Veteran's Roll Call: All Veteran's or those who have a Veteran relative, sound off! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Veteran's Roll Call: All Veteran's or those who have a Veteran relative, sound off!

th

th

"True Story" and "There I Was", only this is real. While stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB, OH, the metrology (a.k.a. PMEL or Calibration) lab was staffed predominantly with civilians, most of whom were former servicemen. We had one gent, a friendly, quiet old Marine, whose shoulders were nearly three feet apart would get on the lab intercom shortly after starting the day on each November 10, and announce something like, "HAPPY MARINE CORP BIRTHDAY! OOH-RAH!" and would silently walk away, until next year.

I'll never question your drinking skills again.

If you have ever been to the Yongsan Compound in Seoul you may know that the front door of the Lower Four Club is about 50 yards from the Honor Guard barracks.

That club on weekends after paydays was filled with 11B Infantry troops from "up North" and was like one of those saloons in Western movies. A fist-fight every 15 minutes.

I'll bet I can still do a passable manual of arms with an M-14 or 1903 Springfield.

2 grandpa’s in WWII, only 1 made it back
2 Uncles in Korea
Dad ‘Nam

‘We fought, so You don’t have to”.

Got a cousin who’s done both Iraq’s and been to Afghanistan etc so many times I’ve lost count.

God Bless You All.

Last edited:
Anyone who tells you the French aren't (ed. let me repeat that aren't proofreader syndrome made me miss what I typed) appreciative doesn't know what they're talking about. I went to the museum in Arromanches (the site of the British Mulberry harbor) and there was a whole busload of 4th-5th graders in there being told about what happened. I went to the US cemetery, and the French Air Force Academy cadets were there for a ceremony along with a lot of people who were obviously not Americans.

Absolutely true. I visited a family that had a house right near Omaha Beach. They had just entertained some of the D-Day veterans who had come there for a reunion.

He said the French marveled at the fact that many of the Americans --- from rural spots like Bedford --- couldn't have found France on a map. But they came and fought and died and the heavy hand of German occupation was lifted.

Some of the American perception of French attitudes towards America were driven by de Gaulle and led to maybe the greatest quote of all time.

de Gaulle wanted France out of the military part of NATO. He told our Secy of State he wanted all US troops out of France.

LBJ shot back, "The dead ones too?"

When told of LBJ's question de Gaulle's response was stony-faced silence.

If you have ever been to the Yongsan Compound in Seoul you may know that the front door of the Lower Four Club is about 50 yards from the Honor Guard barracks.

That club on weekends after paydays was filled with 11B Infantry troops from "up North" and was like one of those saloons in Western movies. A fist-fight every 15 minutes.

I'll bet I can still do a passable manual of arms with an M-14 or 1903 Springfield.

I spent a year at Yongsan. I feel like the Lower Four Club has changed names though. I in-processed with a couple Honor Guard guys, spent a year with a BAC no lower than .1 at all times. Still good friends to this day.

I spent a year at Yongsan. I feel like the Lower Four Club has changed names though. I in-processed with a couple Honor Guard guys, spent a year with a BAC no lower than .1 at all times. Still good friends to this day.

When I was there the Commanding General wrote a memo to everybody that said, "You should not look at your time here as a lost year that can be made palatable only by heavy drinking and cavorting with prostitutes".

"Amazing", I thought, "the guy captured the essence of the whole experience in one sentence". I even got screwed up a few times on that rice wine we called "Mah-cli" or Mockli". That stuff made that morning PT run up and down those hills a terrible task.

If you came up the hill from the HQ building with the parade field on your right the road bent to the right. At that gate was where the Lower Four Club was. On the way out the gate to It Tae Won and Japanese Village.

When I was there the Commanding General wrote a memo to everybody that said, "You should not look at your time here as a lost year that can be made palatable only by heavy drinking and cavorting with prostitutes".

"Amazing", I thought, "the guy captured the essence of the whole experience in one sentence". I even got screwed up a few times on that rice wine we called "Mah-cli" or Mockli". That stuff made that morning PT run up and down those hills a terrible task.

If you came up the hill from the HQ building with the parade field on your right the road bent to the right. At that gate was where the Lower Four Club was. On the way out the gate to It Tae Won and Japanese Village.

Haha CG had it right.

My SGM was a runner, used to show up everyday and no matter what we were doing for PT that day, he’d grab “A-train” (company’s better runners) and off we’d go. He loved going up to Seoul tower and back. Running down the street, prostitutes lining the store fronts. I remember him coming up next to me on one of our runs. He asked if I was feeling alright. I said I was fine and what was up. He said “you didn’t party last night, just making sure everything was good” I said, how the hell do you know I didn’t party last night SGM? He said “well, you haven’t thrown up yet”

I spent like 4 hours in a bongo circle in the middle of Hongdea (sp?) drinking mockili lol loved that stuff. Somewhere there’s a video of me chugging a bottle of soju in like 3 seconds

F9CB3761-C55A-4D38-A6EA-21D8F1ECA62B.jpeg
Haha CG had it right.

My SGM was a runner, used to show up everyday and no matter what we were doing for PT that day, he’d grab “A-train” (company’s better runners) and off we’d go. He loved going up to Seoul tower and back. Running down the street, prostitutes lining the store fronts. I remember him coming up next to me on one of our runs. He asked if I was feeling alright. I said I was fine and what was up. He said “you didn’t party last night, just making sure everything was good” I said, how the hell do you know I didn’t party last night SGM? He said “well, you haven’t thrown up yet”

I spent like 4 hours in a bongo circle in the middle of Hongdea (sp?) drinking mockili lol loved that stuff. Somewhere there’s a video of me chugging a bottle of soju in like 3 seconds

Army '55 - '57
Father 77th Division WWI Wounded in the Argonne Forrest
Mother Navy Ordinance Inspector WWII
Cousin Navy WWII Gunner on Merchant ships.
Cousin Army WWII South Pacific.
Cousin Army Korean Conflict.

Grandfather - WWI won the French Croix de Guerre for his service as an ambulance driver
Uncle 1 - D-Day and Battle of the Bulge (where he freed a number of U.S. prisoners)
Uncle 2 - Air Force - Korea
Dad - WWII and Korea. Biggest action was in a port in Japan as officer on duty when he refused the Captain's drunken order to take ship out to sea.