virginia lost by 35 to tennessee last nite | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

virginia lost by 35 to tennessee last nite

I remember going to a Virginia Tech message board after the 3rd year in row they were snubbed (all fair snubs IMO). There was posts about Suing the NCAA, leaving the NCAA, conspiracies of every kind. They were pissed.

I was not a member of this board (or any SU board) back in 2007 and 2008 - was it that bad after the 2007 snub here?
Don't recall it being that bad, after all SU inevitably made it back to being a significant player. One common theme I remember was that there's an artificial cap on bids per league, which has since been proven to be false.

(a) The team that beat 'nova this weekend is a Final Four team at worst. Strength and depth with JB at the height of his powers directing the action. I don't think we will be challenged in the ACC as much as we were in the Big East. Just don't see it this year at least.

(b) Some combination of injuries (Preston Schumpert's eye, Onuaku's knee), academics (Fab Melo) and sheer stupidity ('Melo, Edelin, Josh Wright) has bedeviled us at the end of the year more often than not.

The ACC is bad this year. Lowly Virginia Commonwealth has already blown out Boston College and Virginia Tech and has beaten Virginia. Georgia Tech has been blown out by Vanderbilt. Miami lost to St. Francis.

Slip ups can happen in the OCS, but when these kind of teams are getting blown out by weaker programs, it raises a red flag.

Not to take away from the point, but since when is VCU lowly? They went to the Final 4 last year and were pre season top 15. They got off to a slow start this year, but would still probably be the 4th best team in the ACC.

But ya the ACC is bad as we have been saying all along

Don't recall it being that bad, after all SU inevitably made it back to being a significant player. One common theme I remember was that there's an artificial cap on bids per league, which has since been proven to be false.

Yeah that was my favorite. I really wish I had kept a list of all the theories on the selection committee that I read that turned out to be false. I remember a big one was Ohio State was a bubble team the year after they made the finals, and their AD was a big guy on the selection committee, so of course they wouldn't be snubbed by the committee. Until they missed out. Another one was no way would a 12 win SEC team get snubbed. (Alabama 2011) And I cant remember this one for sure, but I feel like there was a lot of "no way a power conference team only gets 2 bids". (Pac 10 2010)
Edit: I also remember a big discussion last year about how there was no way IU would get a 1 seed and not be sent to Indy. So much for that one also

Oh, I know they were in the Tournament. I was in Cole Field House for the Richmond debacle.
And that makes it even worse, not better.

I don't know how you handle disappointment. Some people don't have a problem with it. But brace yourself because there are going to be nights when things don't fall for us. It's the nature of the college game and of basketball itself. A 14-4 ACC record is pure optimism given history.

if we are 14-4 i will be extremely disappointed

if we are 14-4 i will be extremely disappointed

If you have been an SU BB fan for a long time, than you're no stranger to disappointment. It comes with the territory.

We are going to lose some ACC games. We are going to have off nights. The opponents are going to shoot the light out some days.

That's College basketball.

If you have been an SU BB fan for a long time, than you're no stranger to disappointment. It comes with the territory.

We are going to lose some ACC games. We are going to have off nights. The opponents are going to shoot the light out some days.

That's College basketball.

yes i am well aware of the disappointments, but post Melo Center these let downs have been few and far between. These aren't the teams from the 90's or 00's anymore we now have the elite talent and JB has the zone clicking like never before.

You will have a What loss. This is the ACC...it happens to good teams. You will go on the road to play a team with like 7 wins and some random white guy from the bench who isn't even on scholarship will drain 10 threes against you. Meanwhile, his team will celebrate like crazy after beating a top 3 opponent and then lose out for the rest of the year.

Welcome to the league.

Not to take away from the point, but since when is VCU lowly? They went to the Final 4 last year and were pre season top 15. They got off to a slow start this year, but would still probably be the 4th best team in the ACC.

But ya the ACC is bad as we have been saying all along

No - VCU did not go to the final 4 last year. They beat Akron and then lost to Michigan by 25. They play the likes of La Salle, Fordham and St. Bonaventure in the Atlantic 10. They should never be able to blow out teams from an elite power conference.

No - VCU did not go to the final 4 last year. They beat Akron and then lost to Michigan by 25. They play the likes of La Salle, Fordham and St. Bonaventure in the Atlantic 10. They should never be able to blow out teams from an elite power conference.

maybe it was 2 years ago now it's all a blur. but if you think VCU is lowly then obviously you don't watch cbb. they have consistently beat power conference teams over the past decade

yes i am well aware of the disappointments, but post Melo Center these let downs have been few and far between. These aren't the teams from the 90's or 00's anymore we now have the elite talent and JB has the zone clicking like never before.

Whatever you say, Anomander, whatever you say. You obviously can't be persuaded.

Somehow I am reminded of a classified ad:

For Sale - Complete set of the Encyclopedia Brittanica. No longer needed. I am recently married and my new wife knows everything.

If your a good team, why dos it matter who you are affiliated with.

And your picking an unrepresentative group from the A-10 - It would be like saying Syracuse used to play with the likes of Rutgers, DePaul and South Florida in the Big East.

The A-10 is a step from but not that far below power conferences - it has some nice teams this year in St. Louis, UMass, Dayton, GW and VCU. And it had good programs in the past handful of year that it lost this year (Xavier, Temple, Butler).

Whatever you say, Anomander, whatever you say. You obviously can't be persuaded.

Somehow I am reminded of a classified ad:

For Sale - Complete set of the Encyclopedia Brittanica. No longer needed. I am recently married and my new wife knows everything.

Well I don't know this team seems to be compared with the 11-12 team that was 17-1 (Loss Cincinatti) and the 09-10 team that was 15-3 (2 losses L'ville, G'town) in a much tougher Big East. If this team is as good as I think it is and many others then wouldn't you say it would be a disappointment if we were worse then 14-4? It's my opinion, obviously you feel the other way, i'm not trying to change your mind.

Well I don't know this team seems to be compared with the 11-12 team that was 17-1 (Loss Cincinatti) and the 09-10 team that was 15-3 (2 losses L'ville, G'town) in a much tougher Big East. If this team is as good as I think it is and many others then wouldn't you say it would be a disappointment if we were worse then 14-4? It's my opinion, obviously you feel the other way, i'm not trying to change your mind.
We ain't losing more than 4 conference games this year. I recall townie predicting 6 or 7 losses, that would be a huge disappointment and I would really like to know where those losses will come. The acc sucks this year, flat out sucks. I'd put the o/u conference losses at 2.5.

Hey we could always invite Houston into the ACC. That would make the league tougher. Haha!

I'm with anomander on this. We are a different program the last six years and Jim Boeheim has never been a better coach. This team won't slump like last years team. Too many consistent performers. If we would of had a What loss, it would of came against St. Francis.

Actually, my previous response was off target. And I'm not trying to attack you.

But, when you post, "These aren't the teams from the 90's or 00's anymore we now have the elite talent and JB has the zone clicking like never before." it comes across to me as a "RutgersAl" type of vision. It's over-the-top.

Best talent ever? We have had an awful lot of very good players and I certainly don't think this current set is all that much better than what we have seen for the past twenty years. The only potentially "elite" talent I see on the floor is Grant.

We have been fortunate so far this year with outrageously good 3 pt shooting and atypical (for SU) foul-shooting and a couple of teams that showed up without their best players.

You might be proven right. But as of right now, I, for one, don't believe it. This is a good team ... a surprisingly good team. But the jury is still out as to whether they are as good as you apparently think they are.

'Cuse is very good this year. UNC's 2009 team was one of the best I've ever seen...that team started out 0-2 in ACC play (lost to Wake Forest and Boston College, if I recall correctly). Duke's 2010 title team lost to unranked NC State. Just get ready for it...it will happen, but when it does, it isn't the end of the world.

Townie72 said:
Actually, my previous response was off target. And I'm not trying to attack you. But, when you post, "These aren't the teams from the 90's or 00's anymore we now have the elite talent and JB has the zone clicking like never before." it comes across to me as a "RutgersAl" type of vision. It's over-the-top. Best talent ever? We have had an awful lot of very good players and I certainly don't think this current set is all that much better than what we have seen for the past twenty years. The only potentially "elite" talent I see on the floor is Grant. We have been fortunate so far this year with outrageously good 3 pt shooting and atypical (for SU) foul-shooting and a couple of teams that showed up without their best players. You might be proven right. But as of right now, I, for one, don't believe it. This is a good team ... a surprisingly good team. But the jury is still out as to whether they are as good as you apparently think they are.

Ennis is an elite talent. He's the main reason I don't see us losing more than 2 or 3 games in ACC and having a legit chance to win it all.

If your a good team, why dos it matter who you are affiliated with.

And your picking an unrepresentative group from the A-10 - It would be like saying Syracuse used to play with the likes of Rutgers, DePaul and South Florida in the Big East.

The A-10 is a step from but not that far below power conferences - it has some nice teams this year in St. Louis, UMass, Dayton, GW and VCU. And it had good programs in the past handful of year that it lost this year (Xavier, Temple, Butler).

So you list the 5 strongest! Look, of the 10 teams in the Atlantic-10, only one is ranked - UMass at #23 and they recently lost to Florida State, hardly the power house of the ACC. While VCU is a pretty good team this year, it is embarrassing to the ACC that they have been able to beat 3 of their teams.

Actually, my previous response was off target. And I'm not trying to attack you.

But, when you post, "These aren't the teams from the 90's or 00's anymore we now have the elite talent and JB has the zone clicking like never before." it comes across to me as a "RutgersAl" type of vision. It's over-the-top.

Best talent ever? We have had an awful lot of very good players and I certainly don't think this current set is all that much better than what we have seen for the past twenty years. The only potentially "elite" talent I see on the floor is Grant.

We have been fortunate so far this year with outrageously good 3 pt shooting and atypical (for SU) foul-shooting and a couple of teams that showed up without their best players.

You might be proven right. But as of right now, I, for one, don't believe it. This is a good team ... a surprisingly good team. But the jury is still out as to whether they are as good as you apparently think they are.

I definitely agree that this isn't the most talented team in the JB era. The one's in the late 80's and early 90's will be hard to ever match. I am talking about in comparison to the rest of cbb. Obviously the 1 and 2 and done's have watered down cbb. The game was much better during those times, but in comparison to today's talent I would consistently put Syracuse's roster in the top 5

Looking at the schedule and trying to figure out where the losses are going to come from doesn't seem like overconfidence to me.

Printing 40-0 t-shirts prior to the season, OTOH ...

werent they supposed to be a "dangerous" team in the acc this year? if we lose more than 2 games in this conference im gonna be disappointed.
I saw them play against Wisconsin Green Bay. It was a road game for Va, but even taking that into account, they looked extremely...ordinary.

at pitt will be tough since we always play terrible there. we close with 4 of the last 5 on the road so thats the rough part of the schedule, but i really think we're gonna be undefeated at 23-0 going into the pitt game on the road on feb 12.
I was thinking the same thing yesterday looking at the schedule with different eyes than in the pre-season. Thing is, even though historically we are a great road team, I do not like that l4 of the last 5 games on the schedule are road games, and one is at Duke. They are all winnable on paper but road games in sports tend to be a crapshoot. We should have an extraordinary record entering the last Pitt game. I am concerned that a tough road loss somewhere in this period would hurt psychologically more than most. On the other hand , we did not look particularly "Final 4ish" down the stretch last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom