"Virginia Tech Does a Great Job at Staying in front of their opponents" | Syracusefan.com

"Virginia Tech Does a Great Job at Staying in front of their opponents"

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
says the analyst tonight.

the correct quote is "VT does a great job at staying in front of this Syracuse team that has zero penetration ability, zero quicks, zero strength"

For as much crap as people gave Jalen, I can’t help but think we win the last 2 games if he was out there.

He’s clearly our best defender up top (not even close really) and can penetrate. No reason why he shouldn’t have been playing 25mpg

I agree about his defense, but the last thing this team is another non-scorer on the floor. We’re already playing 3.5 vs 5 and that’s not even counting the officials.

They stay in front and grab and hold and had check. Hughes was held all night long. With the refs calling noting, it gets worse as the game progresses. Maybe the game was too close, but sometimes getting a T does help.

We had a number of penetrations last night that simply failed to finish. In fact, I'd be willing to say we had more drives to the basket than any other game this year.

He's not a non-scorer. He is a guy who had lost confidence. Handled correctly he would have gained it back.

This is true. Benching this kid destroyed his confidence. It’s a damn shame! JGIII was ready to play, that is for sure. But JC could been the third guard.

For as much crap as people gave Jalen, I can’t help but think we win the last 2 games if he was out there.

He’s clearly our best defender up top (not even close really) and can penetrate. No reason why he shouldn’t have been playing 25mpg

25 mpg with a broken finger? He ain't Joel Embiid.

Except for the fact that he didn't want to pass the ball...

Last edited:
They stay in front and grab and hold and had check. Hughes was held all night long. With the refs calling noting, it gets worse as the game progresses. Maybe the game was too close, but sometimes getting a T does help.
During and after every game, this is posted a lot. "The refs let too much contact happen and Syracuse loses because of it." So what doe SU do to combat this permissive contact?

Too bad it's not possible to play a pressuring man D like the other 99% of P5 teams and take advantage of this shoddy refereeing. No, we'll just moan about it on an internet message board.

During and after every game, this is posted a lot. "The refs let too much contact happen and Syracuse loses because of it." So what doe SU do to combat this permissive contact?

Too bad it's not possible to play a pressuring man D like the other 99% of P5 teams and take advantage of this shoddy refereeing. No, we'll just moan about it on an internet message board.
Exactly. We could hold and hand-check, too. If we weren’t so busy being manipulated out of position, flying by- or fouling 3-pt shooters, watching the opponent rebound, and worrying about JB’s demon rage when someone scores on us because they understand the first thing you’re taught in basketball.

and our D does a great job staying too far behind the three point line.

You can't play man without someone able to handle the opposing big. Who would you have put against Mooney in the ND game? Yeah, I know, recruit a big. I'm all for it, but we're talking now.

You can't play man without someone able to handle the opposing big. Who would you have put against Mooney in the ND game? Yeah, I know, recruit a big. I'm all for it, but we're talking now.

Gurrier.

Agree with you, but the coach has said the players he recruited are not capable of playing man D.

and our D does a great job staying too far behind the three point line.

That's so they don't get beat on the drive. You have to pick your poison, and our bigs will foul out in the first half of every game if the guards don't back off a step to prevent the drive.

That's so they don't get beat on the drive. You have to pick your poison, and our bigs will foul out in the first half of every game if the guards don't back off a step to prevent the drive.
but our bigs are off in the corners trying to defend threes. lane is open.

He's not a non-scorer. He is a guy who had lost confidence. Handled correctly he would have gained it back.
When did he ever have confidence at this level?

He penetrates and: falls down, gets stripped, gets swatted, or misses.

but our bigs are off in the corners trying to defend threes. lane is open.

This is the dumbest aspect of the zone. It was never a part of JB's zone until Hakim Warrik went rogue and blocked Michael Lee's three point attempt at the end of the national championship game. That was a singular spectacular play by an amazing player (who wasn't even actually a center I might add).

Incorporating that as regular part of the defense is mind-boggling - I bet on average we give up more points because of that than would have been scored on the original three point attempt. Seems like every time Sidibe or Chukwu or Baye went flying out to the corner the opposition gets an offensive rebound and point blank shot if the original three doesn't go in...

This is the dumbest aspect of the zone. It was never a part of JB's zone until Hakim Warrik went rogue and blocked Michael Lee's three point attempt at the end of the national championship game. That was a singular spectacular play by an amazing player (who wasn't even actually a center I might add).

Incorporating that as regular part of the defense is mind-boggling - I bet on average we give up more points because of that than would have been scored on the original three point attempt. Seems like every time Sidibe or Chukwu or Baye went flying out to the corner the opposition gets an offensive rebound and point blank shot if the original three doesn't go in...

Spot on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom