Very impressive second half | Syracusefan.com

Very impressive second half

RF2044

Living Legend
Much more active defensively. Did a much better job on the glass. Rak came to life. Patterson with an impressive "Microwave" performance--bodes well. Gbinije really rebounded well!

Most importantly, we scored 46 in the second half, erasing a 9 point halftime lead against a VERY GOOD, veteran team that has been destroying teams in these exhibitions.

Coming back on these guys is not an easy thing to do.

It was ugly, but you can see the amino acids of a good team potentially congealing into something good.

This team may have better offensive balance than what we have been used to the past few years. But, we will see if that is true over the next few weeks

It was ugly, but you can see the amino acids of a good team potentially congealing into something good.

Impressive use of words! It's like sophomore biology all over again. Drop some more science knowledge on me professor!

Much better than I expected. I thought it would have been a full game like the first half.

Love that Rak seems to have taken a substantial step forward. Will see how he fares against legit big men, but he certainly is playing more aggressively.

Patterson plays 5x his natural ability. Great job by him in the second half to get things rolling.

Like what I saw from Joseph throughout the game. Thought he played very well considering it's his first game against competition in this level. Thought he played under control throughout the game and did a nice job of handling the point guard duties.

Thought McCullough had a nice game. He rebounded pretty well though they are undersized. Nice to see him make a couple of outside shots we're going to need his range against really good teams.

I thought silent G played very well did a lot of good things out there. He really rebounded very well.

Trevor is Trevor at this point. I don't think we'll ever see him really be a consistent great shooter we will just have to take his streaky shots when we can get them.

The only really disappointing player today really was Roberson. He for some shots and really look out of sync with the rest of his teammates. But he did rebound the ball well which we know he's going to have to do for us to be good.

Bottom line is that this team really doesn't have a superstar. We're going to have to get performances like Pattersons every game out for us to be consistent winners.

But overall I was happy with what I saw on the court today. I think we have some decent chemistry and once these younger players get more comfortable we should be competitive.

Much more active defensively. Did a much better job on the glass. Rak came to life. Patterson with an impressive "Microwave" performance--bodes well. Gbinije really rebounded well!

Most importantly, we scored 46 in the second half, erasing a 9 point halftime lead against a VERY GOOD, veteran team that has been destroying teams in these exhibitions.

Coming back on these guys is not an easy thing to do.

Got hammered on the boards overall, but G certainly did his part. Whether he starts or not, G is going to get 35 mins a game.

Patterson made a difference today on both ends. Hope he continues to get run every game.

Rac got in a groove once the entry passes were made from the top down, rather than from the wing. His ability to handle and drive from the foul line when they inverted him and CM, also is a very positive sign. This team is going to struggle from the perimeter without the inside scoring threats.

Good win over a very disciplined, well coached, and experienced team.

Thought McCullough had a nice game. He rebounded pretty well though they are undersized. Nice to see him make a couple of outside shots we're going to need his range against really good teams.

Bottom line is that this team really doesn't have a superstar. We're going to have to get performances like Pattersons every game out for us to be consistent winners.

But overall I was happy with what I saw on the court today. I think we have some decent chemistry and once these younger players get more comfortable we should be competitive.

I thought for McCullough's first game he showed a lot inside and out. I think he will be a joy to watch this season. I remember it took Donte Greene a long time to realize that he could score (and get to the line) by driving and playing in the paint. McCullough's game, albeit only one so far, looks much further developed than Donte.

Last edited:
A lot of teams would have folded the tents after we cut the lead to two and they responded and went up double digits again. Also, JB made some halftime adjustments as usual. I didn't see the interior bounce pass layups in the second half and we covered the guys that could beat us from three. Holding them to 29 points in the 2nd half was excellent defense. Very nice win for such a young team. Kudos to Rak for a very dominating half of basketball. LGO.

I've said that Rak is just a role player. Today was the best I've ever seen him play. I would love to wrong and see the kid become a legitimately good player this year. He really showed some excellent skill on the offensive end Hope he continues it

Also I would say that that both Joseph and CMac, are one and done.

I look forward to watching the replay of the game. It was hard to get the players synced up with their numbers. I really don't know what anyone looks like. Patterson getting rid of the locks made me sad because (1) he looked good, (2) more importantly, he was easy to identify. Very glad BJ is keeping the headband. I am sure he was frustrated that he didn't get any points. As far as I remember, he didn't take any shots. But they weren't coming to him like they were coming to Patterson. It was really fun to watch the game and SEE the energy flow and how certain moments were IT. And Patterson was usually there to catch the wave. Great execution.

Cooney needs to take one more second. He never once caught the wave in this game. I wish Boeheim would have taken him out in the second half, let him rest, and give BJ more of an opportunity. (Please, don't mix me up with who plays what position and how that doesn't make sense!) Christmas was hapless in the first half. I was stunned by it, actually. I don't know what happened in the second half, but suddenly he was on.

Was Roberson in the dog house with JB?

Joseph twisted his ankle or did something with his foot. Didn't seem serious but at the very end of the game he didn't dribble down court, instead was fiddling with his shoe or something by his ankle. I was shocked when I looked up and saw he had scored 17! McCullough saved us in the first half. Silent G steady.

Very disappointed in the student section. No one was there! You would think after that football game yesterday they would be in their seats, slavering like dogs. No excuses! Even though the house was not very full and we were all pretty tepid in the first half, it was fun to see and feel everything coming to life in the second half. I honestly didn't expect to win the game, and suddenly it became important. Not life and death important, but important enough...

I went to the Ravens section at half time to find Doug, who had been posting on our board, but no one knew him. I had a nice chit chat with some of the fans, and we were mutually complimentary about each other's teams. (At that point, I was pretty sure we were going to lose the game, and my compliments were very sincere. Ha ha!)

Going to watch the replay now. It will help me sound smarter. SO GLAD BBALL HAS STARTED!

If Roberson keeps jacking up 15-20 footers, he'll be eating a lot of Alpo this season.

He takes a horrible shot. He misses. He sits.

EDIT: A picture is worth 1000 words...

Tyler%20Roberson.JPG

Last edited:
Much better than I expected. I thought it would have been a full game like the first half.

Love that Rak seems to have taken a substantial step forward. Will see how he fares against legit big men, but he certainly is playing more aggressively.

Patterson plays 5x his natural ability. Great job by him in the second half to get things rolling.

Like what I saw from Joseph throughout the game. Thought he played very well considering it's his first game against competition in this level. Thought he played under control throughout the game and did a nice job of handling the point guard duties.

I thought silent G played very well did a lot of good things out there. He really rebounded very well.

Trevor is Trevor at this point. I don't think we'll ever see him really be a consistent great shooter we will just have to take his streaky shots when we can get them.

The only really disappointing player today really was Roberson. He for some shots and really look out of sync with the rest of his teammates. But he did rebound the ball well which we know he's going to have to do for us to be good.

No superstars in Cmac and KJo?

I look forward to watching the replay of the game. It was hard to get the players synced up with their numbers. I really don't know what anyone looks like. Patterson getting rid of the locks made me sad because (1) he looked good, (2) more importantly, he was easy to identify. Very glad BJ is keeping the headband. I am sure he was frustrated that he didn't get any points. As far as I remember, he didn't take any shots. But they weren't coming to him like they were coming to Patterson. It was really fun to watch the game and SEE the energy flow and how certain moments were IT. And Patterson was usually there to catch the wave. Great execution.

Cooney needs to take one more second. He never once caught the wave in this game. I wish Boeheim would have taken him out in the second half, let him rest, and give BJ more of an opportunity. (Please, don't mix me up with who plays what position and how that doesn't make sense!) Christmas was hapless in the first half. I was stunned by it, actually. I don't know what happened in the second half, but suddenly he was on.

Joseph twisted his ankle or did something with his foot. Didn't seem serious but at the very end of the game he didn't dribble down court, instead was fiddling with his shoe or something by his ankle. I was shocked when I looked up and saw he had scored 17! McCullough saved us in the first half. Silent G steady.

Very disappointed in the student section. No one was there! You would think after that football game yesterday they would be in their seats, slavering like dogs. No excuses! Even though the house was not very full and we were all pretty tepid in the first half, it was fun to see and feel everything coming to life in the second half. I honestly didn't expect to win the game, and suddenly it became important. Not life and death important, but important enough...

I went to the Ravens section at half time to find Doug, who had been posting on our board, but no one knew him. I had a nice chit chat with some of the fans, and we were mutually complimentary about each other's teams. (At that point, I was pretty sure we were going to lose the game, and my compliments were very sincere. Ha ha!)

Going to watch the replay now. It will help me sound smarter. SO GLAD BBALL HAS STARTED!
Bballbeadle, thanks for the "in the dome, at the game account". It provides us out of towner, out of staters a perspective we don't often get. Good job!

One thing that impressed me is that Rak had three fouls in first half and stayed clean the second half.. CMAC picked up his third early in second half and stayed clean the rest of the way. We are going to need these guys to stay out of foul trouble. Both of them were aggressive on the offensive end as well. Great game to watch.

All in all great 1st exhibition against a very good quality team. We won with Rakeem pulling a 3 foul no show in the 1st half, Cooney never making a shot and not getting much of anything from Tyler or BJ. That is pretty impressive.

Kaleb will have his ups and downs but all in all he is going to be a stud who can get his shot whenever he wants. Super impressed by him.

Chris was also very impressive doing a little bit of everything. I was pleasantly surprised to see that he didn't press for shots and was able to play hard for long stretches without getting a shot. He is going to have to get better rebounding the ball as he missed about 4 that were right in his hands.

Mike is going to be a great utility player for us and has really stepped up his D and rebounding playing on the back line. Although he isn't a PG he is still a quality replacement at that position and can handle running the show.

Can Rak do what he did in the second half against P5 front lines? I hope so, loves seeing him drive with conviction and play the whole second half without picking up any fouls.

Buss is a lightning rod. Team energy jumps when he is in. I wondered if he would carve out PT for himself and obviously games like today will have JB calling his number.

I'm not worried about Cooney, he will have his ups and downs but he always garners defensive attention and plays good defense.

Chino, hard to tell much except that he wasn't all there on defense and JB was quick to toss anyone he could in at the 5 including Roberson which is certainly not a good sign.

Tyler, Tyler, Tyler . . . . . . . JB's dog house boy this year already. So much promise but blown defensive asignments all over the place and then a handful of bad shots. I still feel that he just needs to settle in but It was certainly not a great 1st showing this season. The good news is if you don't have game JB won't waste his time talking to you when he pulls you. JB spent a lot of time talking to Tyler.

I thought BJ was very active and played good position D on the back line while having active hands. He had one nice drive where he got a bit out of control at the end. Other than that he didn't press and take bad shots to his credit unfortunately he didn't get a lot of opportunity or minutes. I hop to see him get more run next game.

I thought JB was made great halftime adjustments and our defense which looked horrid the first 10min was much improved in the 2nd half but we absolutely must be a better rebounding team moving forward.

I went to the Ravens section at half time to find Doug, who had been posting on our board, but no one knew him. I had a nice chit chat with some of the fans, and we were mutually complimentary about each other's teams.

You asked the wrong people. At half time, I was wandering around the stadium checking out site lines from various sections. Sorry, I missed you.

It was a nice game to watch in a great facility. Similar to last year, you suffocated us with your defence and your bigs under the basket in the second half.

I have been reading the various comments on here and it seems that a great game by Thomas Scrubb has gone un-noticed by Syracuse fans.

I have to mention that every Carleton fan at the game was very aware that the Canadian flag was not on display in the opening ceremonies and that the Canadian national anthem was not played. Good news was that the beer vendors were selling Canadian beer!

Anyway, enjoyed the trip and hopefully another Syracuse/Carleton game can be arranged in the coming years.

Last edited:
You asked the wrong people. At half time, I was wandering around the stadium checking out site lines from various sections. Sorry, I missed you.

It was a nice game to watch in a great facility. Similar to last year, you suffocated us with your defence and your bigs under the basket in the second half.

I have been reading the various comments on here and it seems that a great game by Thomas Scrubb has gone un-noticed by Syracuse fans.

I have to mention that every Carleton fan at the game was very aware that the Canadian flag was not on display in the opening ceremonies and that the Canadian national anthem was not played.

Anyway, enjoyed the trip and hopefully another Syracuse/Carleton game can be arranged in the coming years.

Really? There used to be a Canadian flag hanging back when I lived in CNY [which admittedly was 15 years ago].

Thomas Scrubb was very strong today. Hit a bunch of tough shots, including several over our shot blocking center.

...Gbinije really rebounded well!

Yeah he did!

Talk about something to watch in coming games. Would love to see him prove me wrong (after I said he's a liability on the back line). On the other hand, I'd like to see Roberson cement his role and eat up more of those minutes.

I thought for McCullough's first game he showed a lot inside and out. I think he will be a joy to watch this season. I remember it took Donte Greene a long time to realize that he could score (and get to the line) by driving and playing in the paint. McCullough's game, albeit only one so far, looks much further developed than Donte.

Agree. He also went after rebounds more aggressively than many of our freshman forwards do. Great start for him.

If Roberson keeps jacking up 15-20 footers, he'll be eating a lot of Alpo this season.

He takes a horrible shot. He misses. He sits.

EDIT: A picture is worth 1000 words...

Tyler%20Roberson.JPG

Two missed rotations, too; this might make Boeheim even more frustrated than the missed shots.

I think Roberson's a very good player, but he played worse today than he did at any time last season. It'll only get better from here...

It will help me sound smarter. SO GLAD BBALL HAS STARTED!

You sound smart enough already. If you're watching the replay, you'll hear the announcer say it was a shoe issue, and that GMac told him to double knot it. I have no idea if they were joking or not, because they were off on a couple of things before that, but not to the point they bothered me. Great post, thank you!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom