Virginia Has Never Lost After Leading By Ten @ The Half | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Has Never Lost After Leading By Ten @ The Half

MarketCuse

Scout Team
Except when playing against Syracuse. Pretty sure they were 58-0 when we beat them in the Elite Eight last year, so that would make them probably around what 70-2 when leading by 10 at the half.

Tony Bennett is probably eagerly awaiting a JB retirement.

:)

Awesome stuff, but UVA has a brutal offense. Bennett's song and dance will get old soon. You cant count on holding teams to under 55 pts. The worst offense for a top 10 team i have ever seen.

Awesome stuff, but UVA has a brutal offense. Bennett's song and dance will get old soon. You cant count on holding teams to under 55 pts. The worst offense for a top 10 team i have ever seen.
But it works (unless they're playing the Orange).
They win without great athletes but with fundamentally sound, smart basketball.
Virginia almost never beats themselves.
Can't imagine they've had too many other games where they've turned it over 15 times as they did Saturday.

But it works (unless they're playing the Orange).
They win without great athletes but with fundamentally sound, smart basketball.
Virginia almost never beats themselves.
Can't imagine they've had too many other games where they've turned it over 15 times as they did Saturday.

To date, they win the way Pitt won in the Howland/Dixon era before they started to slide. I think TB is a better coach than Dixon, but he's looked shellshocked in both our comebacks, so maybe not? Their recruiting has caught up to their results and Jerome and Guy are going to be thorns in our side for years. I'm just not convinced that style will win tournament games beyond the Sweet 16 most years.

I understand that style points or entertainment do not win you games, but what a boring team to watch play offense. The offense is for the most part very methodical...dot to dot

That was JBs team, not Hops.

Lol. Hop was there for every practice. He coached those 9 games and recruited many of the players. Again, nice guy. Remains to be seen if he's a "good coach"

Lol. Hop was there for every practice. He coached those 9 games and recruited many of the players. Again, nice guy. Remains to be seen if he's a "good coach"
JBs team in JBs own words.

If you ever played sports, it's not the same when your longtime coach is not there and an assistant is running the show.

I don't think the offense is that bad. Its slow paced but when he has good personal they generally get good shots. The issue this year for them is that they have no real post threat and Guy and Jerome aren't up to par defensively yet even if they are a big plus offensively. Yes the defense is the backbone and the constant but lets not pretend that they have had horrible offense over the last 4 seasons. They have has some pretty efficient offensive teams to my recollection.

The one weakness that the pack line has IMO is when a team can spread them out and drive them without ball screens. That is the key to defeating that defense because they are great at guarding ball screens and recovering.

To date, they win the way Pitt won in the Howland/Dixon era before they started to slide. I think TB is a better coach than Dixon, but he's looked shellshocked in both our comebacks, so maybe not? Their recruiting has caught up to their results and Jerome and Guy are going to be thorns in our side for years. I'm just not convinced that style will win tournament games beyond the Sweet 16 most years.

That's a much more fair evaluation than simply saying their offense stinks.

I don't think the offense is that bad. Its slow paced but when he has good personal they generally get good shots. The issue this year for them is that they have no real post threat and Guy and Jerome aren't up to par defensively yet even if they are a big plus offensively. Yes the defense is the backbone and the constant but lets not pretend that they have had horrible offense over the last 4 seasons. They have has some pretty efficient offensive teams to my recollection.

The one weakness that the pack line has IMO is when a team can spread them out and drive them without ball screens. That is the key to defeating that defense because they are great at guarding ball screens and recovering.

They had a post threat. Austin Nichols. He was kicked out the team. Just another reason Bennett is a great coach.

They had a post threat. Austin Nichols. He was kicked out the team. Just another reason Bennett is a great coach.

Agreed. He's done great this season considering that. I don't get how anyone can say he isn't a great coach at this point.

Agreed. He's done great this season considering that. I don't get how anyone can say he isn't a great coach at this point.

Yup and Boeheim certainly seems to hold him in high regard.

Interestingly enough, according to per-possession stats, adjusted for opponent, Virginia has the 14th best offense in the country. Ours is #30. The reason they don't score a ton is because they slow the game down. They shot 48% from the field and 50% from 3 against us. It wasn't their offense that lost the game, it was their defense.

Has to prove it with Final Four/National Championship game appearances. As Jimmy said, March is what matters in college basketball.

Virginia is only like Pitt in the regard that they like to play a slow methodical style. Virginia plays great defense but they never played "dirty" in my observation. Pitt's mentality over the past 15 years (under Dixon) has been to dictate the physicality (i.e. make things so physical that the refs only call the most extreme fouls on them). In essence, it seems like sometimes the refs changed the standard for what was actually a foul for Pitt since they were so physical on every play and they aren't going to call everything, only the worst violations. This strategy appeared to work well in the Big East regular season where a lot of teams played a physical bruising style. It hasn't translated as well to the ACC or the NCAAT. In the end, Pitt is more fun to watch under Stallings although the results so far haven't been as good. Bennett seems to like a slow / methodical style and has had some success against Syracuse (not in the last 2 games) but he has never left a bad taste in my mouth like Dixon / Howland.

That was JBs team, not Hops.

Still a reason for concern. Youd hope the coach we have had im waiting for over 10 years would atleast have a winning record. Theres no way to tell if Hopkins is a good head coach. He struggled when givving a difficult circumstances but those doubts will be in Cuse fans heads until he proves otherwise

Recruiting is our most important priority.

JBs team in JBs own words.

If you ever played sports, it's not the same when your longtime coach is not there and an assistant is running the show.

This is true. However, I don't envy Hop. He will have to convince the fans he has what it takes. He will be working on a short leash.

For all JB's success, he nearly did not make it past the 70's, working on the Roy short leash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom