Virginia vs North Carolina | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia vs North Carolina

I love watching UVA play D. His scheme is so solid. What is so impressive is how his guys play D from the waist down. Text book.

Why in the world would the acc schedule makers put one of the best games of the year up against the NFL?

I'm pretty sure during the late, late 70's, they trailed Duke 7-0 at halftime after going 4 corners the entire half. It is said this game was a major impetus for implementing the shot clock.

Final Duke 47-40.

It was against Virginia when they had Ralph Sampson, if I recall correctly it was on TV. And yes, that game was the impetus for the shot clock being implemented.

It was against Virginia when they had Ralph Sampson, if I recall correctly it was on TV. And yes, that game was the impetus for the shot clock being implemented.
Yes, Dean's use of the 4-corners for nearly the whole game against a Sampson team was the impetus for the shot clock. Interestingly enough, Johns Hopkins' use of stalling against us in lacrosse in 1973 was the impetus for for creating the "stall box" in lacrosse.

Last edited:
This is the game I was referring to.

Yeah, I’m over the 20 game conference schedule already. These teams should not be playing each other yet. Everybody sucks at this point in the season, and nobody really cares about any of this until the new year.
Yeah, I hate how everything in college sports has become so conference centered. I miss the mid season OOC basketball games against good teams like we had against schools like Arizona and Kentucky.

An 8 team league with a double round robin is perfect for basketball. we'll never get that again though.

Last edited:
This is the game I was referring to.

I see, yup, different games.

The one I mentioned was the 1982 ACC championship game, North Carolina with Jordan vs Virginia with Sampson - great teams with little action for a large part of the game. I do think this game was the straw that broke the camel's back and brought about the college shot clock.

in other news i watched a bit of seton hall/ iowa st. hall goes down but also loses their second leading scorer center Sandro Mamukelashvili 6 to 8 weeks . see if taureen thompson starts to see the floor more.

in other news i watched a bit of seton hall/ iowa st. hall goes down but also loses their second leading scorer center Sandro Mamukelashvili 6 to 8 weeks . see if taureen thompson starts to see the floor more.
Alot of big east forwards will be excited as their scoring averages are about to go up.

UVA is unwatchable. Unless Cuse is playing them or it's the natl chip I won't watch
Off the ball defense, grab, hold push just enough so the refs wont call it.

I laugh at those who say that college is better than the pros. National championship or not, they play an ugly brand of basketball and the lack of skills in this era of college player makes it better than it looks.

That may happen, but Thompson was a DNP even though Mamukelashvili was injured after playing only 5 minutes. The Hall must have TT buried on the depth chart, or maybe something else is going on.

I laugh at those who say that college is better than the pros. National championship or not, they play an ugly brand of basketball and the lack of skills in this era of college player makes it better than it looks.

People who say this stopped watching the NBA circa 2000 and their opinions at that time have simply calcified.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom