Virginia Game Preview (April 22, 2023, 2pm) | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Game Preview (April 22, 2023, 2pm)

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
The Orange face-off against the Cavs in what is for all intents and purposes a playoff game for SU. It should be a really tough game for the resurgent Orange. The Cavs are strong all over the field with no inherent weaknesses. A win for the Orange frankly looks unlikely, but heck, anything can happen right? That's why they play the games they say. Let's see what the Orange can do.

UVA has a dynamic attack, so much so that the number 2 recruit in the country is on the bench and the number one recruit from last year is playing midfield. I am frankly not sure how the Orange defense matches up with the Cavs attack. If Landon Clary is still out (we still think concussion?) I have to imagine Olexo will be on Shellenberger, Dwan on Cormier and Kol on Dickson. UVA has really great ball movement, and for a slide happy defense that could spell trouble. The UVA first midfield is no slouch either and it feels like SU's diminutive SSDM's could struggle against a group that includes heavyweights like McConvey and Schutz (one will get the pole, but still). Perhaps this is a game that SU decides that a zone defense is the best option.

On offense I do think SU can score on UVA. The Cavs like to press out on defense but despite not matching up well physically with their ACC counterpart, SU has historically been able to score on them. Good ball movement and snappy passing can create problems for any defense. And while Matthew Nunes is coming off a 17 save performance against Duke, he's only saving the ball at a 51% percentage. If the Orange have possession I think they can put up points.

That therein lies the issue however. The Orange have been struggling against good face-off units and they face one of the better ones in Petey LaSalla. He's perhaps not having his best season but he's at 56%. Perhaps the Orange can find a spark here and expose some sort of weakness. If not they will have to be really careful with the ball, last week's adventures in clearing the ball simply can't happen.

Here's to a competitive game. The Orange lost the face-off and possession battle last weekend and still won, but can't expect the same to happen against a good Virginia team. If they are going to lose face-offs they need to make saves and clear the ball effectively. They'll need to be on their A game for this one.

They can't make mistakes and like u said bring their A game. Will Mark has to be at his best like the Duke game best. Everyone has to be at their best and hope Virginia makes some costly mistakes. Like u said anything can happen that's why they play the games. Even tho Virginia is coming off a loss to Duke they know they can't land the number 1 seed and might not play with the same passion and hunger as this SU team fighting for a tournament berth along with the seniors last two games of their careers. They know this could be the last two or make tournament and go on so I think the team will give Virginia everything they have. If they play em tough for 60 mins they might have a chance that last minute to pull it off. That's all we can ask for and hope for the best. No matter what the future is bright.

Obligatory annual trash talk - broken china, bald tires, and greasy pizza boxes.

Wing play will be key on faceoffs. UVa FOGOs have traditionally been very good at getting the ball out of the scrum. What has been a problem (when not an old-fashioned pinch and pop) is whose wings scooped it up. One defensive tendency for us is to double a dodger trying to force him away from going toward the crease. It does leave someone open if the pass comes quickly. A lot of times the double catches the ball carrier by surprise (and the retreat is forced) and he can't react quickly enough to get off a pass to the man the slider left before someone on the opposite side slides to the open man.

Shellenberger has seemed hobbled for the past couple of weeks. He's looking more to pass than score himself. Cormier and Dickson (Anish's "Slim Reaper") have benefitted greatly from this and have a knack to come open on cuts near the crease. Cormier and McConvey have the stereotypical Canadian stick skills. Recently, a bunch of teams have tried to put an SSDM on Cormier so they can pole both McConvey (who was pretty quiet vs. Duke last game) and Schutz. Cormier can dodge. He's not as much of a threat on the dodge as he is around the crease, but he can dodge. It seems like if he gets 2 or 3 off the dodge, teams have gone back to poling him.

Ricky Miezan (another former #1 recruit) is a speed dodger in the midfield à la Duke's Nakie Montgomery, but, as one would expect of a former D-1 starting linebacker, can bull dodge as well. There have been a couple of instances of his literally running over an SSDM who dared to bodycheck him which creates sliding situation havoc because he dodges with his head up and is just as willing to pass as shoot. Garno is a "catch, step, and shoot" outside shooter. He has really benefitted from long possessions with a lot of dodging behind the goal because the defense tends to collapse into the middle anticipating a slide, leaving him open on the outside. Patrick McIntosh started on attack against Ohio State when Shellenberger was out and has been scoring a lot running in the midfield. Evan Zinn has been playing SSDM and usually comes up with a punt return clear when we need one. Against Duke he scooped up a loose ball, leaving 2 Duke players in the dust, and scored on the break. The Duke players were battling him for the ground ball, and he just kept pulling further and further away as he ran down the field.

Nunes had a spectacular 2nd half against Duke. He made the saves that he needed to make and came up with some stops on the doorstep. He (Texas) and the 3 starting poles, Saustad (Texas), Matsui (Minnesota), and Kastner (California), are all from west of the Mississippi, I'm not sure whether Saustad or Kastner will be on Spallina. An argument can be made for either. Kastner is taller than just about everyone he covers and is good at pushing attackers around. Saustad is a traditional cover pole who usually gets the other teams #1 attacker.

Looking forward to a competitive, fast game that is the trademark of UVa against SU.

Last edited:
Obligatory annual trash talk - broken china, bald tires, and greasy pizza boxes.

Wing play will be key on faceoffs. UVa FOGOs have traditionally been very good at getting the ball out of the scrum. What has been a problem (when not an old-fashioned pinch and pop) is whose wings scooped it up. One defensive tendency for us is to double a dodger trying to force him away from going toward the crease. It does leave someone open if the pass comes quickly. A lot of times the double catches the ball carrier by surprise (and the retreat is forced) and he can't react quickly enough to get off a pass to the man the slider left before someone on the opposite side slides to the open man.

Shellenberger has seemed hobbled for the past couple of weeks. He's looking more to pass than score himself. Cormier and Dickson (Anish's "Slim Reaper") have benefitted greatly from this and have a knack to come open on cuts near the crease. Cormier and McConvey have the stereotypical Canadian stick skills. Recently, a bunch of teams have tried to put an SSDM on Cormier so they can pole both McConvey (who was pretty quiet vs. Duke last game) and Schutz. Cormier can dodge. He's not as much of a threat on the dodge as he is around the crease, but he can dodge. It seems like if he gets 2 or 3 off the dodge, teams have gone back to poling him.

Ricky Miezan (another former #1 recruit) is a speed dodger in the midfield à la Duke's Nakie Montgomery, but, as one would expect of a former D-1 starting linebacker, can bull dodge as well. There have been a couple of instances of his literally running over an SSDM who dared to bodycheck him which creates sliding situation havoc because he dodges with his head up and is just as willing to pass as shoot. Garno is a "catch, step, and shoot" outside shooter. He has really benefitted from long possessions with a lot of dodging behind the goal because the defense tends to collapse into the middle anticipating a slide, leaving him open on the outside. Patrick McIntosh started on attack against Ohio State when Shellenberger was out and has been scoring a lot running in the midfield. Evan Zinn has been playing SSDM and usually comes up with a punt return clear when we need one. Against Duke he scooped up a loose ball, leaving 2 Duke players in the dust, and scored on the break. The Duke players were battling him for the ground ball, and he just kept pulling further and further away as he ran down the field.

Nunes had a spectacular 2nd half against Duke. He made the saves that he needed to make and came up with some stops on the doorstep. He (Texas) and the 3 starting poles, Saustad (Texas), Matsui (Minnesota), and Kastner (California), are all from west of the Mississippi, I'm not sure whether Saustad or Kastner will be on Spallina. An argument can be made for either. Kastner is taller than just about everyone he covers and is good at pushing attackers around. Saustad is a traditional cover pole who usually gets the other teams #1 attacker.

Looking forward to a competitive, fast game that is the trademark of UVa against SU.
Soooo your saying one goal game.. lmao

The Orange face-off against the Cavs in what is for all intents and purposes a playoff game for SU. It should be a really tough game for the resurgent Orange. The Cavs are strong all over the field with no inherent weaknesses. A win for the Orange frankly looks unlikely, but heck, anything can happen right? That's why they play the games they say. Let's see what the Orange can do.

UVA has a dynamic attack, so much so that the number 2 recruit in the country is on the bench and the number one recruit from last year is playing midfield. I am frankly not sure how the Orange defense matches up with the Cavs attack. If Landon Clary is still out (we still think concussion?) I have to imagine Olexo will be on Shellenberger, Dwan on Cormier and Kol on Dickson. UVA has really great ball movement, and for a slide happy defense that could spell trouble. The UVA first midfield is no slouch either and it feels like SU's diminutive SSDM's could struggle against a group that includes heavyweights like McConvey and Schutz (one will get the pole, but still). Perhaps this is a game that SU decides that a zone defense is the best option.

On offense I do think SU can score on UVA. The Cavs like to press out on defense but despite not matching up well physically with their ACC counterpart, SU has historically been able to score on them. Good ball movement and snappy passing can create problems for any defense. And while Matthew Nunes is coming off a 17 save performance against Duke, he's only saving the ball at a 51% percentage. If the Orange have possession I think they can put up points.

That therein lies the issue however. The Orange have been struggling against good face-off units and they face one of the better ones in Petey LaSalla. He's perhaps not having his best season but he's at 56%. Perhaps the Orange can find a spark here and expose some sort of weakness. If not they will have to be really careful with the ball, last week's adventures in clearing the ball simply can't happen.

Here's to a competitive game. The Orange lost the face-off and possession battle last weekend and still won, but can't expect the same to happen against a good Virginia team. If they are going to lose face-offs they need to make saves and clear the ball effectively. They'll need to be on their A game for this one.

UVA is probably the worst matchup for this current SU team even more so then ND when you look at it from an offensive and faceoff standpoint. I don't know Clary's status but if he's remotely healthy he needs to play for SU to have a chance (assuming he's cleared concussion protocol).

SU will likely have to short Cormier or Dickson because there's little chance they can put a shorty on McConvey or Schutz's big asses and have any success defending from up top. There's no real good answer for SU here to be honest. UVA isn't a team you can really zone unless your an excellent zone team and even then I think it would be a stretch. Cormier and Dickson and McConvey are to good of shooters to really zone them for an extended period. You could try playing straight up but not double polling leaves you at a massive disadvantage unless you have two excellent SSDMs which very few schools have.

Face guarding Shellenberger is not like face guarding Teat as this UVA team has way more weapons but some teams have had some limited success. I am worried that SU will struggle big time in the 1st half as Petro actually had a short on Schutz in the 1st half of the first game last year who absolutely ate us up (despite all of us predicting it beforehand).

If I was Petro I would strongly consider the following to at least try and slow UVA down.
If Clary plays I put him on Shellenberger and tell him to face guard him as much as possible, force someone else to be the main feeder. I would put Olexxo on McConvey and Caccamo on Schutz. Then it's a matter of who you want to short between Dickson and Cormier, neither is a great option and they have nearly identical statistics. I would probably learn toward Dickson but that's just me. Whoever you short stick has to be Aviles guy all game, full stop. I'd also strongly consider giving Dwan a short stick this game and playing him at SSDM when Aviles needs a blow, Murphy and Rosa don't have the foot speed needed to matchup. I also think you have to make it clear to whoever is marking Cormier and Dickson that they have to no slide regardless of what is happening, if Connor or Shellenberger or Truit break free on a dodge, so be it. I doubt we will actually do that but Cormier and Dickson have killed teams all year on slides. Thankfully Dickson is gone after this year and hopefully Cormier will forego his COVID year.

UVA is probably the worst matchup for this current SU team even more so then ND when you look at it from an offensive and faceoff standpoint. I don't know Clary's status but if he's remotely healthy he needs to play for SU to have a chance (assuming he's cleared concussion protocol).

SU will likely have to short Cormier or Dickson because there's little chance they can put a shorty on McConvey or Schutz's big asses and have any success defending from up top. There's no real good answer for SU here to be honest. UVA isn't a team you can really zone unless your an excellent zone team and even then I think it would be a stretch. Cormier and Dickson and McConvey are to good of shooters to really zone them for an extended period. You could try playing straight up but not double polling leaves you at a massive disadvantage unless you have two excellent SSDMs which very few schools have.

Face guarding Shellenberger is not like face guarding Teat as this UVA team has way more weapons but some teams have had some limited success. I am worried that SU will struggle big time in the 1st half as Petro actually had a short on Schutz in the 1st half of the first game last year who absolutely ate us up (despite all of us predicting it beforehand).

If I was Petro I would strongly consider the following to at least try and slow UVA down.
If Clary plays I put him on Shellenberger and tell him to face guard him as much as possible, force someone else to be the main feeder. I would put Olexxo on McConvey and Caccamo on Schutz. Then it's a matter of who you want to short between Dickson and Cormier, neither is a great option and they have nearly identical statistics. I would probably learn toward Dickson but that's just me. Whoever you short stick has to be Aviles guy all game, full stop. I'd also strongly consider giving Dwan a short stick this game and playing him at SSDM when Aviles needs a blow, Murphy and Rosa don't have the foot speed needed to matchup. I also think you have to make it clear to whoever is marking Cormier and Dickson that they have to no slide regardless of what is happening, if Connor or Shellenberger or Truit break free on a dodge, so be it. I doubt we will actually do that but Cormier and Dickson have killed teams all year on slides. Thankfully Dickson is gone after this year and hopefully Cormier will forego his COVID year.
Think I would chose putting the long pole on Cormier over Dickson. Cormier has done a bunch of damage off the dodge this season. Has burned our ssdms in recent games. Can use the body to easily against most short stick matchups. Dickson not useless off the dodge but at least there isn’t the physical factor.

Think I would chose putting the long pole on Cormier over Dickson. Cormier has done a bunch of damage off the dodge this season. Has burned our ssdms in recent games. Can use the body to easily against most short stick matchups. Dickson not useless off the dodge but at least there isn’t the physical factor.

It may have been worded oddly in my post but that's my recommendation as well, I would put a pole on Cormier.

It may have been worded oddly in my post but that's my recommendation as well, I would put a pole on Cormier.
Ah I see it now. Wonder if we would ever keep the D unit that has been together the last few weeks and use Clary’s speed on the wing/LSM. Have to get creative there. Sageder is doing very well for a freshman but I saw some rough moments from him on the wing against UNC. I think Olexo and Aviles are a legitimate good wing unit but it’s a steep drop off after that and we need them to be fresh for their other roles.

Throwbacks for Lax Alumni Weekend. Late edit: To really be like our old helmets, the "panels" should be alternating blue and orange, with an orange panel in the front.

Last edited:
Ah I see it now. Wonder if we would ever keep the D unit that has been together the last few weeks and use Clary’s speed on the wing/LSM. Have to get creative there. Sageder is doing very well for a freshman but I saw some rough moments from him on the wing against UNC. I think Olexo and Aviles are a legitimate good wing unit but it’s a steep drop off after that and we need them to be fresh for their other roles.

I've been beating the drum for new blood on teh wings pretty much the entire year but at this point it seems the staff is dead set on the two deep as it currently is. I like Sagedar a lot but he has definitely had some struggles. Surprised they haven't gone to Trujillo and a young pole or a guy stuck on the bench (the Lemoyne transfer for 1) and given them each a shot.

I think Clary would do excellent there but with his injury history not sure it's worth the risk assuming we can actually get him on the field for more then a quarter.

Looking like pretty significant rainfall throughout the game, FWIW.

I don't think u can put a short on Dickson. He can score and feed. They will let him run the offense if u put a short on him. He's to good. U gotta pole him. UNC has big mids and the short sticks played well. There not as good as Virginia's mids but I would think there better off covering the bigger guys then a speedy Dickson who can do it all. Aviles, Murphy and Rosa will play physical. Rice can get pushed around like he did a little against UNC by the cage but the best matchup for the guys we have is to pole Shelly, Dickson and Cormier. Asking Dwan to play with a short stick is not as easy as it sounds. It's a big adjustment to cover one on one with a short stick. He's been playing with a pole for a long time I'm sure. Not saying he cant do it but it's asking a lot of a freshman to adjust in a few days. No matter what 6 on 6 we don't match up that well but if they play tough D and Will Mark brings his A game then u run with it and hope our offense can torch there D. Hopefully Clary is is fully healthy and ready to go. That would be huge for the D.

Last edited:
Also pole either Schutz or McConvey. Pick ur poison. Lol

Last edited:
If SU is gonna win this game it's gonna have to be a 19 - 17 or something. The offense has to go off. Virginia is gonna score I mean there is only maybe two defenses that can even compete with their offense 6 on 6. They put up 13 on Maryland and what 15 on ND? No matter who you pole there gonna score. All 6 of them should have poles on them. Lol Just to many weapons so our offense has to click and have its best game of the season. SU has to out score them to pull this off. If any of us expect our D to contain them it's not gonna happen. Now Will Mark can have a huge day and steal some goals which is what we need and our O to go off. I think our offense can beat there D and Nunes.

Last edited:
I think both 6v6 offenses will do well and It will come down to possessions, more than usual.

So Cuse needs to do better in the middle of the field than they have all year... fos, gbs, clearing, and riding.

They do those things, IMHO, they have a shot at upsetting Cavs.

Not totally related to this point, but it was interesting to me that when Clary got back into the lineup (however briefly) against Princeton, they kept Dwan on as a starter and moved Caccamo to back up LSM. When Clary went out Caccamo moved down to cover Clary's mark (Mackesey). They could have easily went back to their pre-Clary injury lineup with Dwan going back to the bench, but they didn't. I'm guessing that they've liked what they've seen from Dwan.

Not to get too ahead of myself (lots of season left) but, if everyone who is expected back does indeed return, SU will have six longsticks with starting experience (Caccamo, Clary, Dwan, Kol, Olexo, Sageder) for five spots, PLUS their presumed top cover guy in Figuerias back next year. That's not even taking into account Jordan Beck who played on man-down, or top recruit Donny Scott. It should be really fascinating to see who cements starting spots next year.

Not totally related to this point, but it was interesting to me that when Clary got back into the lineup (however briefly) against Princeton, they kept Dwan on as a starter and moved Caccamo to back up LSM. When Clary went out Caccamo moved down to cover Clary's mark (Mackesey). They could have easily went back to their pre-Clary injury lineup with Dwan going back to the bench, but they didn't. I'm guessing that they've liked what they've seen from Dwan.

Not to get too ahead of myself (lots of season left) but, if everyone who is expected back does indeed return, SU will have six longsticks with starting experience (Caccamo, Clary, Dwan, Kol, Olexo, Sageder) for five spots, PLUS their presumed top cover guy in Figuerias back next year. That's not even taking into account Jordan Beck who played on man-down, or top recruit Donny Scott. It should be really fascinating to see who cements starting spots next year.
Think your assumptions on Dwan are correct. He has had some nice offball plays blocking passes in the last couple games. Really like his decisions/stick skills on clears as well. Rarely do you see a team defense mistake recently. 1v1 he doesn't seem to have been challenged a lot these last couple games so I wish I had a better example of him turning away an intimidating dodge attempt. Think his footspeed is the weakest in our close D right now. Would not be my first choice to try as a desperation ssdm based on that alone. That frame plus more D1 level strength training and he should have a future against a teams big strong attack who is less about ankle breaking moves. Has had a ton of valuable experience this year that could easily have not happened at all if we were healthy. The only silver lining to the injuries really.

Next year my ideal roster spots for the long poles would be Dwan Figgie and Caccamo at close with Olexo and Clary back where they always belonged at LSM.

Been a few posters talking about converting to ssdm.. we have Hunter coming in next year.. I’ve seen him play 2 way and he’s tall like Powellfan likes
The other is Donny Scott.. with him playing box maybe he could go shorty
Just random thoughts

Next year my ideal roster spots for the long poles would be Dwan Figgie and Caccamo at close with Olexo and Clary back where they always belonged at LSM.

Yeah, in my mind that's the preferred lineup. That said, Kol has been mister consistency and has been pretty solid. I remember him getting beat by James Mattan from UNC in their first matchup but other than that there isn't many issues I remember. He's mostly guarded other teams third guy but I think he's been pretty solid. Also he's a captain with two more years eligibility left. Not sure what the answer is but I have a hard time he won't factor in somehow.

The major concerns that keep me from thinking we can win this our the team defense and basically every aspect of the middle of the field. Zinn is a weapon in the middle of the field, even if he does make some mistakes as an ssdm in 6v6. Lot of people here said we should have passed on a guy like Zinn when he entered the portal, now with our current situation on wings and at ssdm I think we can see why that was the wrong way of thinking. There will always be value in guys with elite foot speed. He is great on the wing, and in transition (at least some of the time). Connor plays ssdm as well and goes without saying he is a threat in transition. They killed UNC in unsettled situations in their match up on a sloppy day. Lasalla is also the biggest threat to score of any face off guy we will see.

Olexo is great in 1v1 defense this year and while he is good on the wing, I dont think we have anyone on the level of Bower (#25) in that department. Not a caused turnover machine but he is a serious gb hunter for them. The type of guy we are also craving this year. The lesser wing guys will be in trouble against him.

The defense these past two games have limited the goal total to below a lethal amount. That is worthy of praise, but you do still see plenty of overly aggressive early sliding, disorganized rotations/two slides, and guys getting beat off the dodge. We can live with some guys getting beat tomorrow, but the first two will be total killers if we don't wake the hell up. UVA moves the ball on a whole other level compared to UNC. Maybe similar to what Princeton can do, but a hell of a lot more intimidating dodgers to cause trouble in the first place. There were situations last weekend where I was thinking "if it was Dickson and Shellenberger on this play we would be screwed." Certainly plenty where I was thanking god for Will Mark.

Think we will be ready and motivated when it comes to clearing the ball. UVA uses similar aggressive tactics to UNC, including the 10 man ride. We were nearly perfect in the second half of the UNC game. While many insist on firing everyone over it, the tape shows a lot of what could only be described as "human error" not errors in coaching or scheme necessarily.

The combo of Lasalla, plus minimal defensive depth that we can trust, is going to lead to some goals. We really need big games from our ssdm dodging middies, whether that is Leo, Simmons, Thomson, Kirst, or whoever. Tough to generate looks off the dodge when you are up Kaestner or Saustad. They are really not on the level of a ND or MD when it comes to their team defense. Ssdms are worse at 1v1 defense than those teams as well. The only way we don't put up goals is if we get overwhelmed in a shock and awe situation early and just get totally discouraged. Fortunately this group did not back down when that happened against ND and MD. But can we find the energy to stay with a team like this for the whole 60 mins? Really tough task. Think if we can keep them in range into the 4th we have a shot. Guys should have more confidence in late game situations after these last two games.

some reasons for cuse fans to have a degree of optimism:
- 2 of uva's shorties have been good in transition but not as good on the ball. some of cuse's 2 man may make that worse. they are good athletes, but late stage offensive guys.
- nunes has been better than credited for, but the hoos give up a ton of good shots

most importantly:
- lasalla has not been altogether dominant much this year, and has pressed the turnover button more than occasionally
- if the game isn't moved prior to rain (they're talking about a time change), uva has been gawdawful @ home on slick turf. their cleats are hot garbage.
- shellenberger was not 100% or probably close to it last saturday. their offense may not be the same with a good d effort and mark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom