

To me the success of the season depends on the forwards improving and playing well on both ends. This limits Rakeem's exposure to fouls and gives our offense the boost it needs. We cannot hide being thin at center but I like the backcourt a lot (including Mike in that) and I like our forwards but they have to produce, improve and get some seasoning.

To me the success of the season depends on the forwards improving and playing well on both ends. This limits Rakeem's exposure to fouls and gives our offense the boost it needs. We cannot hide being thin at center but I like the backcourt a lot (including Mike in that) and I like our forwards but they have to produce, improve and get some seasoning.

And those forwards could be a LOT better in January than they are right now. The growing pains will be worth it in the long run.

And those forwards could be a LOT better in January than they are right now. The growing pains will be worth it in the long run.
One thing I think we are all hoping for is that the offense is more uptempo with KJ and this should benefit the forwards a lot. Once McCullough and Roberson realize how easy they should be able to slash to the hoop in an uptempo offense before the defense is set will provide them with many foul shots. I made a comment either during or after the Carleton game that hopefully they can both be 80% FT shooters. McCullough shot 17 Ft's in the two exhibition games. If he continues that, shooting say 6-8 from the line (75%) all he needs to do is to make 5 baskets a game and he is averaging 16 ppg.

One thing I think we are all hoping for is that the offense is more uptempo with KJ and this should benefit the forwards a lot. Once McCullough and Roberson realize how easy they should be able to slash to the hoop in an uptempo offense before the defense is set will provide them with many foul shots. I made a comment either during or after the Carleton game that hopefully they can both be 80% FT shooters. McCullough shot 17 Ft's in the two exhibition games. If he continues that, shooting say 6-8 from the line (75%) all he needs to do is to make 5 baskets a game and he is averaging 16 ppg.

Because of the FT's I had Chris as my leading scorer in the prediction thread at just over 17 I think. I see him like Joseph as a sophomore getting to the line very often. As he adjusts to the size and physicality of D1 bball and begins to finish watch out.

Because of the FT's I had Chris as my leading scorer in the prediction thread at just over 17 I think. I see him like Joseph as a sophomore getting to the line very often. As he adjusts to the size and physicality of D1 bball and begins to finish watch out.
It's the one huge difference so far between McCullough and Donte Greene. It took Donte all season to realize that he could score inside just as easy as outside. Otherwise Donte would have averaged 20ppg.

It's the one huge difference so far between McCullough and Donte Greene. It took Donte all season to realize that he could score inside just as easy as outside. Otherwise Donte would have averaged 20ppg.

I think Donte was a better shooter than Chris as well but I agree Chris seems to have the mind set to at least use his length to crash in there and get fouled around the rim. He has been persistent in attacking the basket. I'd have to look at his shot chart but I bet he only took 5 jumpers in the two exhibitions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom