Virginia Tech AD says ACCN To Launch later This Year | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Tech AD says ACCN To Launch later This Year

Yep, just saw this on the ACC BBS* b4 coming here and was going to post it. It makes sense. A prior post on this site (by me) noted that ESPN will not pay $45 million per year for "nothing". They will have something in their hand that can generate $$$ for them. As I understand according to Wes Durham of Raycom (and previously an announcer for the Georgia Tech Athletic Association), ESPN was contractually obligated to pay $3 million per team per year for all 15 teams in the absence of a network by July 1, 2016 (smart move by the ACC to put that in writing - "with a written agreement you have a prayer, with a verbal agreement you have nothing but air"). Your man Arb was right also when he said the start-up costs would not be too bad since the SEC network is run out of the ESPN studios in CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA! And, just maybe this is the reason ESPN did not compete for "Big 10" rights for the lion's share of their games (and Alabama beating Michigan State 38-0 did not help matters for them either - Clemson potentially could have won their game if not for a kickoff return).

*http://csnbbs.com/thread-778474.html

Last edited:
Consider me skeptical. Not one note on Twitter about this...surprised that something of this nature wouldn't be picked up by anyone but this on poster on the Hokie board.

And if this really does come into "reality" (such as it is), "Ninja Swofford" will have struck again! Hee hee hee hee hee!

It is easier to be a critic than a doer! - paraphrase from the late Dr. Wayne Dyer

Yep, just saw this on the ACC BBS* b4 coming here and was going to post it. It makes sense. A prior post on this site (by me) noted that ESPN will not pay $45 million per year for "nothing". They will have something in their hand that can generate $$$ for them. As I understand according to Wes Durham of Raycom (and previously an announcer for the Georgia Tech Athletic Association), ESPN was contractually obligated to pay $3 million per team per year for all 15 teams in the absence of a network by July 1, 2016 (smart move by the ACC to put that in writing - "with a written agreement you have a prayer, with a verbal agreement you have nothing but air"). Your man Arb was right also when he said the start-up costs would not be too bad since the SEC network is run out of the ESPN studios in CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA! And, just maybe this is the reason ESPN did not compete for "Big 10" rights for the lion's share of their games (and Alabama beating Michigan State 38-0 did not help matters for them either - Clemson potentially could have won their game if not for a kickoff return).

*http://csnbbs.com/thread-778474.html

Speaking of Arb, you sure do write like him...

Hard to see the demand for an ACCN from subscribers or a desire to bring it to them from ESPN.

guys its vpi.

those hillbillies finally deciphered and read a memo from about 4 years ago.

nothing to see here.
It was at a meeting of donors...not some 'eer with a computer in a trailer.

Hard to see the demand for an ACCN from subscribers or a desire to bring it to them from ESPN.

Basically all these networks suck save for the actual live sports programming in FB/BB and a few other sports. ESPN is belt tightening but as mentioned: ESPNNEWS could be converted quickly. If true...I think you'll find much of the Network content will be produced locally...SU with Newhouse should excel.

Speaking of Arb, you sure do write like him...
Hi everybody...been a long while...note the following:
  • Good analysis above
  • ESPN had a choice and chose not to go 100% after B!G
  • ESPN is in cost saving mode but it will only POSITIVELY AFFECT THE ACC
  • There is movement and I believe that we will all be pleased with the result with announcement coming within 6 months
  • NINJA has a lock down but leaks are trickling down the pipe
  • Look for much of what we discussed earlier with RAYCOM still in...digital will be significant--ACC already has #1 conference digital footprint
  • ESPN chose not to pay $30-$45 million for NOT having a ACCN...it is going to happen...
Congrats to 'Cuse men and women in bball...and note how well university is doing in the Capital and Director polls...BEST EVER!

IT"s good to be 'Cuse!

Color me skeptical but if the ACC gets a network it would keep the conference afloat and likely result the in the Big XII being chopped up in a few years.

The fact that ESPN hasn't overpaid in the Big Ten is huge. The Big Ten is getting paid but not as highly as they thought. The bubble have popped. I don't think these networks are the end all be all with cable boxes shrinking.

Welcome back Arbs,

Thanks for the update. Some of us (most of us actually) greatly appreciate whatever information you can provide.

Keep it coming.
Yeah I don't get the venom some throw his way. I never took Arb to be pretending to be an insider. He always consolidates the available information.
It helps put it to everyone's attention.

Count me in as one who appreciates arbs posts. I think there is some jealousy here over how much attention he gets, and hence some criticism.

Anyway, love reading his posts and the way he writes keeps it intriguing (regardless of whether you feel the information has already been disseminated)

Love it, Arb!

Yeah I don't get the venom some throw his way. I never took Arb to be pretending to be an insider. He always consolidates the available information.
It helps put it to everyone's attention.

He has claimed to have several sources. And then "proves" his sources are right by linking articles. Not once has he had info that wasn't publicly available. It is nice to have this info consolidated, especially if one does not pay attention to all that is out there. That should be appreciated by all.

As a long distance fan, I appreciate any information. As an adult, I know to weigh all information and filter it according to actual facts. As one who wears my Orange tinted glasses every now and then, @&$! 'em all!

Seriously, whether someone posts inside information or brings together well documented information, I appreciate it. I even will read the Dude's info ( usually when I need a laugh) and Frank the Tank's info when I need a B1G centered perspective, etc.

Attacking those trying to share what they find seems pointless. If someone breaks a story, they usually don't have all the facts and will miss on some points. If someone wants for the points to be settled, they are generally late comers (this tends to be me, I cannot keep up with all of you and your inside connections, though my well connected source near the nation's capital has assured me that Oklahoma to the B1G is imminent, to be announced any day now, unless things change).

Regardless, cutting down our fellow fans does nothing for the quality of the discussion.

Disclaimer: Rutgers fans, opposing fans and the few psychos who are merely trolling are not included above and should be properly beaten in accordance with their offenses.

As a long distance fan, I appreciate any information. As an adult, I know to weigh all information and filter it according to actual facts. As one who wears my Orange tinted glasses every now and then, @&$! 'em all!

Seriously, whether someone posts inside information or brings together well documented information, I appreciate it. I even will read the Dude's info ( usually when I need a laugh) and Frank the Tank's info when I need a B1G centered perspective, etc.

Attacking those trying to share what they find seems pointless. If someone breaks a story, they usually don't have all the facts and will miss on some points. If someone wants for the points to be settled, they are generally late comers (this tends to be me, I cannot keep up with all of you and your inside connections, though my well connected source near the nation's capital has assured me that Oklahoma to the B1G is imminent, to be announced any day now, unless things change).

Regardless, cutting down our fellow fans does nothing for the quality of the discussion.

Disclaimer: Rutgers fans, opposing fans and the few psychos who are merely trolling are not included above and should be properly beaten in accordance with their offenses.

My point was he should act more like Frank the Tank, who admits to having no info an is just giving his informed opinion, and less like the Dude, who is full of .

Who is to say who has inside info? It may be public already and is consolidated for you. There is usually reading between the lines and some inferences but it's all fluid. There is no concrete until it happens why treat it as anything more than the direction it is trending.

Going back to the original topic, it looks like others that were at the meeting are saying that the VA Tech AD did not say anything about an ACCN this year. Which makes sense. Think about it, an ACCN is not going to launch in the middle of football season. So it would need to happen by August the latest. There is no reason for the ACC nor ESPN to keep it hush hush. They would announce it as soon as possible so they could promote it and start selling advertising. Also Swofford could throw it in Delany's face. If they were 3 months away from launch, we would have heard something.

Going back to the original topic, it looks like others that were at the meeting are saying that the VA Tech AD did not say anything about an ACCN this year. Which makes sense. Think about it, an ACCN is not going to launch in the middle of football season. So it would need to happen by August the latest. There is no reason for the ACC nor ESPN to keep it hush hush. They would announce it as soon as possible so they could promote it and start selling advertising. Also Swofford could throw it in Delany's face. If they were 3 months away from launch, we would have heard something.
Makes sense. Which also means that the additional $3M per year per school will be forthcoming on July 1.

Basically all these networks suck save for the actual live sports programming in FB/BB and a few other sports. ESPN is belt tightening but as mentioned: ESPNNEWS could be converted quickly. If true...I think you'll find much of the Network content will be produced locally...SU with Newhouse should excel.
A MUCH better option than getting our coverage through Raycom.

It was at a meeting of donors...not some 'eer with a computer in a trailer.

Yep, and Whit Babcock the Va Tech AD is said to a smart cookie, not someone who talks just to hear himself talk, and there were likely some high rollers in his audience.

Consider me skeptical. Not one note on Twitter about this...surprised that something of this nature wouldn't be picked up by anyone but this on poster on the Hokie board.
And there was no "early warning" anywhere that Pitt and Cuse were going to join the ACC either now was there? - whether Twitter existed in September 2011 or not. Things like that recently have been "above top secret". Friday a story about "talks" in the NY Times, Saturday a report on "applications" by CBS Sports, and Sunday the announcement by the two schools and the ACC. Swofford learned from his prior experience to hold those cards close to the chest.